Gift for physician?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by lady9, Mar 30, 2013.

1. lady9

lady9 DIS Veteran

Our DS then 15, had a serious baseball accident almost 2 years ago (line drive to his face.) His injury was so severe our local hospital could not take care of him. We were sent to a hospital in a bigger city about an hour and a half from us. We are so grateful we were led to the right doctor who was amazing. She saved our son, and with the exception of a titanium plate in his forehead, he's back to normal and playing baseball. He needed two surgeries and multiple appointments, but we are ready to go for the last one next month. Is is appropriate to take a gift to show our appreciation? If so, what should it be? I already plan to take a thank you card.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. anna08

anna08 DIS Veteran

My favorite gift was always a homemade food item - never had time to bake with my career and I could share with my office staff! I had a patient who baked the most amazing bread - she would bring two loaves every year - one for me to take home and one for the staff to share. It brightened our office so much!

The other thing would be a picture of your son playing baseball - something she could post in her workspace to remind her all those extra hours and worry are worth it. Very nice of you to thank her, btw! ::yes::

4. pocomom

pocomom Brr.....

I think a heartfelt thank you and some treats for her office would be great! Glad to hear your son is doing so well!!!

5. Carlyzmom

Carlyzmom Axiom Crew

I work with a lot of docs. The LOVE to eat! LOL Maybe a gift card to a good restaurant, so he/she could have a nice dinner.

6. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

I've sent edible arrangements and once dropped off a pastry ring from panera.

7. StitchandPooh'sMom

StitchandPooh'sMom <font color=magenta>Now if only I could think of s

I sent an edible arrangement to our dentist, who went above and beyond caring for DD. He appreciated it very much.

8. luvmarypoppins

luvmarypoppins <font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu

I gave the surgeon a thank you note, a picture of our family because I wanted him to remember not just did he save my life, he also made sure my dh had a wife and my 3 ds had a mom. (I wrote that in the thank you note)

I also gave a cookie platter from the bakery for him and the staff

9. wallawallakids

wallawallakids DIS Veteran

I think a small gift card is fine. Maybe for coffee. My DH is a physician and he LIVES on coffee. ;)

Our son almost died of a pneumothorax and left heart shift at 24 hours of age. He had no cardiac output for several minutes. The doctor who saved his life happened to just be walking by and guess what the problem was. Not only did he blindly guess just in time but he sustained his life for the hour it took life flight to get there and relocate him to a NICU 4 hours away. I know nothing I could ever do could repay him for what he has given me. We send him a card every year on our son's birthday with a picture and handprint of our son in a cookbook. (The cookbook is because I learned he loves to cook in his off time). My hope is someday he will have 20 cookbooks in his collection that say thank you. They probably mean more to me, then to him, but my prayer is that he knows how much he means to this family of ours. I am telling you this story because he recently wrote and said how much he loves getting the letters and pictures of DS. How he loves seeing the changes in him from year to year. So maybe just a letter with a photo of your DS saying how much you appreciate all that she has done for you is honestly enough. I think being remembered probably means more then the gift. :)

10. Madison'smommy

Madison'smommy Mouseketeer

I used to work for a doctor... we would typically follow patients for 12-18 months... occasionally once they were "done" being seen, they would send something for the office. Edible arrangements or something along those lines! It was appreciated by all!

11. tinkgirl1984

tinkgirl1984 Mouseketeer

I work in a cardiology office, and from personal experience, food of some sort is usually the best option. Most of our physicians (there are 15 of them) tend to feel a little awkward about monetary gifts (gift cards included), but always love getting thank you cards and baked goods, treat baskets etc. Our doctors really go above and beyond every day, and I think it's really nice when people remind them how appreciated they are :)

12. Fueledbycoffee

Fueledbycoffee Mouseketeer

Who doesn't love a yummy treat?!

Thinking about your son's story, how about an autographed baseball from your son?! It would be something unique & part of their story.

13. MAJPLO

MAJPLO DIS Veteran

I gave my female obgyn a crystal vase with flowers and a gift card for a massage/spa when each of my kids were born.

14. maslex

maslex DIS Veteran

Funny this should come up. I have been thinking of doing the same thing for a doctor that my son just starting seeing. He was just diagnosed with seizures a little over a week ago and the doctor & his assistant have been phenomenal.

I was thinking of sending them an edible arrangement.

15. momto3gr8boys

momto3gr8boys DIS Veteran

I'm married to a doctor, and I agree on the note, picture and something edible. The whole office will love the treats and the gratitude and appreciation will be cherished by the doctor.

16. ProudMommyof2

ProudMommyof2 DIS Veteran

I am a Nurse Practitioner and I agree with above. A yummy treat that can be shared with the office staff is great. A personal note is the best!

We entered into medicine because it is what we love, but we are doing our job. It is always nice to know when someone appreciates a job well done :goodvibes

17. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

A fruit basket would be a good gift idea.

18. lady9

lady9 DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the suggestions, they are great. I love the idea of an autographed baseball from my DS. He can write a short thank you on it. We'll bring or send an edible treat that day as well. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't make her feel awkward if I sent something. I think an edible arrangement will be great so the entire office can enjoy it.

19. arminnie

arminnie <font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br

Last summer I woke up feeling bad with a fever. If it had been flu season I'd have probably just tried to wait it out. And I'd be dead.

12 hours later I went to the hospital by ambulance. My BP was 40/30. I spent the next week on life support with e coli sepsis. All of my organs were shutting down, and I was not expected to live. The fatality rate for older people with sepsis is well over 50%.

This hospital and the doctors truly did save my life.

My husband brought the staff donuts and treats the entire time I was there. We live just a few blocks from the hospital and have taken stuff over there a few times.

The staff was so shocked to see me as a "normal" person. I ballooned up over 40 pounds when my organs were shutting down so they would never have recognized me.

20. bushdianee

bushdianee <font color=green>I had a water fun day planned<br

When I was going through surgeries for cancer at the age of 21 my dad knew of someone who baked and decorated cakes. He had her make up a couple thanking the nurses and hospital staff when I was finally released after 24 days.
    On another note, my family received something unusual from a doctor. My parents had seen the same doctor for several years and really liked him. He took care of both of them through many issues. My mom used to take trays of cookies or boxes of candy for holidays. She always took some for the staff and a smaller seperate one for the doctor. The doctor had cancer himself and retired about 2 years ago. When my Mom passed away in July we were shocked to receive a card and a very generous check from him. It allowed us to make a sizable donation to a medical organization in her memory. Sadly I just read yesterday that the doctor has now passed away.

21. basketrn

basketrn Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor manten

I am a NP too and agree with this one :thumbsup2