GKTW Meet: Delaware DIS Meet, Nov. 1-3, 2013 - OCT. 18 last day for Registration!!!

OK. Y'all talked me into it. Signed up for Saturday. Looking forward to seeing a little bit of Dis in my home state!

Just wanted to make sure. I signed up for Saturday and paid the $31, but my ticket says "Nov 1 at 7:00 pm Big Event - Adult. $31, Location: Virtual Event"

Is this just a glitch in the ordering system?

Thanks

Just wanted to make sure. I signed up for Saturday and paid the $31, but my ticket says "Nov 1 at 7:00 pm Big Event - Adult. $31, Location: Virtual Event"

Is this just a glitch in the ordering system?

Thanks

Glitch in the ordering system.

Looking forward to meeting you. :cool1:

OK so we are so happy it was extended today is payday so count 2 more for ironhill and we will be attending Saturdays event. We will not be staying at hotel being we are only 30 min. From home but ironhill isn't till 7 any ideas to kill time we have never been to Newark thanks.

OK so we are so happy it was extended today is payday so count 2 more for ironhill and we will be attending Saturdays event. We will not be staying at hotel being we are only 30 min. From home but ironhill isn't till 7 any ideas to kill time we have never been to Newark thanks.

I'll add you to the Iron Hill list. Could you just PM me with both of your first names? Thanks so much! :thumbsup2

I'll add you to the Iron Hill list. Could you just PM me with both of your first names? Thanks so much! :thumbsup2

What is the Iron Hill list? I didn't see anything on the itinerary. Of course, I eat there about every other week anyway....

What is the Iron Hill list? I didn't see anything on the itinerary. Of course, I eat there about every other week anyway....

I'm just keeping a list of who's going to Iron Hill on Saturday night for dinner and drinks. There's nothing official about it -- just keeping track of how many people are going. It's a pay-as-you-go event. If you'd like me to add you to the list, just let me know :thumbsup2

At this time, there are 29 people on the list. Please keep in mind, everyone, that this doesn't mean we're going to be seated together. That would be a nightmare for any server, in the first place, and secondly, all the checks will be separate.

I did send an inquiry to Iron Hill today, mostly just to warn them that we're coming ;) I also asked, nicely, if we could all be in the same area of the restaurant. I've never been there so I have no idea if that's possible, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. When I hear back from them, I will let you all know.

IF YOU ARE ON THE LIST, please let James (cayz) know if you will require transportation (taxi to Iron Hill from Embassy Suites and back). We don't want anyone to be :drinking1 and :drive: so please take advantage of the low taxi prices and don't get behind the wheel if you'll be imbibing :goodvibes

James, myself and my friend Dominique will definitely be in the needing a taxi group :dance3:

IF YOU ARE ON THE LIST, please let James (cayz) know if you will require transportation (taxi to Iron Hill from Embassy Suites and back). We don't want anyone to be :drinking1 and :drive: so please take advantage of the low taxi prices and don't get behind the wheel if you'll be imbibing :goodvibes

James, myself and my friend Dominique will definitely be in the needing a taxi group :dance3:

Being a 34 year resident of Newark, drinking and driving is a definite no-no. Aside from the safety aspect, this is a college town and there are frequently DUI roadblocks in this part of town.

Also for anyone driving, please pay attention to the 25 mph posted speed limits in and around Newark. Speeding tickets are a major source of revenue in my little town. :mad:

Unlike the government, this seems to be working - we now have 69 people attending the Saturday event!

Some have wondered…What is there to do in Newark? How will I ever pass the time? There are many things to do in and around Newark from beautiful walking trails, a nearby orchard for apple picking, tax free shopping and beer….lots and lots of beer. I live about 2 miles from Newark and probably spend more time than I should enjoying its rich food and beverage offerings. All of these establishments have websites and facebook pages that include full food and beverage menus. Here are a few of my favorites.

Newark Delaware, also known as craft beer paradise, is home to many food and brew options. If you’re a beer lover, you won’t be disappointed.

On Main Street…
Iron Hill Brewery – The beer here is fresh and made on site. In fact, Iron Hill brews are the only beer they sell. The selection here rotates, but there are typically 8-12 beers on tap and one cask conditioned ale. Some of the seasonal beers expected to be on tap during the Delaware DIS meet are Abbey Dubbel, American IPA, Pumpkin Ale and Blackburn Stout.
The food at Iron Hill is as good as the beer. The menu is fairly expansive and includes price points from sharable appetizers and sandwiches at around $10 to full dinners from $15- $28. Wine and full bar are also available.

Walk a few steps West on Main St. and you’ll reach the 16 Mile Tap House. More luscious, fresh beer! The 16 Mile Brewery is actually located in Georgetown, De but their full selection of beer is served here at the Tap House. Some of the stand outs in the 16 Mile repertoire include: Responders Ale ( a blonde ale ), Old Court Ale ( an American ale ) and Tiller Brown Ale (an English brown ale) all for $5 per pint. In addition to the local 16 Mile brews the Tap House has a huge menu of other craft beers and ciders served in bottles and cans. When I say huge, I mean more than 80 craft brews and the usual domestic suspects like Miller Lite. They also have a large wine selection. The food menu here is smaller than Iron Hill and a bit pricier, but still include some winners like the P B L T sandwich – pork belly, lettuce and fried green tomato mmmm.

Also on Main St., you will find the historic Deer Park Tavern – a favorite on U of De students past and present. The Deer Park has a large menu of affordable food, an extensive beer menu with domestic, imported and craft beer and even live music.
All of these locations are within walking distance of each other and Klondike Kate’s ( the location of Sunday's event ).

Close, but not on Main St….
Another favorite for beer and delicious, creative food is the Two Stones Pub. This pub is just about 1.1 miles from the Newark Senior Center and 1.4 miles from the Embassy Suites hotel. There are always 24 different craft brews on tap and well over 100 available in cans or bottles. Draft beers are available in 8, 12 and 16 ounce pours so you can sample a few if you can’t decide. If you love craft beer, consider Two Stones for dinner before Friday’s meet and greet or for brunch before Sunday’s swap meet.
Since life is not all about craft beer and good food, I’ll list some other things to do on tomorrow’s installment of “What is there to do in Newark?”

On Main Street…
Iron Hill Brewery – The beer here is fresh and made on site. In fact, Iron Hill brews are the only beer they sell. The selection here rotates, but there are typically 8-12 beers on tap and one cask conditioned ale. Some of the seasonal beers expected to be on tap during the Delaware DIS meet are Abbey Dubbel, American IPA, Pumpkin Ale and Blackburn Stout.
The food at Iron Hill is as good as the beer. The menu is fairly expansive and includes price points from sharable appetizers and sandwiches at around $10 to full dinners from $15- $28. Wine and full bar are also available.

Iron Hill is our "go to" restaurant in Newark. Had an amazing dinner there last night for our 29th wedding anniversary. Had Braised Chipotle Short Ribs paired with the delicious Pumpkin Ale. Good stuff.

What else is there to do in Newark? Here are some other things to do between DIS events.

Bowling – Brunswick Blue Hen Lanes is located in the Newark, Shopping Center located on Main St.

Movies – Cinema Center is a small (3 screens ) movie theater also located in the Newark Shopping Center. It’s not the AMC 24 at downtown Disney, but it does show current films at relatively low prices. It’s a quaint and friendly theater.

Milburn’s Apple Orchard – located about 6 miles away in nearby Elkton, MD. Milburn’s is a working orchard with a market, petting zoo and counter service food. They have delicious apple cider donuts! Although there will not be “pick your own” apples after October, the market will offer plenty of fresh apple varieties – already picked. They stock lots of other produce and homemade baked goods. The apple butter is made onsite and is also very tasty.

Ice Skating – There is a skating center – The Pond- located very close to Main St. and only about 3 miles from the Embassy Suites. They have public skating on Saturday 1-3 PM and 6:30 – 8 Pm and Sunday 1-3 PM. Also, the University of Delaware Ice Arena is open for public skating on Saturday 1-3PM and 8-10 PM and Sunday 1-3 PM. The University Ice Arena is conveniently located right across the street from Embassy Suites and you can safely walk there from your hotel. Skate rental is available at both locations. Speaking of ice…..

Ice Cream! We have several choices for ice cream, but the best one is located within walking distance of Embassy Suites. It’s the UD Creamery and it’s located right next to the UD Ice Arena. The ice cream is all homemade in small batches. It’s made from milk provided by the University of Delaware Dairy Cows. Real cows…..right there….on the farm….by the creamery. Doesn’t get any fresher than that! They have lots of eclectic and yummy choices. Not sure which one to pick? Ask for some samples. It’s an important decision and you want to be sure.:thumbsup2

Next..... tax free shopping!:cool1:

Iron Hill is our "go to" restaurant in Newark. Had an amazing dinner there last night for our 29th wedding anniversary. Had Braised Chipotle Short Ribs paired with the delicious Pumpkin Ale. Good stuff.

Happy Anniversary! We love it there too. Hopefully, they have space for our group in the back dining room on Saturday night 11/2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter