Grand Californian Super Thread

This is our first ever DL visit and we are staying CL premier view.What is the view like? I am curious about sleeping four people. We will need a pull-out or a day bed.
If you NEED a daybed, none exist with premier view :headache:
There are daybed rooms close the the concierge lounge, but unfortunately there is no guarantee you will get one.

Do the WoC fastpasses guarantee you a seat? Isn't it a show? Are they still giving out fastpasses to hotel guests?
Hotel guests are not getting any special treatment for WOC, since it is quite easy to get the passes. You should consider eating at Carthay Circle to get a Preferred Dining WOC fastpass :idea:

Read this 76 page thread about WOC...
World of Color Superthread
You only need to read the recently updated first post, and the last page or 2 :goodvibes

Wow! Things are so different from WDW. There are no seats for W of C? You just sit on the ground? I guess we will have to skip it. My DH cnnot sit on the ground due to leg condition. Is there handicapped seating for guests with disabilities? If so maybe we can do that. I am overwhelmed with how to organize this trip. I can do WDW blindfolded, but DL is all new to me. We are excited about going for the holiday decorations. Thanks for helping me.

You're right, it's very different. We are long time WDW vets as well...it took a visit or 2 to California for me to really appreciate it...and now I prefer it to WDW.

And actually the sitting for WOC is just while you wait...then you get to STAND :)

Hotel guests are not getting any special treatment for WOC, since it is quite easy to get the passes. You should consider eating at Carthay Circle to get a Preferred Dining WOC fastpass :idea:

We just had lunch @ Carthay Circle today & got the fastpasses for WOC (did not ask for them but came with the meal) but where is the special viewing area? We were not planning on seeing the show tonight but if the view is better than the front by the railing then we shall go back tonight just for the show!

We just had lunch @ Carthay Circle today & got the fastpasses for WOC (did not ask for them but came with the meal) but where is the special viewing area? We were not planning on seeing the show tonight but if the view is better than the front by the railing then we shall go back tonight just for the show!
I hope you go to the show.
My favorite Preferred Dining WOC location is one level up from the "boardwalk" along the center curved railing :thumbsup2

There are no seats for W of C? You just sit on the ground? I guess we will have to skip it. My DH cnnot sit on the ground due to leg condition. Is there handicapped seating for guests with disabilities?
Yes, there are benches for handicap seating. You still need to get WOC fastpasses earlier in the day.

The handicap benches are all located in the back, but the view is very good.
The VIP benches reserved for corporate guests and VIP tours is also in the same area.

I just booked a resort/theme park view room for the GC from Disney by phone with the AAA discount. They emailed me a printed Disney confirmation, but I don't see the room type listed on it... it says "CH P4 / 1" . Should I call them back? That doesn't look like an abbreviation for resort view, lol.

Also, the last time, we stayed in a standard view room. Any recommendations for a theme park/resort view room? We have a special needs son, so we may be in the room more than usual for downtime, and it'd be nice to have a great view. Do those rooms have daybeds? Our standard room did. Thanks for the help! :)

I just booked a resort/theme park view room for the GC from Disney by phone with the AAA discount. They emailed me a printed Disney confirmation, but I don't see the room type listed on it... it says "CH P4 / 1" . Should I call them back? That doesn't look like an abbreviation for resort view, lol.

Also, the last time, we stayed in a standard view room. Any recommendations for a theme park/resort view room? We have a special needs son, so we may be in the room more than usual for downtime, and it'd be nice to have a great view. Do those rooms have daybeds? Our standard room did. Thanks for the help! :)

It isn't an abbreviation, its more of a code that they use which is difficult to decipher.

I booked a 1 bedroom suite with a park view back in March and the code for that room was a CH 1F/ 1.

Sorry if this has already been answered but Disneyland, The Grand Californian, and DVC are all new to me!

We are staying GC 2/24- 2/27 and the GC DVC 2-27- 3/2 for our 1st trip to DLR! It says in one of my guide books parking is free for DVC members: is that only when we are actually staying in the DVC unit or is the fee waived when staying at GC as well? ( we are brand new members):cool1:confused3

Disneyland is so different from WDW it is so confusing!

TIA
Tami

We are staying GC 2/24- 2/27 and the GC DVC 2-27- 3/2 for our 1st trip to DLR! It says in one of my guide books parking is free for DVC members: is that only when we are actually staying in the DVC unit or is the fee waived when staying at GC as well? ( we are brand new members):cool1:confused3
The "free parking" benefit is confusing, and I have not been able to find details about it in my DVC paperwork.

Stays at the VGC which are booked with points (even if the points are rented) include free Self Parking.

Stays at the GCH which are booked with points include free Self Parking, otherwise parking is $15/night.

Sunday 2/24 is Dapper Day. Although this is an unofficial event, Disney provides an excellent hotel rate (available 2/19 - 3/1).

Where is the self-park? Does GCH have it's own self-park lot or is it in one of the park garages? We have been confused on this as well. It probably doesn't matter, but we are staying at the hotel on points (not a villa). :(

The self park, outdoor lot, is across the street from the main entrance. We dropped off our luggage at the hotel first and then parked. It's not that far, considering how much walking we did in the parks.

The self park, outdoor lot, is across the street from the main entrance. We dropped off our luggage at the hotel first and then parked. It's not that far, considering how much walking we did in the parks.

Thank you. We were having trouble verifying this. Sounds like what we will do too.

We are going to be at the GC in early March. We have two rooms reserved with 5 people per room. Standard rooms were booked so we got the woods view. Did I read somewhere that the only rooms that have the couch/daybed is in the standard view rooms? We are really wanting connecting rooms but I think the couch would be more of a priority. One of the rooms it will be 2 adults and 3 small children, so they could end up sharing a queen, or the bunk bed room would work. The other room is going to be 2 adults and 3 teenage boys, so sharing a bed, or the small bunk beds, would not work. DH is very set on staying here rather than PPH, which I have read has couches standard in all rooms.

So, with having a woods view, are we out of luck on getting couches? If not, what are the chances on getting connecting rooms that sleep 5 without sleeping on the floor?

Parking at the VGC isn't actually "free". Owners pay for it with their dues, which is likely why staying on points on the hotel side also gains free parking.

The actual lot is across the street from GCH, next to PPH. Once you drive up to GCH, the gate attendant will give you a parking pass for the window. You can drop off your luggage, and head across the street. Just show that attendant the pass, and they will let you in and answer any questions. Also if you are not sure, just ask the GCH gate attendant, and they will direct you.

...So, with having a woods view, are we out of luck on getting couches? If not, what are the chances on getting connecting rooms that sleep 5 without sleeping on the floor?
Paying extra for a woods/garden/courtyard view might make it more difficult to get a daybed room (which are all classified as standard view).

You might try to call the hotel directly to have your room type downgraded and add a request for a daybed room.

My sister-in-law had a large group last month, and this was my advice based on information in this thread:
1. Call and request a daybed rooms (one of which was HA)
2. Make the reservation for 5 adults per room
3. Check in early

Following my instructions, she received adjacent daybed rooms. The rooms were not connected, but this might be caused by the layout of the HA room.

Paying extra for a woods/garden/courtyard view might make it more difficult to get a daybed room (which are all classified as standard view).

You might try to call the hotel directly to have your room type downgraded and add a request for a daybed room.

My sister-in-law had a large group last month, and this was my advice based on information in this thread:
1. Call and request a daybed rooms (one of which was HA)
2. Make the reservation for 5 adults per room
3. Check in early

Following my instructions, she received adjacent daybed rooms. The rooms were not connected, but this might be caused by the layout of the HA room.

That's what I was thinking as far as the view room. I was hoping to get a standard room to up our chances for a daybed, maybe I can offer to trade someone rooms, they'de get a view at the standard view rate;)

I will put on the reservation for 5 adults, thanks for the tip.
I will try to call the morning of to check in (that is allowed, right?) since we peobably won't get there until 12-3pm

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter