Going off-property to please the fam?

Ducky4Disney

-->Place Tag HERE!
Ugh, I need help with this. Our trip this Oct is a busy one. Lots of people coming and going and I'm trying not to be the cruise director, planning out everything to keep everyone happy, and driving myself insane in the meantime.

DH, DS (32 months at time of travel), and me 7 months PG at time of travel - first 3 nights to ourselves, whew. Then MIL comes to stay for 3 nights. She departs and my Dad and S-Mom come in to stay for 2 nights. DH's Aunt lives in the area and she may be there for a night as well.

I keep telling myself this is OUR family vacation and we're going to do what makes US happy, the guests can join us if they want to and we have ADR's together.

My Dad and S-Mom live 30 minutes from Orlando and want to take us off-property to Old Town in Kissimmee, FL on our last night. I'm torn about this. Part of me wants to go to make them happy and let them "show us around" and part of me thinks "this is the last night of our vacation that we paid for, and I'm not interested in some ourdoor mall with classic cars". I'm not sure how to tell that tactfully :confused3

We enjoy WDW, we travel to FL to see WDW, we paid to see WDW, and we want to stay on property. Maybe if this were a longer vacation and we could do it earlier in the trip, and/or if there weren't so many people coming and going, we'd do it. I know they mean well and just want to show us somehting they enjoy doing.

Anyone ever been to Old Town? Is it worth seeing on our last night in WDW? I've considered fitting it in earlier in our trip but I feel like we have so little time to ourselves as it is I'm not sure I want to give it up.

It doesn't help that my new S-Mom (my third S-Mom, mind you) is not my favorite person to be around anyway. She also just broke her ankle in over 10 places, has had 2 surgeries, and will be in a WC (and more of a PITA than usual).

WWYD?

D4D

I wouldn't want to leave WDW on my last night either. Do you already have an ADR planned for that night? Is there some way you can make an ADR that includes them and invite them to have dinner with you instead? Whatever you do, I would plan something quick! But make it something you can invite them to do with you. That way you can end your vacation on your terms but (hopefully) without alienating them.

Yes we do have ADR's with them that night. We are DVC memebers, so all the visitors are staying at our resort on our dime! They are staying in a studio for 2 nights - travel to parks, ADR's, all of it.

D4D

We love staying off-site, but that being said, there is no way I would go to Old Town. We use to go 20 years ago and it wasn't bad, but I don't think its safe anymore and there is no way I would go with a small child.

I would break out the kid excuse: It's too late at night, with travel time to and from Kissimmee and them showing you around, to go somewhere. You need to be somewhere where you can get your child back in bed and asleep easily. Truthfully, I have little ones too and I would not want to put them through looking at cars after a long day at the parks when they could be doing something a little more low key. Also, you'll be very pregnant. They have to do what you want.:goodvibes Tell them very nicely that you think it would be nice to do something like that, but this time, it's just not possible. And then offer to plan, with their input, a special evening onsite.

We love staying off-site, but that being said, there is no way I would go to Old Town. We use to go 20 years ago and it wasn't bad, but I don't think its safe anymore and there is no way I would go with a small child.

Now that's interesting... I haven't heard that angle yet. Is it really unsafe there these days? Sounds like you can purchase alcohol and wander around with it - I know you can do that in Epcot and in the French Quarter NOLA too, but there's a *slight* difference between the two (one I'll take my kid to, one I won't!)

Any other opinions of Old Town in general?

D4D

here is a link to reviews on trip advisor. I noticed a trend, people that use to visit it years ago, (the first time we went was 1988) have noticed the decline while people who never saw it in the heyday, give it much better reviews.

I just know we stopped going several years ago because we didn't feel safe there like we use to.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...13099959-Old_Town-Kissimmee_Florida.html#TOPC

Maybe we have just become spoiled by WDW, Sea World and Universal, but I think its pretty shady and wouldn't feel comfortable taking a small child.

Well that is awful sweet that all of these people are getting a free trip to WDW. Do they all live in FL, and that is why they are coming?

For us, I would not go off property on my last night. I want to enjoy my last night taking it all in. That is just me.

If it was my family, I would say: "That sounds like it might be fun sometime when DS is old enough to be interested in the (cars or whatever), but right now I think he would get fussy and whiny and it wouldn't be a fun night for anyone"

I don't know about your family, but in mine a bored DS=stress for everyone. I haven't found the knack for compromising with a 2.5 year old I guess.

As an Orlando local, I wouldn't necessarily consider Old Town unsafe (there's usually way too many people around for one thing) but it's just...icky. It's a cheap, low grade "amusement park" with fair type rides off of 192 -a road some have called "the ugliest in America" (I find it sort of funny that Celebration, a gorgeous community, is also located off 192). Satruday nights they used to, and still might, do a car show out there, which makes it even more crowded. I wouldn't spend any part of my vacation there, if it was me.

As an Orlando local, I wouldn't necessarily consider Old Town unsafe (there's usually way too many people around for one thing) but it's just...icky. It's a cheap, low grade "amusement park" with fair type rides off of 192 -a road some have called "the ugliest in America" (I find it sort of funny that Celebration, a gorgeous community, is also located off 192). Satruday nights they used to, and still might, do a car show out there, which makes it even more crowded. I wouldn't spend any part of my vacation there, if it was me.

Gotta agree with this one. Think county fair type of amusements. So not worth the bother.

Old Towne is not what it used to be. Years ago I used to really enjoy going there to pass a few hours. They had some unique shops, etc. Now.....it's definitely not something we go to. Not worth the time or the drive over there. Defintely not a fun way to spend your last evening at The World.

years ago we used to go there our first night. the kids liked the rides and the games. they all loved winning basketballs and stuffed animals.
i think we mostly went because my husband loves that ride where they bring you up and drop you,l cant remember what its called. he's a thrill seeker and disney doesnt have anything that satisfies that.
but we havent been in a couple years. we did notice the last time that it was gitting really dirty. but no, i wouldnt call it unsafe.

You have all been very helpful - thank you! And you seem to echo my feelings exactly. Without having been there, it seems like a mall with carnival rides and a classic car show - I don't see the appeal here, especially on our last night!

No, not everyone lives in FL. Just my Dad and S-Mom and DH's Aunt. My MIL is flying out - but the shelter is on us (people don't seem to understand how much that would cost out of pocket).

It has to be thanks, but no thanks on this idea.

D4D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter