1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Give the Magic some love

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by underdesea, Nov 3, 2010.

1. underdesea

underdesea Crazee Cat Ladee

We just returned from the 8/23 Magic cruise -- our sixth cruise on the Magic, ninth DCL overall. Our first sailing with the Magic was in November 1998, and we consider her "our ship." After reading so many negatives about her, I wanted to give her some love. We LOVE that ship. We did not experience anything near the negatives that others are posting. I realize we are in the minority, but we are not jumping to book the Dream or Fantasy. The Magic holds a special place in our hearts. We rebooked for one last voyage before she leaves the Caribbean, not knowing if we will be in a position to travel on her again, depending on her new itineraries. It will be a very bittersweet cruise for us.

Just wanted to put a counterpoint out there to the other views. Not saying those experiences aren't valid -- just that there are others out there. We felt our latest cruise on the Magic was worth every penny (or point) we spent, and we are fondly awaiting our next opportunity to sail her.

The staff and crew we encountered were dedicated, went above and beyond to make sure we felt taken care of and appreciated, and really added so much to the experience.

So this is my small ode to the Magic, for what it is worth. I will most gladly, happily and joyously step aboard her one more time in 2011.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. taswira

taswira "Let It Go" - but carefully guard your secrets!

You are not alone in your sentiments! :thumbsup2

4. mamapenguin

mamapenguin Mouseketeer

awwww! I love the Magic too, my first cruise was on the Magic in January of 1999. My last cruise was in Nov. of 2000 on the Wonder......it's been a while, and I am very excited to be sailing on the Magic later this month. I know it will be wonderful, I just love all things Disney :)

5. DisWitt

DisWitt Fan of Disney 1.0 - aka Disneyland

We were on your cruise on 10/23! YAY! We love the Magic, too, and have sailed her 3 times. Truly awesome. The staff are wonderful and I love to hear "this is Brent, your Cruise Director..." every day. The Magic will always be Magic-al.

6. MagicMe

MagicMe DIS Veteran

I loved my 14 days on the Magic!!!! I did not encounter any issues and thought she looked as beautiful as ever. I will miss her next year (doing a Wonder Alaskan cruise and a 4-day on the Dream) and will definitely miss Brent! I even mentioned that to him on my last cruise since he's been the cruise director on all my cruises and I'll have to endure a new cruise director(s) next year.

7. wdwishes1990

wdwishes1990 DIS Veteran

We had a fabulous time on the Magic in the Med!!! She is beautiful!

8. BuzzLightyearInTampa

BuzzLightyearInTampa DIS Veteran

We love the Magic too! We have cruised twice with DCL, the 7-night Eastern in 2001 and the 7-night Western last year, both on the Magic. I love the design, decor, and the size. If had to sum up the Magic with one word, it would be "class." And we are anxiously awaiting the rest of the Magic's 2012 itinerary to be released. Hoping for a longer Christmas cruise like they're doing this year.

9. KikiMouse

KikiMouse Mouseketeer

I love the Magic; we sailed on her our first cruise in 2006. Before sailing on her, I couldn't imagine liking a cruise because I didn't want to be trapped on a ship with 2400 people; but my brother and his family were going so my husband and I decided to go with them. (they knew we loved Disney). The Magic changed my mind about cruising. I loved her!
    We have sailed on her 4 times and I feel like I am at home every time! We had great time for the 2009 Magic Christmas cruise and she was in wonderful shape. This year we are going to be on the Wonder for New Years and when I booked it I wished it was the Magic! I love the Wonder too, but I will miss my Magic this year!
    KikiMouse

10. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

We also love the Magic. we were there last in Feb of this year and found everything to be wonderful and in great shape. Since then I have been on the Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas for a women's conference. I was prepeared to not compare the lines and just enjoy myself. But I have to say, that by comparison, the Magic shines even brighter! I could not believe the repairs that were half done - for the entire cruise - all over the ship. Buffets were dirty, bathrooms a mess, crew was unfriendly and surly. And iwas not alone in my assessment. So thiugh everyone's experiences are unique, I hope those that have been unhappy give 'our' ship another chance. She is one of the best out there!:cheer2:

11. RedSox68

RedSox68 DIS Veteran

Funny, we cruised on her in October 2009. We had absolutely no problems with the interior or dirt or smells. Our problems were with the room steward and waitstaff this time. After 8 cruises, they were the WORST. Not only annoying, but our waitstaff was so busy attending to a huge family gathering at another table that we became invisible. Several nights we had to ask for our dessert to go!

And our room steward -- don't even get me started. He rarely knocked but would just open the door. And if you didn't want him in there, he would try to look past you to inspect the room. We almost got into fistacuffs on our last night of packing because he wanted to inspect our closet :confused3 and actually tried to push past me. VERY odd. My husband had to finally tell him to LEAVE, that he was being intrusive and out of line!

12. dursin

dursin DIS Veteran

So, what kind of gratuity did you leave? I think in this instance, they would have gotten a big ZERO from me. Or better yet, like $1 each so they would know that I just didn't forget.

13. amyren

amyren DIS Veteran

Whew. Good to hear. We are sailing on the Magic for the first time in June on a 10 night Med :banana:. We are really excited and even managed to talk my parents into joining us. I was getting a little worried with all of the negative reviews. It really wouldn't bother me or DH so much but I want my parents to fall in love with DCL so that they will join us again in the future! I think the whole tag-along baby sitting service will be excellent :laughing:

14. orlandothebeagle

orlandothebeagle Gotta love the beagles.

How very bizzare.

We loved our trans atlantic,I thought she looked good considering she was going into dry dock.There were niggleslike warm drinks from soda fountain... but just put ice in it. and things like that, dining rooms were warm, but hey ho, great company.
    she wasnt perfect but who is:cool2:

15. underdesea

underdesea Crazee Cat Ladee

Glad there are those who also appreciate the Magic. Thanks to those who are sharing their positive views here! I wanted just one thread to show her a little love.

16. amjgale

amjgale Earning My Ears

I agree! I thought the ship was so great! I was so busy chasing around a 1 year old, but I didn't notice any problems! I'm ready to go back on it right now!

17. pixie08

pixie08 DIS Veteran

We loved our Magic cruise this Aug (Med) we thought the ship was tip top. We had none of the other issues stated onthese boards. Not saying they aren't true but in our 10 days on board the only thing we encountered was a gross adult pool. This simply was because the ship was sold out and it was packed to the brim lol!

18. Tinkerbell.RN

Tinkerbell.RN DIS Veteran

Magic will always be special to me. Our first cruise was July 2007 on the Magic (in the mediteranean) It was... well.. Magical! We had a 2nd short cruise on the Wonder. Then last October went back to the Magic for my daughters' birthday cruise! We booked "our" stateroom. We had the cruise director from our Wonder cruise and found our first server at lunch one day.

That cruise was fabulous as well for the DISboard group we sailed with. So...we have MANY great memories of the Magic... and hope to sail her again. We'll be trying out the Dream for the watercoaster, but my heart belongs to the Magic!

19. stevenpensacola

stevenpensacola <font color=red>Sometimes I sits and thinks, and s

I sometimes wonder if these message boards can be more harmful than helpful...causes people to worry about things they normally would never have worried about.

I've noticed the cruise board seems to run in cycles...several "panics" I remember from the past...

-not able to dock at CC due to rumored bad engine
    -worried to death about possibly missing CC
    -

I'd take a bad day on The Magic over a good day at work!:cloud9:

20. Denine

Denine I want to go on a cruise! I want to move to sunny

We have sailed the Magic 10 times and the Wonder once. We have no desire to sail a mega-ship like the Dream. We love our Magic!!!

We did have some service related issues this past cruise (10-16), but we didn't have any bathroom issues or other issues along those lines.

We are sailing the Wonder next year and trying to figure out how to get in another cruise on the Magic.

21. castawaycayfans

castawaycayfans DIS Veteran

We have always had wonderful experiences on the Magic, including our Med cruise in May. We, too, feel like she is our ship and holds a very special place in our hearts.