Giant change jar!

alliecats

DIS Veteran
After wanting one for a long time, I finally found a large water cooler jug I could buy! (And thanks in advance for being the type of people who understand this kind of a quest, and for not making fun of me!) I have wanted a large, see-through jug so that I could see it growing and get inspired to put more in. And Home Depot was selling them (with water, of course) for $6. I'd just love to know how much money a 5-gallon jug will hold when it is full--I'll let you guys know in a couple years. Anyway, if anyone else wants one, now you know where to go! ::yes::

Congrats! I know my small Donald, Fred and plastic Coca Cola bottle banks can hold at least $200. I'd bet your bottle could hold a few thousand! :earseek:

That will be fun filling that one up!!! Do let us know how much it holds when you get it filled up!!!

Donna::MinnieMo

Alliecats,

I'm doing the same thing. I got a 5-gallon water jug from work last year. I've been putting my spare change in it since then. It's only my change- no hubby or kids to help. Right now it's up to the first round indentation in the bottle. Still a long way to go.

I've taken some out here and there when the unexpected happened, but I've been good about leaving it alone. When it's filled I'm gonna treat myself to something or someplace really special!

I can't wait to find out how much it will hold. Boy, are the banks NOT gonna wanna see me :teeth:

Good Luck saving!

Terri

I used to do the same thing but I would buy rolls of quarters when I had some extra $$$. It was less tempting than seeing bill in there. Now that I think of it, it is probably even LESS tempting to put dimes or nickels in....oh well
Good luck!

My girlfriend saved only her "silver" in a 5-gallon water jug. It took her approx 4 years to fill it (not to the rim, but maybe an inch or so below). She opted to take it to a coin star machine (she should have paid me to roll it:p ) and when all was said and done she had a little over $2,900 (not including whatever fee the machine collected from her). I have been saving my silver ever since (but am no where near where she was)

we used a smaller water jug once and save $2400 in everything. My dad and I did it in about 14-16 months. not bad...we rolled just before a cruise.. wooohoo!

Wow! I guess it can hold that much--I just can't conceive of it. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll post back with my Giant Change Jar progress. :wave2:

I do know someone who did that and got over $ 5000.00 in his jar, nice!!!! Good luck saving!!!!!!!

That is gonna be fun to see how much that will hold. I need to get a bigger container than what I have now. I have a coffe can that I put all of my pennies in, and a smaller "can" bank for nickels, dimes,and quarters. If I am gonna get serious about saving coins I definitely need to get something at least "pickel jar" sized!!! Don't you think?

Donna::MinnieMo

They have some cute, inexpensive coin banks at WDW (World of Disney, Emporium, etc.). I bought one that was in the shape of the monorail to use to save up for my next trip.

DBF and I did this last year! We saved $400+ over the course of one year (the bottle was not full). Now we are doing it again, but wedon't have that much quite yet. We use it to buy our adult beverages and souveniers in WDW.

We have a little system, it goes soemthing like this...

No change is ever used to purchase something at a store. If you ahve change in your wallet, it is already dedicated to the bottle.

Each week, try to make a contribution to the bucket.

Sometimes we set goals, like "We will each contribute $15 to the bottle per week."

We bought the 5 gallon Coke bottle at Station Cool in Epcot.

Good luck with your saving!

Ashley:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter