Going Back this August (saving tips needed)

TheBear5150

Earning My Ears
My wife, kids, and I will be going back for our third stay in six years this August and were wondering about what kinds of savings could be realized for a nice Canadian boy fromLondon Ont. Any and all help is appreciated.

The Bear

The 'Budget' board seems to have some good tips, but I think it depends where you want to economize. If you have many people going for instance, you may want to rent a house in Kissimee (sp?)

Some people brings snacks, their own bottled water (etc.), but I try to save on the big-ticket items and enjoy the rest of my trip.

So far I've been able to economize by:

Using airmiles for my flights (Air Canada is having a discount on Aeroplan tickets right now).

Booking the Hard Rock Hotel at an Entertainment Rate of $135 (pool-view) instead of $229 to $269 a night or more. A note here: My entertainment book did not list half the hotels that the website did. You can always book an entertainment rate (when available) and then worry about getting a card. If you don't want to buy a book (still available on-line) you might be able to borrow a card from a friend. After all, you only need it at check-in.

Buying Universal Orlando passes online on the official Universal Orlando site, 5 consecutive days for the price of 2.

I wish I had a CAA card though, the shops & restaurants at Universal, Islands of Adventure and City Walk give you a 10% discount when you show your card.

Let me know if you come across any good deals!

Cheers,
Michelle

Hi:

Have you checked www.mousesavers.com for discount codes for the hotels.

I think the last week of august is value season so it is a bit cheaper then, usually there are codes for that time also. If you are staying onsite book where you want to stay and keep watching for a code on the dis or mousesavers. I know AAA has discounted rooms, you can call down ask for the AAA rate.

We drive down from Hamilton, we take lots of snacks, even snacks for the parks because of that darn exchange rate.

Have fun,

Deb.

Did you check out the Universal boards - there is a post there for the FAN club. In it there is a post from I think its TINERBARB or something like that - if you e-mail her she will send you a FAN CLUB card and you can use that for 10% off gift shops and restaurants.

That you all for your suggestions. We just booked a Wilderness home for that last week in August, and yes it is a value season price. I went to www.mousesavers.com and all I can say is WOW (for WDW savings ;'). I also read about "meal vouchers"?. Are these a good deal and how are they used?

Thanks
The Bear

Oh Boy, I wish I was going back. Glad you got a deal.

Keep watching mousesavers as it gets closer to your dates and see if any better code or deal comes about. You can call wdw and ask to apply the new code to your reservation.

The other thing is we always buy our passes ourselves, whatever we use we use, whatever is left it is good for a lifetime. If we want a resort only day, we do not have to waste a pass.

If you buy the package deal including passes and resort stay, and you just want a shopping/resort day you are still paying for all of you to be in those parks whether you use them or not. That is why we always do our resort stay separate from our wdw passes.

Bye,

Deb.

One of the best ways to save on your trip is to go to the dis store and buy a pass whenever you have the money set aside for one. It saves you in the long run as you then don't have to pay for them all at once when you get there. Also send money for the room every month if you can again then you do not have the large payment when you get there and it feels like you are paying less that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter