gift cards questions for experts this year

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by tarheel618, Dec 15, 2008.

1. tarheel618

tarheel618 DIS Veteran

My shopping is done except for gift cards

What stores/restaurants should I NOT buy cards for because they are rumored to be closing?

Here is what I usually buy
    Lowes
    Aeropostale
    Hollister
    Chilis
    Darden (Red Lobster)
    JC Penny
    Sears

I know I could do the Visas but I hate the service fee and I usually do small amounts on these cards around 20 but some would be 50. I don't want to waste money.

Thanks for the information

2. Shmily1

Shmily1 DIS Veteran

There are many emails going out about stores closing that are all not true. If you see a notice on the store's website about them closing, then they are closing, otherwise you should be very safe.

3. burberryplaid

burberryplaid <font color=darkorange>Addicted to SOARIN's Orange

I think all of those you listed are fine. I haven't heard that any of them are in danger of closing. I think a lot of places have gotten a bad rep through phoney e-mails that have been circulating. For what it's worth, the only place you mentioned that was on the phoney e-mail is Lowe's who has scaled back plans to open new stores but has not announced any closings of current stores.

4. The Disney Bunch

The Disney Bunch Disney Fiends!!

This has been addressed several times on this board- you cannot believe the email going around abou the stores that are closing because a good amount of the information is erroneous. Check it out on snopes. Use your common sense and check the financial papers about companies if you are wondering how a company is doing. good luck!