Girl Pooping At Disneyland Shanghai?

It's a different part of the world full of different customs. It seems unsanitary and unthinkable in the US based on our norms, but this is normal for them and I'm sure we've got plenty of customs that are at the very least odd to them. I try to consider these differences a "who cares as long as nobody is getting hurt" sort of matter. Of course, open urination and defecation can be a major public health problem and has been the source of many health issues in developing countries. Still, I have to hope Disney anticipated some of this. I mean, they spent all of this time researching cultural information to help with certain attractions and food offerings, so I would hope someone also bothered to take the time to research a wide array of cultural norms so they have a game plan for handling this. Ultimately, I go back to the as long as nobody is getting hurt mentality...and maybe the solution is just adding more CMs to sanitation to cover the areas where people might relieve themselves so that it doesn't present a health risk.

For the most part, mainland China is still a mostly rural, third world (in terms of way of living) country.

Diapers (and indoor plumbing), are luxury items that the vast majority of people simply do not have access to. Hence, when nature calls, you just learn to go wherever you are. Many mainlanders have never seen an actual toilet.

While there are large cities in China, most of the population doesn't live in one, and cultural influences passed on by relatives trickle down for many generations.

I live in a city in CA with a VERY large (newish) population of "new money" Chinese mainlanders. Our community is very well maintained, but we have almost a constant stream of examples of "bad behavior" related to garbage disposal, stealing lamdscaping plants to use in their own yards, letting their children urinate in public, blatant traffic and parking violations, etc. Cultural norms are VERY difficult to change.

The simple answer is money. The government controls everything the people are allowed to see and experience so having the blessing to build a Disney park in China means they can more easily get generations of Chinese obsessed with the brand. Also having a good relationship with China means that business relations between China and Disney will get better and therefore better Disney's chances to get television, movies, and other media approved for showing in mainland China.

A coworker of mine is from Shanghai and she said everyone is very excited about Disney opening there especially because theirs will be better than Hong Kong.

That's pretty much what I suspected. What I really should have written is that, assuming that Disney did all the research regarding customs and habits in China, that they would be willing to allow the brand and the property be subjected to that kind of treatment for the sake of making a buck (or several millions).

Just looked up the split pants. It seems it is an very very old style of elimination training that basically says if it is a bush or tree or road your kid can go there and after a short period of the training the child learns to go on command in a proper toilet or bath room facility but until that point you let the kid go when they first show signs of needing to while making a wosh or whistling sound.

It appears that the first thing Shanghai Disneyland needs to do is make a rule about diapering children who aren't potty trained. It seems that there are other facilities (public parks, play grounds, etc) that require such so diapers are becoming more common but many families still use a hybrid version of the elimination training only using diapers when out of the house. The whole process actually seems to be able cutting down on waste as well as just being traditional child raising at this point.

Just looked up the split pants. It seems it is an very very old style of elimination training that basically says if it is a bush or tree or road your kid can go there and after a short period of the training the child learns to go on command in a proper toilet or bath room facility but until that point you let the kid go when they first show signs of needing to while making a wosh or whistling sound.

It appears that the first thing Shanghai Disneyland needs to do is make a rule about diapering children who aren't potty trained. It seems that there are other facilities (public parks, play grounds, etc) that require such so diapers are becoming more common but many families still use a hybrid version of the elimination training only using diapers when out of the house. The whole process actually seems to be able cutting down on waste as well as just being traditional child raising at this point.

Or have selected areas in the park where children can do their business. I think Disney has more of a need to conform to China's standards than the other way around at the Shanghai park, and if it's their norm for young children to go in the open, then for sanitary purposes maybe areas should be set apart for these instances.

Or have selected areas in the park where children can do their business. I think Disney has more of a need to conform to China's standards than the other way around at the Shanghai park, and if it's their norm for young children to go in the open, then for sanitary purposes maybe areas should be set apart for these instances.
I agree however, I feel like that kind of defeats the purpose of what they do, which is just go as soon as they need to regardless of their surroundings.
If they had designated areas, they might as well use a bathroom.

The idea to have a diaper required was because that is something that is done in Shanghai. As I pointed out parks and playgrounds have signs that say diapers required. Parents (or grandparents) still do the scoop and noises but it is just caught in the diaper. I agree that "safe areas" would defeat the idea behind the practice .

Yup. I live in the South so there's a fair share of people opening up their truck doors and spitting tobacco juice onto the pavement. In some parts of the world, that'd be uncivil behavior. Different cultures, different concepts of "normal". That being said, if the Chinese don't embrace the Dole Whip with enthusiasm that park needs to be shuttered forever!

if the Chinese don't embrace the Dole Whip with enthusiasm that park needs to be shuttered forever!
I would be surprised if things like Dole Whip and Mickey bars are standard fare in China. Much of the world is not as hooked on sugar as Americans are. Years ago, Dunkin' Donuts tried to open up in China and failed miserably. The main reason was that they were trying to sell the same outrageously sweet donuts we get here. That didn't play to Chinese tastes, though. So DD pulled out, did more research, came up with new recipes that fit the local tastes, and I believe they are now back in country doing well.

I would be surprised if things like Dole Whip and Mickey bars are standard fare in China. Much of the world is not as hooked on sugar as Americans are. Years ago, Dunkin' Donuts tried to open up in China and failed miserably. The main reason was that they were trying to sell the same outrageously sweet donuts we get here. That didn't play to Chinese tastes, though. So DD pulled out, did more research, came up with new recipes that fit the local tastes, and I believe they are now back in country doing well.

Being totally fascetious with that last one...but yeah that makes a lot of sense. I've cut down on my sugar intake quite a bit over the last couple of years and once those tastebuds come back to life...you're floored by HOW sweet everything really is here...even things like chicken filets have sugar added to them...you can taste it. :crazy2:

Being totally fascetious with that last one...but yeah that makes a lot of sense. I've cut down on my sugar intake quite a bit over the last couple of years and once those tastebuds come back to life...you're floored by HOW sweet everything really is here...even things like chicken filets have sugar added to them...you can taste it. :crazy2:

Yes! I've noticed this as well.

Yep, I can vouch for sugar, and for salt too! Been trying (once gain) to "ratchet back" on both the last few months, and have found that several times. Interesting stuff there, Dr. Steve!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter