Government shut down will affect you

Incorrect. The military will get paid for the days worked April 1-8, nothing after that until new budget or continuing resolution is passed. In addition, ALL LEAVE is cancelled. No one make take or be granted leave during shutdown in accordance with the Antideficiency Act. My DH is second in command at his unit and has been given these directives.

Refer to the OPMs weblink www.opm.gov/furlough2011 for further guidance.

It's a big fat turd sandwich, the whole thing!

Hmm... Our leave has not been cancelled?? We leave on Monday for Disney and we are good to go???

We are also military and I'm not worried about us personally. I have money in savings and credit cards I can use, but I worry about those who are lower rank who live paycheck to paycheck. I remember how hard it was when my hubby first enlisted, I can't imagine having to live on half of that :headache:

Hmm... Our leave has not been cancelled?? We leave on Monday for Disney and we are good to go???

We are also military and I'm not worried about us personally. I have money in savings and credit cards I can use, but I worry about those who are lower rank who live paycheck to paycheck. I remember how hard it was when my hubby first enlisted, I can't imagine having to live on half of that :headache:

If the shut down goes through his leave will be cancel I guess we will find out tomorrow. I feel the same way I feel so bad for my DH guys I told him to offer to lend them money if they really need it. I couldn't imagine to be put int that situation specially for those with kids.

I won't work/get paid *federal employee* :sad2: our National Parks tour this weekend *Bryce, The Grand Canyon & Zion* might be compromised... :confused3

I hope I'm wrong as well. It seems likely DH will be an excepted employee, so he'll be working and will get paid eventually. I just hope for the sake of all employees and their families that everyone will eventually get back pay. From the estimates I've read 800,000 workers could be furloughed. That can't be good for an economic recovery if they don't get paid.

If I don't work I don't expect to be paid ~ *I need to work* again I'm a federal employee.

We are going April 30-May 7 for DD8's birthday. I am hoping that this doesn't effect our leave because if we have to cancel the trip it is going to cost us a lot of money, even with trip insurance.

Not trying to be insensitive but traffic will be nice and light in DC next week for a change

I know, too bad the museums are going to be closed it would be a great time to visit DC. I want to drive on the beltway and actually go the speed limit. :laughing:

DH and I are in the process of adopting internationally, and are waiting on USCIS paperwork. Hopefully this shutdown doesn't hold this up too badly :sad2:

Good luck to everyone waiting. The uncertainty must be hard.

My DH is active duty army. He recently returned from Afghanistan. He is in KY right now but we (me, ds 11 and ds 6) live in PA. He is supposed to come home on the 11th and we are go to go Disney on the 19th.

So, he might still be able to come home and not get paid which means we really shouldn't go to Disney. Or he might not be allowed to come home at all wich means definitely no Disney trip. Plus we are supposed to be staying at Shades of Green for some of our stay which I don't even know if it will remain open or not.

I am just glad I didn't tell the boys we are going to Disney in April. It is supposed to be a birthday suprise. We will be able to switch it to summer time maybe. I was just so excited to be there for DS birtdhay.

I know 2 kids who are going to be quite upset not to see their dad if he doens't come home. This doesn't suprise me though. It is always one thing or another screwing up our plans as far as the military goes.

pepperderr

My DH and DSIS are both AD Army. We're all supposed to go on leave this coming week to go back to my hometown for my baby brothers wedding.

Now I'm crapping bricks. DSIS leaves tomorrow night before the deadline. We leave the 12th. So I'm not 100% sure how this is going to work. And to make matters worse noone has said anything....well nothings come thru the COC anyways.

DH told me I can go with the kids but I'm thinking I'd rather cancel the hotel and the rental car and save that money and just save the air for next year. It would stink because I'd miss my brothers wedding(it's his first and he's 32 years old) but we have no clue how long this shutdown would last and I'd rather be safe than sorry!

We also live in privatized Post housing and we haven't heard word one from them either.

I have to say I agree that in the current climate it is at least possible that those of us in a non-excepted status will not be given back pay for not working. I need to behave as if I am not going to be paid for a month and won't get that back.

Not trying to be insensitive but traffic will be nice and light in DC next week for a change

Except they have announced that anything under the park police (BW Parkway, GW Parkway, etc.) may be closed. I'll be coming to work as usual and was looking forward to lighter traffic, but if they start shutting down major routes into the District, it may not have that much of an effect.

It will be cancelled on Monday for the duration of the shutdown, if it happens.

It's because people can't be paid during a shutdown and leave means you'd get a paycheck while not working. You still won't be working, just won't be getting a paycheck either. At least until a budget is approved.

Regarding scheduled leave from OPM

Q: May an employee not excepted from the furlough take previously approved paid leave (e.g., annual, sick, court, military leave, or leave for bone marrow or organ donation) during a shutdown furlough?
A. No. All paid leave during a shutdown furlough period must be canceled because the requirement to furlough supersedes leave rights. The Antideficiency Act (31 U.S.C. 1341 et seq.) does not allow authorization of any expenditure or obligation before an appropriation is made, unless authorized by law. Paid leave creates a debt to the Government that is not authorized by the Act. Therefore, agencies are instructed that during a shutdown furlough, all paid leave must be canceled.

Q: May an excepted employee take previously approved paid leave or be granted new requests for paid leave during a shutdown furlough?
A. No. When an excepted employee is not working or not performing excepted activities in compliance with the Antideficiency Act, he or she cannot be in a paid leave status. Excepted employees must be either performing excepted activities or furloughed during any absence from work. The furlough must be documented by a furlough notice. If an excepted employee refuses to report for work after being ordered to do so, he or she will be considered in an absence without leave (AWOL) and will be subject to any consequences that may follow from being AWOL.

DH had a meeting Tuesday and they told him if they are furloughed he will not get back pay. He is full-time National Guard

Is he a federal tech or title 32 (AGR?) im guessing from this state hes a federal tech-basically a DOD civilian in a job that requires reserve member ship. AGR soldiers are active duty and will get back pay.
To the poster who's husband just returned from deployment-post deployment block leave is not "chargeable" leave-i.e its rather like a pass meaning the soldier is still considered to be 'working" so its possible it will be unaffected-im not sure about that.
Im a DOD contractor but i work on a firm fixed price contract that is already funded thru the 30th of June so i will keep working. DH is an M day NG soldier-he wont be paid for his last weekend drill and his annual training will be canceled or moved to a later date but we will still have income from his civilian job and we have a good emergency fund so we will be okay but im worried about my friends-and the guys i work with who are AD army and who wont be getting paid and wont be going on leave.

another military spouse here we could go 3 months maybe 4 before I got really worried. But DH has been in a long time... I'm so worried about those people living pay check to pay check there are lots of e1-e3 out there with a kid or two who barely find enough to make it through the month with all their pay. Also if they are on a base at least they wont be kicked out... i have a mortgage to pay personally. Also the military currently owes us about 13000$ beyond his regular pay check. We shelled out a great deal for a 2 month tdy we are still awaiting payment for and his bonus payment is due right now... technically he "earned" that 3 years ago when he reenlisted. Also i worry about our medical insurance my dd has a doc appointment on the 11 of april hope it's covered! I havent heard how it will effect our medical coverage or if it will but i believe tricare is a "government program" and not insurance but it also said that things related to health wouldn't be affected. Also retired military get paid but active duty doesn't.... WTH? I realize the money is coming from different places but they "say" they will pay us in the end so why not just pass the bill that gets the military their pay.

as for federal employees i feel bad about that but those soldiers putting their lives on the line (not my husband presently) its SOOOO WRONG.

I also worry about my neighbors. We are in a neighborhood heavy with Federal employees. Most of them would be furloughed. Also all the local businesses that depend on them to spend money will be devastated as well. Things will not be fine around here if there's a shutdown. People who don't even work for the government will be hugely affected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter