Give them peanuts before age 1 - Doctor's say

The thread title is not safe.
Give them peanuts before age 1 - Doctor's say

NEVER give a baby or toddler an actual peanut.

The article actually says: "Baby-suitable foods used in the study included smooth peanut butter, peanut soup and finely ground peanuts mixed into yogurt and other foods."

To my way of thinking, it makes sense. It's what we did. A taste of this and that, we tried to aim for a balanced and somewhat varied diet, even when they were babies and toddlers.

Obviously, everyone should check with their provider, etc.

Last edited:

22 years ago this wasn't even something we thought about. I have no idea when my kids had their first peanut butter. It never occured to me to not give my kids certain foods....except honey, which I knew wasn't good for an infant.

However, I do know someone that had a son older than my kids and she did wait to give her son anything peanut until after he was one and at the time, just a tiny bite. He broke out in hives and turned out to have a big allergy to them.

It was earlier this week I was reading something along this same topic. How years ago mothers weren't told to not eat this and that during pregnancy and kids were not showing up with an allergy to this and that. Mothers had babies eating very soft solid foods at 2 months with no allergy reactions as the kids got older. With early introduction, kids were better eaters, less unlikely to try different fruits and veggies. I wish I could remember where it was that I was reading it.

It's really no different than immunization. Give them a small dose so the body's natural defenses kick in.

22 years ago this wasn't even something we thought about. I have no idea when my kids had their first peanut butter. It never occured to me to not give my kids certain foods....except honey, which I knew wasn't good for an infant.

However, I do know someone that had a son older than my kids and she did wait to give her son anything peanut until after he was one and at the time, just a tiny bite. He broke out in hives and turned out to have a big allergy to them.
We did the same. We stayed away from honey, too with babies. As I recall, that and whole nuts were pretty much the only things to avoid.

It was earlier this week I was reading something along this same topic. How years ago mothers weren't told to not eat this and that during pregnancy and kids were not showing up with an allergy to this and that. Mothers had babies eating very soft solid foods at 2 months with no allergy reactions as the kids got older. With early introduction, kids were better eaters, less unlikely to try different fruits and veggies. I wish I could remember where it was that I was reading it.

I guess it depends on your definition of years ago. :laughing: It's more recent than when I had our kids.

When I had my first 33 years ago (sounds funny!) balanced, good nutrition was recommended. Extremes were not in vogue. Both of ours were born in Europe, and Europeans had the same approach. One thing I do remember, Europeans were big on carrot juice. I gave it to ours, they liked it. They were introduced to a varied diet early, and we continued that approach as they grew. I'm happy with how it worked out.

It's interesting to watch these types of things change as I parent over what is essentially different generations. With my teens- it was no PB before a year. Then we starting seeing allergies galore, and when my 7 y.o. was a baby, it was no PB before 2 years. With my 9 month old- we were just told at his appointment- he should be eating everything we are eating to include PB, honey, and other previous no-nos.

We did, and she broke out in welts an hour later. The next day she tested positive for peanut allergy.

Yup.

I don't really know what the answer is, frankly, but my little girl was allergic to peanuts from the get go. I don't know how else we could have changed things.

And, honestly, they're going to keep changing the requirements and suggestions as science advances and we figure stuff out. I really do hope we find out what has caused the surge in peanut allergies so less people can be allergic and go through what my daughter has had to.

<but now, thanks to desensitization, life is awesome. Have questions about peanut desensitization? I'm your girl!>

My pediatrician said the only "no" food anymore is honey before 1, due to spores that can cause botulism. Otherwise, without family history of allergies to go ahead and introduce any and all foods when the child begins solids. My 6 year old had Peanut butter at 7 months much to my MIL's horror and lived to tell the tale ;)

I guess it depends on your definition of years ago. :laughing: It's more recent than when I had our kids.

When I had my first 33 years ago (sounds funny!) balanced, good nutrition was recommended. Extremes were not in vogue. Both of ours were born in Europe, and Europeans had the same approach. One thing I do remember, Europeans were big on carrot juice. I gave it to ours, they liked it. They were introduced to a varied diet early, and we continued that approach as they grew. I'm happy with how it worked out.

Several of the moms interviewed who didn't restrict what they eat while pregnant or gave to babies raised kids in the late 60's, the 70's and 80's. It was starting in the 90's that moms stated that they didn't eat this or that and waited much longer to introduce the "solid" foods or completly omited foods from babies diets.

My children who have allergies have always shown me what they were allergic to as infants well before you'd feed them solids anyway. At some point around 3-4 months they develop hives after nursing and I have to figure out what food in my diet is causing them to react. Obviously, we don't feed them that food directly if they reacted to minute amounts in my breast milk. Some of them have outgrown their food allergies as they grew older, though.

b03d3b7db44e32ae321d07aaf294d841.jpg

I was a late 60's kid and this is what mom used very early on to feed the solids to me, then my brothers. I used the same thing with both of mine in the 90's and put them on the introduction of solids the same way my mom did it. By 2 months they were getting a bottle of milked down oatmeal at bedtime. A fuller stomach lead to a longer sleep pattern for them.

And for traveling, these are a god send for feeding on the go.

It is the laws of unintended consequences IMHO. When I was raising my kid, it was the height of the 'Back to Sleep' campaign. I can remember getting mommy drive by comments because I posted a picture on her website of her sleeping at two weeks on her tummy. Fast forward to a few months later and thousands of kids were wearing helmets because of Plagio!

I remember the words of her first Ped to this day. "Stay off the internet and follow your gut. 99.9% of the time, you will be right!"

When I was raising my kid, it was the height of the 'Back to Sleep' campaign. I can remember getting mommy drive by comments because I posted a picture on her website of her sleeping at two weeks on her tummy.

I also put my first to sleep on his stomach though everyone said not too. He slept better. He'd move his hands or legs and wake himself if he was on his back. (My second child, on the other hand, was and is a back sleeper). They've both hit their 20s now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter