Grain-Free Casual Food Idea Needed

BadgerGirl84

I used to have a tag...
I'm having a guest over today around dinner time and she told me she eats "grain free" and if that's not an option she prefers "gluten free." She is my doula (a worman who will be assisting me in my birth)--I've met her once before and she's coming over to go over my birth plan, etc. It's more of a business meeting that just so happens to be over the dinner hour.

Since it falls over dinner, I told her I'd have some food available. I was thinking something casual--like pizza or wraps--not something where we'd be eating with a knife and fork at the dining room table.

So, like I said, before I found out she eats grain free, I was going to have just some pizza out or some subs or maybe some Chinese takeout. Any ideas on what to serve now? The only things coming to mind are nachos (I make really good nachos--but who knows, maybe she has an issue with corn chips, too) or baked potatoes with some different toppings.

Stick with the wrap idea, but have large lettuce leaves for her to use instead of the wrap.

Grain free definitely includes corn chips. She's probably eating whole foods. How about a rotisserie chicken and a bagged salad?

Corn is a grain. Chilled chicken Caesar salad, or I like the rotisserie chicken idea. Wraps with lettuce for her instead of bread.

BTW :thumbsup for using a doula!

I am gluten free. Today I had a lentil salad with wild rice and mango salsa. Also a slice of whole foods gluten free bread with avocado and sprouts. The salad was grain free I think.

Nachos are out.

I love lettuce wraps, but they can be a little messy to eat depending on the filling.

I think a veggie/fruit tray is a nice idea. Perhaps a cheese tray as well (sans the crackers).

You could also make a chicken salad ahead of time and serve over greens for a quick & easy meal.

ETA: Just remembered you didn't want to do a "utensil" meal. How about chicken salad on slices of cucumber for finger food instead?

My parents are wheat-free. This week I had them over and served: marinaded chicken kabobs on the grill, asparagus on the grill, zucchini and onion sautee, and seasoned black beans. It turned out to be a nice filling meal and easy to put together.

Reschedule for 3:00.

I like this idea the best. :rotfl:

We were originally going to have her over on Saturday afternoon but she had to reschedule to this evening.

I have half a watermelon in the fridge--I think I'll cut that up. I also like the chicken salad idea because I love chicken salad and if there's any leftover I'll eat it for lunch for a few days. I'll run out to the store for my chicken salad ingredients (celery, grapes) and also pick up a tub of hummus (making sure it's gluten free) to serve with some celery and cucumber slices.

I would (as someone with major food issues myself) either reschedule to a non-food time) or ask her what she would like to eat ie be very specific -she should be able to say, fruit/veg platter, meat, ect or ask her to bring her own food and you will have your own food. Honestly I find it very stressful for others to feed me she might to. Or not, but I would ask her, good luck with it all! I love bringing my own food -then we all get to eat, and I feel "safe". In case that feels weird to you.

And be careful with the chicken salad. As I learned last week, a lot of mustards have grains and gluten in them! Soy sauce does too.

I think it's very rude that she said anything to you especially given that you're employing her. Honestly, I'd have some snacks out (cheese & crackers along with veggies & a dip) and have my own dinner later after she left.

For goodness sakes, you're pregnant and she's expecting you to cater to her food needs. She certainly could have not said anything and just not have eaten if there wasn't anything she liked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter