Good Place to put Savings?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by robind, May 15, 2010.

1. robind

robind DIS Veteran

I usually lurk on this area, but I thought you guys might have a good answer to my question.

I'm looking for somewhere to put my savings, about $30K that would be liquid (no more than a 6 month commitment). My house is going on the market and as soon as it's sold I'll be using the savings to buy a piece of property to build a new house, so it can't be something that has alot of penalties for withdrawls.

Right now it's at my credit union w/ .25% intrest.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sunlover13

sunlover13 <font color=darkorchid>No Chef boyardee here!

What about an ING?

Ours is getting a little over 1% right now. Although, when we opened it up, it was closer to 4%. It only takes a few days business days to transfer $ from ING to checking and vice versa.

There is no commitment or penalty for withdrawal that I'm aware of.

You might be able to find a 6 month CD at a bank with a higher rate, but you are committed and stuck to not touching the $ for those 6 months.

4. robind

robind DIS Veteran

Thanks, I'll check them out.

5. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

Money market or 6 mo CD, most aren't paying a lot right now. If you could get 1% you're lucky.

6. angwill

angwill I just want to live at WDW!

I would got with a 6 month CD you can get it out before but will pay penelties but if you leave it in the full 6 months it will make you the most interest.

7. angwill

angwill I just want to live at WDW!

I would got with a 6 month CD you can get it out before but will pay penelties but if you leave it in the full 6 months it will make you the most interest.

8. AllesonWonderland

AllesonWonderland DIS Veteran

dollarsavingsdirect.com is at 1.2% and Emigrantdirect.com is at 1%. I have accounts at both. Like a PP, I remember when the interest was much higher...but something's better than nothing!

9. buckler

buckler DIS Veteran

10. Gr8t Fan

Gr8t Fan DIS Veteran

Southern Bank pays 5.01% on their checking accounts (up to $25,000) with a few conditons: at least one electronic payment a month and 12 debit card purchases a month. Their website is www.bankwithsouthern.com .

11. JCMHutch

JCMHutch Mouseketeer

www.discoverbank.com (part of discover card) is offering 1.34% right now. you can't make withdrawls for the first 30 days but after that you can do whatever you want.

12. crazy4dis

crazy4dis Earning My Ears

Blackhawk Bank (www.blackhawkbank.com) is 3% for checking account up to $25,000. Requirements are 10 debits per month and e-statement.

13. robind

robind DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone, lots of good places to check out.