Gluten Free: Teppan Edo or Ohana?

spacemountain

DIS Veteran
We're trying to decide between either doing Teppan Edo or Ohana dinner for one of the meals on our upcoming trip. I'm the only one in our party with celiac, so the decision has been left up to me. Neither of these restaurants seem like top choices for gluten free meals so I'm having a difficult time deciding, but they were both requested by another family member.

I've done Ohana's before going GF, and I've never eaten at Teppan Edo (although we have similar restaurants nearby at home so I'm familiar with the experience). At Ohana it seems that they bring you your meat separately, and it looks very plain from pictures, but you do get dipping sauces. Then at Teppan Edo is seems that they cook your meat first before anyone else's food, and I think you get rice with it, but no noodles. For those who have eaten GF at one or both, how was your meal and would you recommend it?

Can't say I've eaten at either while gf, but we did eat at Tokyo Dining while gf. They could do very little for me. Basically my filet was plain and so were all my veggies. They brought me some Tamari but that was it. I would say ohana sounds way better for gf people. Good luck!

The food at teppan edo is MUCH much better. Id go with that.

When making your reservations make sure you note your gluten allergy. They can accommodate any allergy at practically any restaurant.

spacemountain said:
We're trying to decide between either doing Teppan Edo or Ohana dinner for one of the meals on our upcoming trip. I'm the only one in our party with celiac, so the decision has been left up to me. Neither of these restaurants seem like top choices for gluten free meals so I'm having a difficult time deciding, but they were both requested by another family member.

I've done Ohana's before going GF, and I've never eaten at Teppan Edo (although we have similar restaurants nearby at home so I'm familiar with the experience). At Ohana it seems that they bring you your meat separately, and it looks very plain from pictures, but you do get dipping sauces. Then at Teppan Edo is seems that they cook your meat first before anyone else's food, and I think you get rice with it, but no noodles. For those who have eaten GF at one or both, how was your meal and would you recommend it?

Ohana is incredible - you will not go wrong eating there

We ate at O'Hana in September and I was apprehensive at first as well. They have some of the most delicious gf bread!!

goofyintoronto said:
The food at teppan edo is MUCH much better. Id go with that.

When making your reservations make sure you note your gluten allergy. They can accommodate any allergy at practically any restaurant.

Oh they can accommodate, but will it be plain dry meat and veg with plain gf soy sauce? If that's what it is for the gf person, it's not super exciting or yummy. We've done ohana (pre GF, in 2007) and totally agree it's not fine dining food at all, but after going gf I would do just about anything for some varied dipping sauces!! It's crazy what you end up missing!

Also OP you can ask this on the DISabilities! Board. They are very knowledgeable over there on dietary issues/recommendations.

I thought the food was much better at 'Ohana and they were much more accommodating with our dietary restrictions.

Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking Ohana seems like the better option since it's owned by Disney, so they'll probably be better about accommodating. I only wish Chef TJ was still there, but we will be dining at 1900 Park Fare this trip as well!

I've never eaten at Teppan Edo but I've eaten at 'Ohana a few times and wouldn't hestitate to go back. We're a heck of a lot more than just gluten free (we have 3 people with laundry lists of allergies, gluten being just one of them).

Even with all of our allergies, we still always seem to get at a minimum the following:
  • the same salad as everybody else
  • wings that have been marinated the same as everybody else's but without being tossed in the sauce
  • steamed veggies
  • skewers of shrimp, pork, beef and poultry (can't remember if it's chicken or turkey) that were custom prepared
  • steamed white rice

They'll also bring out rolls if you want but we typically don't (one of my kids can't eat even the allergy ones and neither could eat the old brand that WDW used to serve).

You'll also get some kind of dessert. Because of our long list of allergies we typically get soy ice cream often with fruit but I know that others are brought other far more interesting options.

You will be served sauces though I can't tell you anything about them as they're not safe for my family due to other allergies.

We've always been served very fresh and delicious food. The meats are nicely seasoned and the shrimp is the sticky shrimp like everybody else gets (though served with the allergy food to ensure no cross contamination).

As I said, I wouldn't hesitate to eat here again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter