Go with the Flow....A Summer Trip to Remember! July 2012~ **Completed**

I agree that Studios is a difficult park... the layout, the timing... between the rides and the shows... sometimes is tough to coordinate...I'm a fan of the old Hollywood vibe though...

I just finally got up my nerve up to ride ToT last year in Disneyland... I'm not a super big fan of the drops but the overall experience is so cool... That it's worth it...

Sorry about RnRC... that's on my never have down must do on my upcoming trip... I've finally decided it's time to do it... it's the last Dis Thrill ride that I have to do...:cool1:

Is TSM still that crazy...? Last time we were there in 2009...it was new... and I was in fear for people's lives... I'd never seen a stampede like that in any Disney park...:confused3 It was actually frightening... I don't totally get it.... It's a fun ride and all but I'm not sure its worth that craziness...

Nice pictures with Goofy and Pluto...:goodvibes

I am a little behind so I hope I remember everything!

Thanks so much for the POP pictures!! Seeing others' pictures makes me excited for our trip in a few weeks. I am slightly nervous that Keith will not like it but I am hoping once he gets there he will appreciate the differences from the mods. I am just glad he hasn't stayed at a Deluxe yet because he would be very picky!! Last night he mentioned sleeping in on some mornings and I told him if I wasn't there I was just walking around somewhere. I love the early morning touring of resorts! I was glad to hear POP is quiet in the mornings too...one thing I love about PO is how quiet and peaceful the mornings are!

I always plan mini-golf but it never works out for us. I do have it planned this time but I am so torn between which one to do!!

That bread pudding looks so good and just like Ohana's!! Good job!! :thumbsup2 I have decided that since my kids aren't going on our trip in a few weeks and are being okay with it, I am hoping to get a F&WF cookbook and the plan is when we return I will make Disney meals for them. So I am holding off for the bread pudding until we return--now that we have Ohana ADRs!!!

While planning our trip, this was one of the days that I was looking most forward to, which actually surprised me since I have always had a love/hate thing for Hollywood Studios. Okay…not actually hate because I enjoy the park but I would have to say out of the four parks, it's always been my least favorite. The layout has always seemed a little confusing to me. It’s the one park that no matter how many times we’ve been I still need a map to navigate my way around. However, I have come to realize that over the years, I have grown to really like this park. A lot. There are so many great attractions! Toy Story Mania, Beauty and The Beast, Tower of Terror and Fantasmic just to name a few. We were hoping to experience a lot of new attractions this trip as well and I was so excited!

I really felt like you had jumped into my head and quoted me here! DHS has always been my least favorite park but Keith somehow really enjoys this one. But this trip we attacked it differently and I really began to appreciate it! I think having two days: 1) early for TSMM dash and stand-by and 2) a go with the flow day really works the best for us and made me appreciate this park so much more!!

I love ToT!!! I wasn't sure if you knew so I though I would share that!! :rotfl2:

Well, from everybody else's posts, it looks like you aren't alone in your love/hate relationship with Hollywood Studios. It can be a bit hard to navigate the park because of it's layout. Too bad you guys didn't get to ride RnRC but at least you got a ride in on the Tower of Terror.

I agree with your love/hate thing for DHS. I've always felt the same way.

Stink that RNRC was not open! But glad ToT was fantastic! Love that ride...we've never done it at night, but it sounds like we should try it!

I love when the older kids still love to meet the characters and embrace their inner child! Makes me :goodvibes!

Yeah...we were disappointed that RNRC was not open especially since we had finally decided to give it a try.:(

Oohh...you should definitely give ToT a try at night! It's so cool to look over the park all lit up!:thumbsup2

I was so glad that Nick decided to meet Pluto and Goofy.:)

I have a new found appreciation for DHS. We just breezed through it in Feb and 20 years ago it wasn't much. But this last trip with just my teenage cousin and no kids to worry about, it was much more appealing. Still haven't been on TSM (and don't really care to) and haven't seen Fantasmic yet. But we got to ride ToT, RnR, and StarTours for the first time. Yep, definitely growing on me ::yes:: Love all your pictures of it....I don't think I have a single pic from that day other than my Photopass.

That's exactly how I feel! The park is definitely growing on me!:goodvibes There are so many great attractions!:thumbsup2

Bib bummer about RnRC, hope it opened back up for you. Love the character pics, I don't think I've seen Goofy in that DHS outfit before, adorable!!!

I'm glad that we met up with Goofy and Pluto! It was a really nice surprise and almost made up for not getting to ride RNRC....almost.;)

I agree that Studios is a difficult park... the layout, the timing... between the rides and the shows... sometimes is tough to coordinate...I'm a fan of the old Hollywood vibe though...

I just finally got up my nerve up to ride ToT last year in Disneyland... I'm not a super big fan of the drops but the overall experience is so cool... That it's worth it...

Sorry about RnRC... that's on my never have down must do on my upcoming trip... I've finally decided it's time to do it... it's the last Dis Thrill ride that I have to do...:cool1:

Is TSM still that crazy...? Last time we were there in 2009...it was new... and I was in fear for people's lives... I'd never seen a stampede like that in any Disney park...:confused3 It was actually frightening... I don't totally get it.... It's a fun ride and all but I'm not sure its worth that craziness...

Nice pictures with Goofy and Pluto...:goodvibes

You're right! It can be hard at DHS to not only navigate the park but try and fit everything in. I think that's why when we first started going it was so frustrating. But, with each new trip and the ability to see more of the park we have really started enjoying it.:thumbsup2

Yay for riding RNRC for the first time on your upcoming trip!:cool1:

TSM is still that crazy! Which I really don't understand.:confused3 I like the ride but I'm not so fond of having to run to it when we get to the park. :rolleyes:

I am a little behind so I hope I remember everything!

Thanks so much for the POP pictures!! Seeing others' pictures makes me excited for our trip in a few weeks. I am slightly nervous that Keith will not like it but I am hoping once he gets there he will appreciate the differences from the mods. I am just glad he hasn't stayed at a Deluxe yet because he would be very picky!! Last night he mentioned sleeping in on some mornings and I told him if I wasn't there I was just walking around somewhere. I love the early morning touring of resorts! I was glad to hear POP is quiet in the mornings too...one thing I love about PO is how quiet and peaceful the mornings are!

I always plan mini-golf but it never works out for us. I do have it planned this time but I am so torn between which one to do!!

That bread pudding looks so good and just like Ohana's!! Good job!! :thumbsup2 I have decided that since my kids aren't going on our trip in a few weeks and are being okay with it, I am hoping to get a F&WF cookbook and the plan is when we return I will make Disney meals for them. So I am holding off for the bread pudding until we return--now that we have Ohana ADRs!!!

I really felt like you had jumped into my head and quoted me here! DHS has always been my least favorite park but Keith somehow really enjoys this one. But this trip we attacked it differently and I really began to appreciate it! I think having two days: 1) early for TSMM dash and stand-by and 2) a go with the flow day really works the best for us and made me appreciate this park so much more!!

I love ToT!!! I wasn't sure if you knew so I though I would share that!! :rotfl2:

Your trip is getting so close! You must be so excited! I think you'll like Pop. Yes, there is a lot of bright colors but it's such a fun resort. There's always something going on. But, honestly the mornings and late evenings are my favorite time when it's quieter and actually peaceful.:) One of the best things on our last trip was being able to go visit AoA whenever we wanted. We loved that!!

Okay..enough about Pop.;) Yay for mini-golf. :cool1: We really enjoyed the summer course. But, I've heard that the winter course is fun too.:thumbsup2

Great idea on making a Disney meal when you get back from your trip!

I think we'll have to try and schedule two days at DHS next trip. There is always so much we miss. I like your TSM dash day and another go with the flow day! It sounds perfect to me.:goodvibes

Well, from everybody else's posts, it looks like you aren't alone in your love/hate relationship with Hollywood Studios. It can be a bit hard to navigate the park because of it's layout. Too bad you guys didn't get to ride RnRC but at least you got a ride in on the Tower of Terror.

We were definitely disappointed that we didn't get to ride RNRC but I'm glad that we got to ride ToT and with hardly any wait! Love that ride!:thumbsup2

"Woody's Roundup....Come on, it's time to play!" Toy Story

When I left off, we had just arrived at Hollywood Studios and grabbed fastpasses for Toy Story Mania, rode Tower of Terror, were disappointed to see Rock n’ Roller Coaster down but were able to spend some time with a couple of our favorite friends, Goofy and Pluto.

However, we still had a little bit of time before we could head over to use our fastpasses so we decided to slow down and take some pictures in front of the Sorcerer Hat. It was a beautiful morning and there really wasn’t that many people around. It was the perfect opportunity for a photo op.
261-1-1.jpg

263-1.jpg

264-1.jpg

265-1.jpg

A CM nearby offered to take a picture of all of us. I thought that was so nice of him!
266.jpg

We wandered back up the street and got a photopass picture
016-2-1.jpg

Sorry it’s so blurry…I’m not so good at taking a picture of a picture or in this case a calendar.

After getting our picture, we decided to wander back down Sunset Blvd. to see what was going on with RNRC.

Yes….we were determined to ride. At least I was. I could tell that each time we checked Noah was starting to change his mind so I was hoping that three times was the charm.

We finally made it over there to find that it was still closed. Boo:(
268.jpg

I decided to wander further in and get a picture since it was the first time we even made it over here.
269.jpg

At this point it was inching close to 9:00am, so we decided to head over to someplace completely new to us!
On the way-
270.jpg

The Great Movie Ride!
272.jpg

It wasn’t quite open yet so we had to wait outside for the doors to open. While we were waiting, we admired the handprints-
273.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

We spotted Stitch coming out-
274-1.jpg

Then it was finally time to make our way inside.
277.jpg

I tucked my camera away since it was the first time we had ever experienced this attraction and I wanted to just sit back relax and enjoy the ride.

And enjoy the ride we did!

I didn’t tell the boys or DH anything about this ride before we got on it and it was so cute to see the boy’s faces when our vehicle was taken over by the gangster. They definitely weren’t expecting it! The funniest part was when we entered the alien scene. DH was closest to the alien side and jokingly asked me later why I didn’t at least warn him. Oops….sorry. lol Anyway, it was a great ride. We all really liked it and were glad we finally gave it a try.

After enjoying the Great Movie Ride, we realized that our fastpasses were finally ready for use so we made our way over.

A short time later, we were seeing some of our favorite sights at Hollywood Studios!
279.jpg

280.jpg

281.jpg

282.jpg

We handed over our fastpasses and made our way inside-
283.jpg

284.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

287.jpg

Continued in next post—

Continued from previous post--

As we were standing and waiting, we quickly decided who was going to ride with whom. Nick and I are very competitive and knew that we wanted to battle it out. Noah was happy to ride with DH. They are both easy going and really were there just to have fun.::yes::

Glasses on and we’re off!:3dglasses

288.jpg

289.jpg

Honestly, it was so close all the way through the ride. Nick took the lead and then I caught up. Then he took the lead again but at the end I pulled off the win. Nick was definitely disappointed and had to point out that at least his accuracy was better. Okay…I’ll give him that. ;)

When we got outside, Nick requested a rematch but when we saw the stand-by line and checked out the fastpass time which was already late into the afternoon we decided to skip it.

Besides, it was getting close to ten and we had plans or at least Noah and I did to do something he had requested while I was planning the trip.

We made our way over while DH and Nick decided to take off on their own to look around.
290.jpg

291.jpg

As we were walking by the American Idol Experience, Noah pointed out David Cook up on the big screen. Aww….he knows how much I liked him in his season.
292.jpg

293.jpg

I was hoping to make our way over to Star Tours later on, so I guess I must have snapped a picture as a reminder.:scratchin

We made our way over near Muppets.
294.jpg

295.jpg

We’re getting closer…..
296.jpg

297.jpg

We spotted them up ahead. Noah was so excited! He grabbed my hand and away we went to meet two of his favorite characters. Any guess who?

Next up—A meet and greet and wandering around the Studios.

cute hat pictures! But a big bummer that RRnC was still down. I love that you didn't tell them anything about the GMR, that makes it far more fun.

Jeff always thinks he hasn't been on it, till we go on it, and I never correct him ahead of time. :rotfl2:

Your update just made me realize....my "new" diagnosis of tennis elbow and the fact that I can't get a cortisone shot till after my return doesn't bode well for my performance on TSM!

What a great update!! We really enjoy The Great Movie Ride. I know a lot of people don't like it too much but we always find it fun!

The family pictures in front of the hat were great!!

Oooh, the bread pudding looks yummy, good for you for making it :thumbsup2

Spending the evening relaxing at Pop sounds great, definitely going to work in a slow evening like that next time.

Too bad RNR was down but :cheer2: for TOT! I have yet to ride the GMR, I may be able to work it into the plans for the Princess Half weekend. TSM is always fun :goodvibes

I'm pretty sure I know who you are headed to meet ;)

I am still following along Angie! Love all the pics in front of the hat! They all turned out wonderful!! The Ohana Desert looks fantastic!!! Fun to be able to recreate it at home!!!! Looking forward to the next meet & greet:):)
-Beth

Ok, so.....I've never done TSM :blush: Yep, I'm one of those people. But I just never really liked HS and never saw the point to being there at rope drop and then later in the day it was too busy. Is it really THAT much different than Buzz at MK? I know it's 3D and all, but if your little one didn't like Toy Story (mine hates the movie) is it worth trying to get there for rope drop someday?

cute hat pictures! But a big bummer that RRnC was still down. I love that you didn't tell them anything about the GMR, that makes it far more fun.

Jeff always thinks he hasn't been on it, till we go on it, and I never correct him ahead of time. :rotfl2:

Your update just made me realize....my "new" diagnosis of tennis elbow and the fact that I can't get a cortisone shot till after my return doesn't bode well for my performance on TSM!

Thanks!:goodvibes

We really enjoyed the GMR!! I had read mixed reviews but I'm glad we gave it a try!

Your trip is so close!! You must be so excited!:yay: Sorry about your tennis elbow though.:sad2:

What a great update!! We really enjoy The Great Movie Ride. I know a lot of people don't like it too much but we always find it fun!

The family pictures in front of the hat were great!!

Thank you!:goodvibes I was surprised that the GMR gets such mixed reviews. We really liked it! Then again, I love all dark rides at Disney.:thumbsup2

Oooh, the bread pudding looks yummy, good for you for making it :thumbsup2

Spending the evening relaxing at Pop sounds great, definitely going to work in a slow evening like that next time.

Too bad RNR was down but :cheer2: for TOT! I have yet to ride the GMR, I may be able to work it into the plans for the Princess Half weekend. TSM is always fun :goodvibes

I'm pretty sure I know who you are headed to meet ;)

The bread pudding was so good!! I need to make it again really soon!:thumbsup2

We really enjoyed our relaxing night at Pop. It was just what we needed!:goodvibes

I'm surprised that it took us 5 trips before we tried the GMR. It was always one of those attractions that seemed to get overlooked. I'm glad we tried it! The boys loved it! You should definitely try to work it into your plans next trip.:thumbsup2

Hmm...I have feeling you do know who we were heading to meet! (since I know you visited them as well on your Christmas trip.;))

I am still following along Angie! Love all the pics in front of the hat! They all turned out wonderful!! The Ohana Desert looks fantastic!!! Fun to be able to recreate it at home!!!! Looking forward to the next meet & greet:):)
-Beth

Hi Beth!:goodvibes

Thanks! I'm really happy with how the pictures in front of the hat turned out! I wish we would have stopped more often on our trip to get pictures as a family.:) It was so much fun making the bread pudding from Ohana. The boys loved it!! Actually, we all did! It was so yummy!

Oh..and I can't remember if I commented on your ticker before or if you just added it. But, YAY for going to Disneyland!! So exciting!!!:yay:

Ok, so.....I've never done TSM :blush: Yep, I'm one of those people. But I just never really liked HS and never saw the point to being there at rope drop and then later in the day it was too busy. Is it really THAT much different than Buzz at MK? I know it's 3D and all, but if your little one didn't like Toy Story (mine hates the movie) is it worth trying to get there for rope drop someday?

We love TSM. But, we also really like all the Toy Story movies. However, if your little guy doesn't enjoy the movie than I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle. As much as we like the ride, I don't understand why it's still so crazy.:confused3 Really..the only difference is the fact that it's 3D but there are some fun elements like being sprayed by water when you pop the balloons.

can't wait to see who it was??? Muppets?

Not the Muppets. But, that would have been fun!!:thumbsup2

Update coming up soon.:goodvibes

I'm really glad that you got to ride TSM... the queuing for that ride is really cute...:goodvibes and it is fun but the craziness surrounding it... I'm thinking people could start scalping their fast passes outside...:scratchin... and make some lunch money...:lmao:

Really nice family photos in front of the Wizard Hat at the Studios... :goodvibes

I'm really glad that you got to ride TSM... the queuing for that ride is really cute...:goodvibes and it is fun but the craziness surrounding it... I'm thinking people could start scalping their fast passes outside...:scratchin... and make some lunch money...:lmao:

Really nice family photos in front of the Wizard Hat at the Studios...
:goodvibes

Thanks!!:goodvibes The boys were actually in the mood to get their pictures taken that morning. It doesn't happen very often.:rotfl:

I know....they probably could!:rotfl: I still don't understand the craziness that surrounds that ride after all this time.:confused3

"There's 104 days of summer vacation, and school comes along just to end it..." Phineas and Ferb

When I left off, we had just rode Toy Story Mania and I won! (I couldn’t resist!:cool1:) Anyway, as much as a second ride would have been fun, the wait time was already quite long and the fastpass time was late in the afternoon when we had planned to take an afternoon break so unfortunately that didn’t work out either. Nick was disappointed but he understood. At this point it was inching close to 10:00am and Noah was reminding me that there were a couple of his favorite characters he was waiting to meet. Sadly, Nick wasn’t interested so he decided to take off with DH to explore.

As you know, we headed over near Star Tours, made our way by Muppets 3D, around the corner near Mama Melrose and we finally reached our destination!

So, who was Noah so excited to meet?

Phineas and Ferb…of course!

We got into a relatively short line and waited for our turn. When it was just about our turn, they took a little break so we waited some more and finally we were up!!

Noah handed over his autograph book to Ferb.
298-1.jpg

Then wandered over to give Phineas a hug-
299-1.jpg

300-1.jpg

No hugs for Ferb. Well, Phineas is his favorite!

Then it was time to pose!
301-1.jpg

“Hey Mom…Do you wanna be in the picture too?”

Strike a pose!
302-1.jpg

Hmm…..let’s try that again! This time I’ll actually look at the camera!
303-1.jpg

After a couple more hugs, we said our goodbyes. We spotted DH and Nick walking toward Muppet 3D, so we ran to catch up to them.
They told us they had looked through a couple gift shops on Sunset Blvd. trying to find a hat for Nick and then decided to check out the RNRC situation again. Aww….they didn’t have to do that. Anyway, it was still closed at a little after ten and they had stopped giving out fastpasses for the ride. It was at this point that I realized that maybe RNRC wasn’t going to happen after all on this trip. I was sad but what could I do…if it wasn’t open, I guess it wasn’t meant to be this trip. It gives us something to look forward to next time! We never did end up going back to check again so I would be interested to know what time it did open back up that day….hmmm….

After our disappointment, we couldn’t think of a better way to lift our spirit than to check out Muppet 3D and well…it was right there so even though it wasn't some high thrill ride and we couldn't rock out. It would have to do.;)
On our way inside—
304-1.jpg

We really enjoyed the show. I’m so glad that the boys have gotten over their fear of 3D shows/movies. It definitely makes these attractions much more enjoyable now.

After Muppets, we decided to explore the Streets of America-
305-1.jpg

306-1.jpg

As we were walking around, the boys started complaining of the heat again. So, I led them to someplace that was sure to cool them off and that I have wanted to see on every trip but have always missed.
307-1.jpg

Well…we found it. Hmm…..but how to make it work?
309-1.jpg

Hmm…it wasn’t just a pull down on the handle. Noah and DH were inspecting it while Nick tried it out.
Oh…wait a minute. Nick figures it out!
310-1.jpg

Yay! That seemed to lift their spirits!

We continued to walk—
312-1.jpg

I told Noah to jump in the air and I would try to get his picture. He looked at me funny but gave it a try—

Oops…I missed it.
313-1.jpg

“Mom!”
“Sorry, let’s try it again.”
314-1.jpg

At this point we both decided to give up! Oh well…..

315-1.jpg

We had an 11:30am ADR for Sci-Fi Dine In so we decided to make our way over.
317-1.jpg

It was our first time eating here and we were very excited! We were a few minutes early so before we went in we decided to wait and try to get a picture of the boys in the car out front. There was another family already in the car. So, we stood waiting patiently for them to finish. Well…we waited and waited. There was a lot of people in the family and just when we thought they were done they would take another picture. They got group shots and individual shots and paired shots. At his point, DH was getting annoyed and the boys were complaining they were hungry so rather than wait we decided to head in and check in early. I think we waited maybe 10 minutes and our name was called.

Honestly, the minute we walked inside we were all in awe. It was such a fun atmosphere. We loved it. We settled into our car with Nick and I in the front and DH and Noah in the back. I snapped a few pictures without flash to keep the ambiance of the place. However, they came out a little blurry in doing so.
318.jpg

319.jpg

320.jpg

321.jpg

I wish I could remember our servers name because he was wonderful….very friendly and attentive. We were very pleased especially since I had read mixed reviews about the service here.

Sadly, I didn’t get any food pics because we were starving but I do remember what we ate—
Nick and I both got milkshakes, his was vanilla, mine was chocolate, DH got iced tea and Noah got a chocolate milk, I believe. We all decided with the exception of Noah to order the-- Angus Chuck Burger – (flame broiled beef patty topped with cheddar cheese, sauteed mushrooms, and crispy bacon, lettuce and vine-ripened tomatoes, served with french fries for $14.99) Noah got tomato soup, macaroni and cheese, and an ice cream sundae from the kid’s menu. Oh…and DH got apple crumble for dessert. We all really enjoyed our meal. We were very pleased with everything and so happy we decided to give it a try.

I have wanted to try this place since our first trip but often shied away because of all the mixed reviews I had read. So, here’s my advice to you. Everyone’s experience is different and if it look good to you and you think your family will enjoy it, there’s a good chance they will. Don’t over think things…like I do.:upsidedow You may miss out on a great experience!!

After paying for our meal, we wandered outside to now see a line of people waiting to take their picture in the car in front of the restaurant so we decided to skip it and find something else to do. We didn’t have any place specific in mind. Again, we decided to go with the flow for the rest of the afternoon.
Hmm….where did we head next?

Up Next—Decisions....Decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter