Goodings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the prescreen is about as helpful as you.

I know what the eligibility requirements are as told to me by my actually very helpful govt employee. Most people do not have a resource requirement. SOME do, but you made it seem as MOST do.

Its not funny. It's very serious that you could be giving false information to people who are in need of your assistance and you could be turning them away from something that they "need"

I can only hope a dis monitor closes this down....;) This is no longer about Disney but now taking an ugly turn into hatefulness....You are very bitter and sound like you might actually need a visit to the happiest place on earth.:wizard:

I'm glad you got what you wanted....:rolleyes1

Not only is it unethical in terms of this isn't what people had in mind when they created these programs, but it is also unethical because it will cause people to harbor ill feelings to these programs in general. That could lead to people pushing to abolish them.

I appreciate your well thought out post. I have never looked at it this way. I don't think that these programs will ever be abolished, but I do wish there was no shame for people who get assistance.
It is a humbling experience getting on a line and waiting just to fill out the forms, let alone having people stare at you as you pay for your groceries and your other items seperately. I had no idea when I walked into that office that I would get a job offer 1 month later, but I can tell you that I was extremely grateful.
However there shouldn't be a shame in the first place, people shouldn't be judging. No one here knows how long I've been on food stamps, how much of it I'm even getting, or how much I have in my bank. And you don't know the situation of the other person either.

I can only hope a dis monitor closes this down....;) This is no longer about Disney but now taking an ugly turn into hatefulness....You are very bitter and sound like you might actually need a visit to the happiest place on earth.:wizard:

I'm glad you got what you wanted....:rolleyes1

I've already requested that it be shut down. I came here asking a simple question and I was needlessly attacked and for that, yeah I am a little bitter. I don't know what you and the others who posted negatively hoped to accomplish but it didn't accomplish anything.

I've already requested that it be shut down. I came here asking a simple question and I was needlessly attacked and for that, yeah I am a little bitter. I don't know what you and the others who posted negatively hoped to accomplish but it didn't accomplish anything.

Negatively?!:eek: I wasn't the one cussing at people and using language...you were...:sad2: I didn't get nasty until you did...you crossed the line...with your hateful statements.

To answer your original question...yes goodings takes ebt cards....your very helpful illiterate gov't employee should have explained how to use your ebt card to you...

Of course what do I know....in your expert opinion I don't know my job and I am very unhelpful.:lmao:

No you didnt use negative language, I did for which I am sorry for, but your attitude was negative as was others.

Not every grocery store in NY accepts food stamps. I have a few in my area that do not. The EBT workers told me to look for a sign out front or ask them to know if they did. Obviously my state and the one you work for do have differences. Have a nice night.

No you didnt use negative language, I did for which I am sorry for, but your attitude was negative as was others.

Not every grocery store in NY accepts food stamps. I have a few in my area that do not. The EBT workers told me to look for a sign out front or ask them to know if they did. Obviously my state and the one you work for do have differences. Have a nice night.

You have a good night as well.:) Take care and honestly...I hope you and your family have a wonderful time in Disney:hug: I hope everything works out for you and yours.

Thank you. I truly am sorry, I am sure you are a very competent and literate :blush: worker. I was just upset at some of the things that were said. Sometimes people (including me) forget that there are people behind these screens. I am really going to sleep now, these things get addicting.

Thank you. I truly am sorry, I am sure you are a very competent and literate :blush: worker. I was just upset at some of the things that were said. Sometimes people (including me) forget that there are people behind these screens. I am really going to sleep now, these things get addicting.

It's ok.....you take care...:goodvibes sleep well...:lovestruc

I have read some posts on this thread where everyone is dispensing some sort of advice to the OP (more often, than not to can the Disney vacation if they are dependent on EBT). Some are cordial, while many are mad (it's probably those bored housewives I keep hearing-about, again...).

I may ruffle some feathers when I say this, but we have no one to blame but ourselves -- doesn't this website...this so-called "Budget Board" encourage everyone to save their pennies so they can spend them at Disney??

Don't believe me?? It's right there in print on the main page...Our motto: 'Any dollar saved or earned is another dollar for Disney!'

As for the OP, they don't get a free pass from me, either -- even though the OP is supposedly "earning their ears", they've obviously been around here long-enough to know "Goodings" is a grocery store near Disney. As far as I'm concerned, OP could've saved everyone some grief and made a quick phone call to the store to get their answer...

Some "real" friendly advice for OP (in lieu of cyber-pixie dust/hugs) -- if you're bent on coming to WDW in spite of your circumstances, there are plenty of Walmarts/SuperTargets nearby. Publix and Winn-Dixie are large, regional grocery chains, too (and all four accept EBT cards because of their sheer size/reach).

Nothing good can come from this but......

Perhaps Seren can call the ACLU or a similar group and file a discrimination lawsuit against Disney forcing them to take her food stamps at the parks.

I am sure a crafty attorney can persuade a judge that Disney is a right. You know in the same manner that "driving is a right". I am also certain that same said crafty attorney can make a Disney gift shop sound no different than a grocery store.

I volunteer in a food pantry once a week, I see the people who get denied for food stamps. Seren if you do not NEED the food stamps, perhaps you should consider doing a shop for your local food pantry for people who do NEED it. People who have to choose between food and medicine. People who have to choose between food and utilities. People that have to choose between food and housing. After volunteering I frequently feel guilty of all the resources I have, you could use some of that guilt.

My final thoughts Seren you said you are going to be a librarian...maybe you should consider a different line of work. A field that can capitalize on your moral flexibility.

Only you can do what is right.

I appreciate your well thought out post. I have never looked at it this way. I don't think that these programs will ever be abolished, but I do wish there was no shame for people who get assistance.
It is a humbling experience getting on a line and waiting just to fill out the forms, let alone having people stare at you as you pay for your groceries and your other items seperately. I had no idea when I walked into that office that I would get a job offer 1 month later, but I can tell you that I was extremely grateful.
However there shouldn't be a shame in the first place, people shouldn't be judging. No one here knows how long I've been on food stamps, how much of it I'm even getting, or how much I have in my bank. And you don't know the situation of the other person either.

I agree with you that there should be no shame for people accepting help when they need it. Heaven knows, I am certainly grateful the assistance was there when I needed it. Yes, it is embarrassing to stand in the grocery line and pay for groceries with that card. For some people it's the lowest point in their lives. But for others, it's an entitlement they have, one where they feel that they get to take a luxury vacation while still receiving government assistance. That's what should be shameful. You're not the first to come to the DIS bragging about this and you certainly won't be the last. But no matter how many times it happens, I will never understand that mentality, ever. Disney would not even be on my radar while I'm standing in line to apply for foodstamps. Ever. I just don't get it.

I agree with you that there should be no shame for people accepting help when they need it. Heaven knows, I am certainly grateful the assistance was there when I needed it. Yes, it is embarrassing to stand in the grocery line and pay for groceries with that card. For some people it's the lowest point in their lives. But for others, it's an entitlement they have, one where they feel that they get to take a luxury vacation while still receiving government assistance. That's what should be shameful. You're not the first to come to the DIS bragging about this and you certainly won't be the last. But no matter how many times it happens, I will never understand that mentality, ever. Disney would not even be on my radar while I'm standing in line to apply for foodstamps. Ever. I just don't get it.

Well said and ITA(although I have never gotten assistance).:thumbsup2. The Dis never seems to fail to shock me. Getting food stamps and going to disney. I had to cancel this year due to medical bills and the high cost of my own grocery budget(even though I have done everything to cut it) and yet someone else gets their groceries for free and the disney trip. America is good if you know how to work the system.

For more than a dozen years I have worked early morning hours with drunks coming at me head on during interstate travels. I have hit deer, missed gas station robberies by seconds, and driven through floods to support my family and take them to Disney for a vacation. Now I know that my tax dollars are supporting another family's visit too.

Why is this thread still even open?

The OP did not ask to be judged. She asked a simple question and all she wanted was a simple answer. If things like that bother people so much they should have left the thread alone entirely. It is cowardly to attack someone on a discussion board. You will never meet this person most likely so you "can get away with it".
Honestly...if any of you were in a grocery store in the Orlando area and you saw someone use an EBT card would you attack them in person and judge them like you have here? Would you let your children see you behave this way?
You never know when you will be in a situation where you need help (if only for a short time) and I hope you are never judged as harshly as people like OP have been. NO ONE has a secure job these days and no one is promised a tomorrow. A year ago I never would have dreamed my DH would be without a job(after 17 years ) but he is now. After his severance runs out he will get unemployment but that will be no where near to what he was making. I have a job and I hope that will get us through.
You all should be ashamed and I hope you never have to be in a situation where you need help.

The OP did not ask to be judged. She asked a simple question and all she wanted was a simple answer. If things like that bother people so much they should have left the thread alone entirely. It is cowardly to attack someone on a discussion board. You will never meet this person most likely so you "can get away with it".
Honestly...if any of you were in a grocery store in the Orlando area and you saw someone use an EBT card would you attack them in person and judge them like you have here? Would you let your children see you behave this way?
You never know when you will be in a situation where you need help (if only for a short time) and I hope you are never judged as harshly as people like OP have been. NO ONE has a secure job these days and no one is promised a tomorrow. A year ago I never would have dreamed my DH would be without a job(after 17 years ) but he is now. After his severance runs out he will get unemployment but that will be no where near to what he was making. I have a job and I hope that will get us through.
You all should be ashamed and I hope you never have to be in a situation where you need help.

I have been in that situation and the last thing on my mind is a trip to Disney.

I have been in that situation and the last thing on my mind is a trip to Disney.

That was not what the OP wanted to know though. She did not ask if she should go. She did not ask if it was moral or not. She asked if goodings took EBT...plain and simple.

OP...I see you have changed your original post. Whether you go when you planned or go later I hope you have a good time and I would look for somewhere other than Goodings to shop.

I really don't want to be mean, but I'm trying to understand your line of thinking. I'm being serious here...not mean.

A lot of us are telling ourselves no. I would absolutely LOVE to go there again. My husband works his butt off. I work my butt off. But we have two kids, a mortgage, and are having to put out a lot of money for fixing stuff around the house recently.

We are trying to be responsible adults...and then we see you saying you're getting assistance and STILL planning a trip to Disney.

Sure you might lose money by cancelling, but you are still going to have to put out additional funds that you, obviously, don't have enough of because you're getting assistance.

This line of thinking is NOT okay. It's not. And I really get offended by others who think that just because someone posts something on here that all of us who really do not agree with it should keep our mouths shut.

If only those who agree with the poster are allowed to post encouraging things...than it's going to look like everyone thinks it's a good idea to go along living your life like this. Somewhere along the line these posters got the idea that it's okay to live your life like this and it's NOT.

Come on people. Be a good example for your kids. Do you really want them to grow up to be pulling this kind of stuff? Don't you want them to be smart, successful, responsible and productive adults?

This thread was NOT the place to voice that opinion. If you do not like the way the system works or how people that do not need assistance somehow end up getting it then do something about it other than bash someone anonymously when all they did was ask a simple question.

I don't know anyone personally on the DIS except two people

Write your senators and congressmen.... start a petition....don't hide on a discussion board. Run for Congress yourself and create a Bill to stop things like this.

I may not agree with what the OP was doing but she did not ask for opinions...she asked if Goodings took EBT cards..THATS ALL!!! Start a new thread about what is wrong with the system.

I used to work at Publix and I used to HATE to have a bride come in and order a $500 wedding cake and pay for it with food stamps and then go get in a BMW of Jaguar. However....I took their order and decorated their cake just as I would anyone else. And I did take action...I wrote the State Senators, and even President Clinton. It did not make a difference but at least I tried.

Well.... in your world apparently "two wrongs make a right" You condem the other posters on this board for "judging" and you do what?? JUDGE?:lmao:

I feel sorry for you, but you post comes across as just as bad as the others you want to fuss at.

And to those of you thinking "this is not right" Welcome to the budget board... Sorry, but the truth is that this is NOT a kind and gentle board. The tone on this thread is pretty typical for this board.

And to the OP.... if you don't want negative views on a public board then the best thing to do is not post. Requesting the thread to be closed???? Why?

Well.... in your world apparently "two wrongs make a right" You condem the other posters on this board for "judging" and you do what?? JUDGE?:lmao:

I feel sorry for you, but you post comes across as just as bad as the others you want to fuss at.

And to those of you thinking "this is not right" Welcome to the budget board... Sorry, but the truth is that this is NOT a kind and gentle board. The tone on this thread is pretty typical for this board.

And to the OP.... if you don't want negative views on a public board then the best thing to do is not post. Requesting the thread to be closed???? Why?

Oh NO dear...DON'T feel sorry for ME!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter