goodings, hess or at the resort??

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by kdm0516, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DOOM1001

DOOM1001 DIS Veteran

I think the only Goodings left is the one outside Downtown Disney, last time I walked in there some of the shelves looked half empty,the place looked old and dirty and very expensive.When I first went to a Gooding's like 18 years ago the place was also expensive but at least looked new and nice,nicer than most supermarkets back them.Right now there's 4-5 Publix supermarkets within 10 miles of the DTD Gooding's that are much nicer with way better prices.You also have more options than back then with Wal Mart Supercenters,SuperTargets,there's a Whole Foods about 10 minutes away on Sand lake rd and Turkey lake rd.I agree with another poster that Gooding's time is very limited.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. RescueRanger

RescueRanger Recovering Fastpass Superuser

The one at the Crossroads by Downtown Disney is the one I was talking about. There was a thread not long ago about it closing.

4. mountdew1

mountdew1 DIS Veteran

Well, my wife constantly packs PB on the plane. It has never been an issue for us. Especially if it is a sealed new container, in your checked baggage I don't see how they can complain.

Many people will order a case of water from something like Staples or Costco and have it get shipped directly to the resort. Some now charge fees to accept the delivery, so you may need to call your resort and explain you are having something shipped, what is their procedure. If you put your arrival date on the label they should have no problem holding it for you.

Some of the prices in the stores at Disney aren't bad, especially bread products. Just like in your local grocery store, they have the price printed right on the packaging, so Disney usually won't mark those up.

5. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice RIP, Max!

I was thinking of using Garden Grocer, but the prices on their website took my breath away. My brother is joining us the day after we arrive, so we'll make due until he can drive us to Wal-Mart or Target. When we were without wheels in 2/08, we did find the Hess Mart to have good prices, but carrying a case of water back--on top of cases of beer--is just too hard.

6. LuvLDM

LuvLDM DIS Veteran

Yeah, I tend to agree.
    We stopped in there last year, in addition to being absurdly overpriced the store was dirty & shelves half empty.

7. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

You can put peanut butter in checked luggage.

To be honest, for what a cab would cost, I would just buy at the resort store. It's overpriced but the amount is not more than a cab if you are just buying a few things.

8. mickey2000

mickey2000 Pin trader

Last time I was there the store was empty with little merchandise. Was told they were bankrupt ??

9. snowy76

snowy76 <font color=blue>I do a panic dance<br><font color

10. beccasmom

beccasmom DIS Veteran

Garden Grocer or WeGoShop are two on-line alternatives. We are using GG for the 4th time this year and are very pleased with their service. :thumbsup2 We usually order snacks, soda, beer, a case of water, and breakfast-type items and staples (eggs, milk, bread, etc.). Prices are okay; MUCH better than on-site @ WDW! :eek: Also, selection is very good.

11. Brian Noble

Brian Noble His Curmudgeonly Highness

We use garden grocer, and we always have a car. The convenience is well worth it---and even more so if you have to walk.

If we need to resupply mid-week, I drive past the Goodings up to the Winn Dixie just a mile or so north of Crossroads. I've only been in the Goodings once. Not only was it hideously overpriced, but it was dingy, poorly lit, with water stains on the ceilings and floors. I don't know if I just caught them after some sort of plumbing disaster or what, but I've never been back since.

12. disneyred

disneyred DIS Veteran

can you give me directions .. where to start off from .. which place in DTD ??
    is it an easy walk with a 9yr old ?

13. dbriggsq

dbriggsq Mouseketeer

For the amount of shopping you are talking about I would suggest the Hess garage at DTD.

Depending on which secton of Saratoga you are staying in you might even be able to walk there. If not just take the DTD bus to the second stop and walk across the road. I take an empty wheeled suitcase so it's easy to take back to the hotel. Prices are much cheaper than Goodings and probably Garden Grocer when you factor in the delivery charge.

14. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Somebody posted instructions, on (I think) the first page of this thread. If not there, then near the top of the second page.

15. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice RIP, Max!

Go to the West Side bus stop in Downtown Disney. Stand in front of one of the benches, looking straight ahead toward the road. You'll see the Hess Mart from there. Walk from there through the parking lot, veering to your left, as there will be a crosswalk on that side when you get to the road. Cross the road and there you are.

16. Aljo

Aljo Mouseketeer

What time does Hess close? Is it still open around 10pm or so?

17. Dan Murphy

Dan Murphy We are family.

18. sharadoc

sharadoc Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving

I prefer wegoshop because they will shop at the store of your choice and you will pay the regular store prices. Garden Grocer is convenient because they have items right there on their site so you can choose what you want, but they have a huge markup.

I compared the two and found I saved significantly with wegoshop. We buy food for the week including cereal, milk, bagels, fruit, granola bars, eggs, sandwich stuff plus dinner meat, potatoes, veggies, lettuce, etc. I like the fact that we can get fresh fruits for the room and snacks and only pay a delivery charge, rather than a big markup on each item.

They will also take orders for beer.

Just my preference, but wanted to put in a good word for them.

19. Hopefully

Hopefully DIS Veteran

I too prefer wegoshop.com. I have used them 7 times and highly recommend them. Their delivery fee is higher, but as PP mentioned you pay the exact grocery store of your choice price. Each item is not marked up like at Garden Grocer. They will give you the original store receipt.
    We order cases of water, juice, coffee, soda, beer, wine, breakfast foods, fruit, cheese and crackers and other snacks.
    I highly recommend them.

20. Sandi

Sandi <font color=red>A proud Spartans fan!

GardenGrocer also sells beer and wine.