Go Fund Me for College Fund?

To be blunt, you don't get to tell me what my opinion is on GFM.

I didn't tell you what your opinion should be; I said a Go Fund Me page could be anything a person wanted to be and no one is forced to look at it or donate to it.

Ever seen the jars set up asking for change to fund a school trip? Bought a candy bar from a band kid? Or expensive wrapping paper? Or some silly gadget from a catalog some school group sends around? Same thing.
Yep! And I never let my child sell them or buy!
If my child wants to participate in some activity - I'm responsible.

Jar sitting out, kids standing at the intersection with buckets- yes that is the same thing, and I think its just as tacky. Selling a product, and getting a percentage of the profits is not the same thing. Of course you know the difference, and you know GFM is nothing more than begging but I don't expect you to actually admit that here after you've defended it and claimed it isn't.

What I know is that it can be a type of fund raising. Yes there are stupid requests on there but there are legitimate ones too. Medical bill requests used to be done with the jars.
And we all NEED more candy bars and wrapping paper, right? No one ever buys thos stuff to help the organization.

Yep! And I never let my child sell them or buy!
If my child wants to participate in some activity - I'm responsible.

Thats great for you. Through fund raising dd's choir has been able to take kids on out of state trips who would never have been able to go otherwise and who had never been out of their little community. And sing in some wonderful venues. Was it a need? No. But it was a great opportunity for them. And I won't be selfish enough to say their parents should pay for it.

We don't use GFM but if used correctly and honestly it is not much different than other fund raising.

What I know is that it can be a type of fund raising. Yes there are stupid requests on there but there are legitimate ones too. Medical bill requests used to be done with the jars.
And we all NEED more candy bars and wrapping paper, right? No one ever buys thos stuff to help the organization.

Yes, but in the post of mine that you quoted I specifically said "band trip", I wasn't talking about donations to charity or asking for help for unforseen medical emergencies. I was talking about people begging for money for something they want to do, like going to Florida with your High School Band.

And so what if we don't need more candy bars, I have more respect for the student out there selling stuff to raise money than I do any student standing in an intersection begging for change.
My dd has a trip coming up for school, there is a huge box of candy bars sitting in my kitchen that she is selling. Guess what if she doesn't sell them to the kids in school (which is unlikely) I'll buy them. Then I'll cover whatever expenses are left. I'll be darned if I'd let her, or anyone else for her set up a fund to ask people to pay her way. If she can't pay, or I can't pay well then she doesn't get to go, that is life. We aren't all entitled to what we want just because we want it. We are entitled to it when we can provide it for ourselves.

I had a neighborhood boy come around last week selling discount booklets to raise money for his baseball team. I don't frequent any of the establishments that were included in the book, so I wrote a check to the organization instead, which will get the entire donation instead of just a fraction.

Yes, but in the post of mine that you quoted I specifically said "band trip", I wasn't talking about donations to charity or asking for help for unforseen medical emergencies. I was talking about people begging for money for something they want to do, like going to Florida with your High School Band.

And so what if we don't need more candy bars, I have more respect for the student out there selling stuff to raise money than I do any student standing in an intersection begging for change.
My dd has a trip coming up for school, there is a huge box of candy bars sitting in my kitchen that she is selling. Guess what if she doesn't sell them to the kids in school (which is unlikely) I'll buy them. Then I'll cover whatever expenses are left. I'll be darned if I'd let her, or anyone else for her set up a fund to ask people to pay her way. If she can't pay, or I can't pay well then she doesn't get to go, that is life. We aren't all entitled to what we want just because we want it. We are entitled to it when we can provide it for ourselves.

And a lot of people would rather just give money. Like I said there are some stupid requests and some legitmate ones.

And a lot of people would rather just give money. Like I said there are some stupid requests and some legitmate ones.

Yes there are legitimate request, but I'm talking about the stupid ones where people are asking other people to pay for something they want. You feel they are fundraising, I feel they are begging.

Yes there are legitimate request, but I'm talking about the stupid ones where people are asking other people to pay for something they want. You feel they are fundraising, I feel they are begging.

There are people that do the same things our kids do to raise funds for questionable organizations and reasons. They sell candy or have bake sales or just ask for money in front of Walmart. And for some, I just walk on by. I just don't see this as much different.

At least a lady asking for money for plastic surgery is being honest unlike the made up "organization" asking for me to buy some cupcakes. I won't donate to her but if someone else does, its no skin off my nose.

well it would be nice if I got to go to Hawaii but I'm not going to ask other people to pay for my trip.
Weeelllll, if they want to, why not.....:yay:

I had a neighborhood boy come around last week selling discount booklets to raise money for his baseball team. I don't frequent any of the establishments that were included in the book, so I wrote a check to the organization instead, which will get the entire donation instead of just a fraction.
I always give cash/check in a lot of those situations. I got tired of the school asking the kids to sell crap (and it truly was crap) to augment their budgets. As if my taxes weren't high enough!!! I much prefer to write a check, and have all 100% of the amount go to that charity, vs buying something and having only 25% of the amount go to the charity!!

DH and I want to take the new 4 Seasons Jet trip. http://www.fourseasons.com/aroundtheworld/ It is only $132,000 per person. I deserve it and I think all you minions need to pay for my need. This is not a want, it is a need. I will be able to talk about it at social parties.

Go Fund Me account to share soon.

I heard you can take the round-the-world trip starting at $119K. If you had asked for that amount I'd give a generous amount. But you had to get greedy, didn't you?? Oh well, what the hell, yeah, you definitely need the upgraded trip. :thumbsup2

Whatever happened to not wanting others to know when you didn't have money for something? When I was young (late seventies and early eighties) you never wanted to admit your parents couldn't afford for you to take a school trip or buy you the latest toy. Now it seems people are competing to be the most needy.

I find GFM accounts for college and trips to be tacky. No, I don't have to look at them but I can have an opinion of them. I have 2 DDs in college and I would be all over them if they set up this type of account. I feel the same when students stand at the town dump on weekends to collect money for sports or trips. I find it especially amusing because their parents stand next to their big SUVs drinking the coffee they just bought and wearing designer clothes. If a student is actually working for the money, collecting the Christmas trees or a car wash, I will use the service. But I won't drop a dollar or two just because someone decides to stand at the side of the road with their hand out.

There is a level of satisfaction and pride when you save towards a goal and meet the goal. This seems to be forgotten in our immediate gratification society.

I think I'd rather see people sell something than set up a GFM page and wait for the money to roll in. Seriously I'm a little afraid for this upcoming generation and their work ethic.

I think I'd rather see people sell something than set up a GFM page and wait for the money to roll in. Seriously I'm a little afraid for this upcoming generation and their work ethic.

To some extent I agree with you but on the other hand, every generation says this about the next.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter