GoPro Advice

rrehman

Disney fan with a passion for cruising!
Can someone give some advice on GoPro Cameras? Looking on their website, they range from $129.99 to $499.99. It tells about them, but I can't really tell the differences. Just looking for something for my family for basic use of taking pictures and vids. I like the idea of the waterproof feature on I believe all of their cameras.

Quick thoughts...
  • no image stabilization
  • no optical zoom
  • most models don't have a LCD screen. You need wifi to your phone/tablet to see what you are looking at.
  • battery life may be an issue for long recordings
  • tripod mount cost extra
  • consider what accessories you need to your budget

Quick thoughts...
  • no image stabilization
  • no optical zoom
  • most models don't have a LCD screen. You need wifi to your phone/tablet to see what you are looking at.
  • battery life may be an issue for long recordings
  • tripod mount cost extra
  • consider what accessories you need to your budget
And all of the big camera manufacturers make waterproof cameras in the same basic price range as a GoPro, which usually have image stabilization, optical zoom, an LCD screen, larger batteries, and tripod mounts - Nikon AW120/AW130, Canon D20/D30, Olympus Tough, Ricoh, et cetera.

GoPro cameras are awesome for circumstances that require a tiny indestructible camera. However I wouldn't use them to replace a regular camera - based on your post, it sounds like you want a rugged waterproof camera for family photos, and there are much better options than GoPro for that.

Check out Nikon's waterproof CoolPix cameras or one of the other options in the post immediately above mine. They run about $200-$300 on Amazon and you may like their feature set more than GoPro.

GoPro cameras are awesome for circumstances that require a tiny indestructible camera. However I wouldn't use them to replace a regular camera - based on your post, it sounds like you want a rugged waterproof camera for family photos, and there are much better options than GoPro for that.

Check out Nikon's waterproof CoolPix cameras or one of the other options in the post immediately above mine. They run about $200-$300 on Amazon and you may like their feature set more than GoPro.
Thanks the advice. We have a nice Kodak one now, but it is over 10 years old. I can't tell you the last time we used it because our phones take such good pictures, we don't bother dragging it around anymore. I was looking for something to take better action pictures and videos other than or DVD camcorder and our phones. If our phones were waterproof, that may resolve our problem. I will look into the Nikon.

Thanks again.

If our phones were waterproof, that may resolve our problem. I will look into the Nikon.
Depending on what kind of phone you have, you may be able to find a waterproof case. Lifeproof makes some really good ones and I'd probably buy if they made one for my phone. They're not cheap, but definitely cheaper than a waterproof camera!

Thanks the advice. We have a nice Kodak one now, but it is over 10 years old. I can't tell you the last time we used it because our phones take such good pictures, we don't bother dragging it around anymore. I was looking for something to take better action pictures and videos other than or DVD camcorder and our phones. If our phones were waterproof, that may resolve our problem. I will look into the Nikon.

Thanks again.
Wow are you in for a shock - the quality of modern cameras is incredible compared to what you're used to with your old cameras. While your phone is good, newer cameras will take clean, sharp pictures in a fraction of the light level that the old ones did, have zoom lenses that are even more compact than ever with new lens grinding techniques, and much longer battery life. Compared to even a state of the art phone, there's no comparison: a real camera just takes better pictures.

Also, although there are lifeproof cases, you won't actually be able to take pictures with a wet phone unless you have a select few Windows Phone models for which they don't make lifeproof cases. The touchscreens don't work when wet. :)

The Nikon AW130 sounds like a pretty good fit. It has real buttons, and can be used by shaking the camera (gestures) as well, and with Wi-Fi to connect to your phone it's just as convenient as using your phone for pictures - without draining your phone's battery.

Wow are you in for a shock - the quality of modern cameras is incredible compared to what you're used to with your old cameras. While your phone is good, newer cameras will take clean, sharp pictures in a fraction of the light level that the old ones did, have zoom lenses that are even more compact than ever with new lens grinding techniques, and much longer battery life. Compared to even a state of the art phone, there's no comparison: a real camera just takes better pictures.

Also, although there are lifeproof cases, you won't actually be able to take pictures with a wet phone unless you have a select few Windows Phone models for which they don't make lifeproof cases. The touchscreens don't work when wet. :)

The Nikon AW130 sounds like a pretty good fit. It has real buttons, and can be used by shaking the camera (gestures) as well, and with Wi-Fi to connect to your phone it's just as convenient as using your phone for pictures - without draining your phone's battery.
I guess I will be in for a shock. My wife and I both use iphone 6 pluses, and are very happy with the quality.

I sell the Gopros at the dive shop I work at.

Here's the main differences between a gopro and a good point and shoot/dslr. Ill.use the 4 silver as it comes with a lcd screen built in.

Gopro.
No zoom etc.
Most acessories are separate and range from 20.00 to 100. Things like dual bat chargers frame kits etc.
Need the gopro app to upgrade the software.
WiFi shortens battery time.

Pro
Small and compact and great for snorkeling even diving.
Updates are avail the the gopro app.
Small enough to be unobtrusive in a lot of conditions like parade or watching fireworks etc.
Very light weight.
Can post right to social media from camera

Point and shoots pro
Small compact and fit in your pocket.
Most come waterproof for snorkeling rain etc
Relatively inexpensive compared to dslr
Long battery life

Con
Most have a zoom and digital zoom. Digital zooms are not that great for close ups.
Don't do too well for long distance shots

Dslr pro
Come with a multiple lense kit usually.
Great for taking a multitude of long range or close up pictures.
Lots of standard features like vibration reduction etc.

Con
Can be pricey depending on camera and acessories
Can be bulky

Last edited:
I guess I will be in for a shock. My wife and I both use iphone 6 pluses, and are very happy with the quality.

right, you're part of the 99% satisfied with cell phone pics
you are not a member of the elite 1%

Last edited:
I dont have any experience with GoPro either and i am looking into getting one. I mainly want it to take video and not be as bulky as my DSLR and it is a little more rugged than my iphone 6. Is the video quality worth it?

Yes. It takes a little experimentation to get the settings just right to your tastes. Just keep in mind that you can not zoom in with the camera.

Yes. It takes a little experimentation to get the settings just right to your tastes. Just keep in mind that you can not zoom in with the camera.

Are you saying yes to the video quality being worth it from my post?

Are you saying yes to the video quality being worth it from my post?
Yes the video quality is worth it if you don't mind not having a zoom. I got really good video of the Boo to You parade at WDW with mine in a frame.
What I meant by experimentation is that the cameras have different frame per second settings as well as different quality record modes. it takes a little bit of experimenting to get the video that you like. So in the end like anything else play with the camera before you take it to the park.

Also... do you plan to be shooting 4K? Does your computer have the horsepower to edit 4K?

Also... do you plan to be shooting 4K? Does your computer have the horsepower to edit 4K?
I have no idea if I plan on shooting 4K. I imagine my computer has the power, but I am not sure.

Yes the video quality is worth it if you don't mind not having a zoom. I got really good video of the Boo to You parade at WDW with mine in a frame.
What I meant by experimentation is that the cameras have different frame per second settings as well as different quality record modes. it takes a little bit of experimenting to get the video that you like. So in the end like anything else play with the camera before you take it to the park.

Thanks for the advice!

I have no idea if I plan on shooting 4K. I imagine my computer has the power, but I am not sure.

I haven't tried it yet, but the updated Gopro editing software is supposed to have corrected the issue of editing 4k video on a everyday computer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter