Girl of 14 burnt in tanning salon

Dr_Finkelstein

DIS Veteran
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7899199.stm

OK, I obviously have too much time on my hands, and should really be doing the hoovering just now, but what the hey!

I feel sorry for the girl, am pale skinned myself and have been sunburnt a few times in my youth - but am I alone in thinking -

"Hello!!!!! What about some personal responsibility???? You ignore all the posted safety warnings - but it's not your fault - it's obviously the bad salons fault!!!"

I do agree that these unmanned tanning salons should really have someone there to oversee, but when I was watching the news report there was a big poster in the salon's window just behind the reporter that clearly stated "No more than 4 mins". She stayed in for 20!!!!!!!

Maybe she can't read very well? :confused3

Di x

I agree, the shops should have staff there to supervise, however, the girl chose to ignore the warnings so don't see how she can blame anyone else :confused3 Also, as she is only 14 I don't think the mother should be condoning her sunbed use, even without burning they cause alot of damage to skin.

She chose to ignore the warnings.
I personally think sunbeds will be banned within a few years.

It's been said before in another thread but don't kids grow up fast these days. At 14 I wouldn't have looked at a tanning salon, let alone gone into one!

She herself said she shouldn't have been there, but I do think it's ridiculous to have unstaffed salons, there is always a risk with these things.

I feel really sorry for her because it so does not seem like a lot of money so she may have thought it can't be that bad just for £3.

When I was 14 we did not not need tanning shops because we used to have proper summers!!!!:rotfl:

me and my mum used to spend hours on our balcony laying in the sun. I can't claim to be a lot better now. I love the sun. why is it all the good things are so bad for us. hic!:drinking1

susan

Her Mum was on bbc news this am telling everybody that said impicitly(spel) told her NOT to go to tanning shop, oh well, seems she went anyway.I wouls have been terrified if I had got caught when i wa her age.

I don't know the full story but if she is 14 then I think the shop should take some responsibility.

At 14 can she really understand the implications of staying on a sun bed too long?

Lets face it kids are told the negatives of almost everything - drinking, smoking, unprotected sex. Can you honestestly say when we were 14 we took on board the full enormity of all those things. I for one did 2 out of the 3 in my 18-20's so I was an adult! (and I've never smoked so figure that out! :rotfl: )

At 14 you go around in a world where "nothing like that will happen to me" so my questions would be 1) How can a 14 year even be allowed in a tanning salon without their parents there to give permission???
2) Why can't machine be fitted with a key switch where only a qualified operater can switch them on so they can see who is having more than the time advised?

At the end of the day we can't have it both ways - we complain that kids are growing up too quickly but then when they do something like this we then expect them to have been adults in their behaviour.:confused3

Just my opinion as its many many years since I was 14 but I don't think she should take all the blame.

There was a clear sign on the door. There were warnings inside on the sunbeds.

The girl was bright enough to be able to read and understand what the warning meant.

You cant legislate against stupidity.

I blame the mother.

I don't think the girl herself is necessarily stupid, just naive and impulsive which is pretty normal for a 14 year old. Hopefully her injuries will act as a warning to other young teens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter