Gluten free at he FW Fest?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by dwtraveler, Sep 5, 2012.

1. dwtraveler

dwtraveler Livin' my Golden 'Ears

Last year, someone published a list of the gluten free options at the Food and Wine Festival kiosks. Of course, I didn't find it until the Fest was over. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a similar list for gluten free food options at the FW Fest for this year??? I will not use last years for the simple reason that recipes change and there is no guarantee that something made last year will be made in the same manner this year. It would be so much easier to have this in hand then to have to stand in line and ask, just to be told, no, we have nothing for you here. I would still ask to make sure, but knowing ahead of time that there isn't any options would cut down on wasted time. If anyone knows where to find a list for this year, could you please let me know, please???:worship:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. scarlet_ibis

scarlet_ibis "GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Please from me, too.

4. DisneyOHFan

DisneyOHFan Livin' for Disney

A list would be fabulous. I'm surprised Disney doesn't provide one or at least put an indicator next to the menu items.

5. Poohsmommi

Poohsmommi Mouseketeer

me too!

6. LoKay

LoKay Earning My Ears

We will be there the last week of the festival so hopefully those that go before us will post what is available as GF. I'm going with the mindset of not being able to eat anything so that I'll be happy when I find something I can eat! :cool1:

7. laurabelle

laurabelle DIS Veteran

8. laurabelle

laurabelle DIS Veteran

9. laurabelle

laurabelle DIS Veteran

10. laurabelle

laurabelle DIS Veteran

I will add one more thing... I noticed one of the blogs mentioned an offering of tomatoes and blue cheese as GF in the USA booth.
    I have been told even if you can eat dairy, do NOT eat Blue cheese if you cannot eat gluten.

11. jennykay

jennykay Mouseketeer

My understanding is that bleu cheese used to always be made with mold cultures grown on bread, but now it is usually grown without the bread, and is therefore gluten free. You may still find artisan cheese made the original way, but mass produced bleu cheeses are more likely made gf. As always, make the choice that is best for you. I am nit celiac but have a gluten intolerance, and I have been able to eat it without any of the discomfort I associate with eating gluten. YMMV.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a 2012 f&w list yet? :hippie:

12. dawnball

dawnball <font color=red>bouncie bouncie...<br><font color=

Disney Food Blog did a gluten free F&W festival list last year. They said that they expected to have one again this year, but that because of the way the F&W festival comes together, they can't get the information until the festival starts.

They're at the festival now, so hopefully we'll have gluten free food lists soon. And as always, talk to the folks at the booth about any cross-contamination concerns, because those booths are small and busy!

13. momhmmx2

momhmmx2 Life is a gift...Have Fun!

14. scarlet_ibis

THANK YOU!!!!

It's hard to read and impossible to read when printed... but I think I can make out some of it. After reading just the menu, I had little hope.

(Thanks for nothing, Belgium!)

15. dawnball

dawnball <font color=red>bouncie bouncie...<br><font color=

My best transcription of that (By all means, please correct me!)
    Argentina - Beef Skewer, no chimichurri
    Caribbean - Jerk Chicken
    Canada - Beef Tenderloin
    Australia - Shrimp on the Barbie; Lamb w/ pesto
    S. Africa - Beef w/ Sweet potato, no BBQ sauce
    Germany - Bratwurst Sausage, no bun
    Cheese - Cheese plate, no bread
    Scandinavia - Taste of Scandinavia, no cracker; rice pudding
    Florida - Ceviche, White Corn Arepa
    Hops & Barley - Lobster claw, no herb mayo
    Singapore - Beef Rendang
    New Zealand - Seared Scallop
    Ireland - Cheese plate, no bread;Chocolate Lava Cake
    Greece - Chicken Souvlaki, no pita; Greek Salad, no pita; Griddle Greek Cheese; Greek yogurt

Not a bad selection overall.

16. valree

valree Mouseketeer

What in the world could they be putting in chimichurri that would make it not GF? I've eaten it at the F&W festival in years past with no problem. I wonder if I got lucky? I also noticed that France's creme brulee isn't on the menu. That surprises me because that's usually Disney's standard dessert at TS restaurants. No Canada chipotle sausage and polenta either?? Very odd. I love jerk chicken! Can't wait to see how Disney does it!

17. momhmmx2

momhmmx2 Life is a gift...Have Fun!

Last year one of the chefs told me that not all the booths were "owned" by Disney so he was unable to provide me with information. I had to ask at those booths myself. I suspect that is why the Creme brûlée is not listed. I asked last year and it was GF.

18. scarlet_ibis

Reporting from the festival. Guest Relations says that the published list and map are from an outside company and cannot be guaranteed even though it was posted on a Disney website. You still need to ask at each kiosk.

They do not even have guides for their own table and counter service restaurants. You have to ask at each one. It's very frustrating and very much harder than Disneyland. :(

I can report that the "Shrimp in the Barbie" from Australia was 5 small salad shrimp in sauce. Tasted good but not worth the $5 they charge for it. The cheese plate at the cheese stand was good and they had plates made up without the bread if you ask. (There does not appear to be a way to indicate food allergies when ordering at the computer stations.)

19. valree

valree Mouseketeer

Thanks for the feedback. How in the world could they say that you can't trust the info that's posted on their own website?

20. scarlet_ibis

Yes, that is very curious. I have heard various things from "That's the 'Disney Food Blog' and not Disney" (which isn't true because the link is disney.go.com) to "It was done by an outside company and we can't guarantee it" (then why publish it?) to "Several kiosks' worth of food is prepared in a common kitchen, so we can't guarantee there is no cross-contamination."

Today, I had a worker at the cheese stand try to merely take the cracker/bread off of the top of the cheese plate before giving it to me... :eek:

Had much better experiences at Sunshine Seasons and Beaches and Cream.

21. petbren

petbren DIS Veteran

Could you tell me what you had at Beaches and Cream. Since there are no reservations there, did you just infom them you needed GF meal while you waited for table.
    Staying at BWV one night before cruise, and hoping to have early dinner there.