GF pompous?

search66

Earning My Ears
I'm booked at GF (9/15) with a lagoon view, and had a couple of questions. I'm sure that they were answered in the FAQ... but... I started trudging through the 260+ pages and started to get numb...

:)

Anyway... I've heard people claim that the GF is a bit 'uppity' and not as kid-friendly as others. I have 3 kiddos and want to make sure their trip is brilliant. Has anyone felt that way before about the GF?

Secondly... I know I want to reserve some character dining, but wasn't sure on where to look. Are there any 'special' events/character showings that happen only at the GF?

Thanks for your time!

I'm booked at GF (9/15) with a lagoon view, and had a couple of questions. I'm sure that they were answered in the FAQ... but... I started trudging through the 260+ pages and started to get numb...

Anyway... I've heard people claim that the GF is a bit 'uppity' and not as kid-friendly as others. I have 3 kiddos and want to make sure their trip is brilliant. Has anyone felt that way before about the GF?

Secondly... I know I want to reserve some character dining, but wasn't sure on where to look. Are there any 'special' events/character showings that happen only at the GF?

Thanks for your time!

I haven't stayed there since 1999. But the first time I stayed there, I was barely 5 years old, and I seriously thought it was heaven. Staying there, in my opinion, was as perfect as staying in the castle. Everyone there was so friendly and nice and they even said that the "Best of the Best" as far as CMs go get sent to GF. I have heard people complain about GF, but personally I have only experienced luxury and sweetness there.

As far as character dining, we ate at 1900 Park Fare last year with Cinderella, Prince, and the Mice. But you might want to check up on if you are going while they're renovating. Call 1-WDW-DINE!

From what I've seen most of the people who think that the GF is "uppity", haven't actually stayed there. Yes, it looks really nice, and they play classical music or jazz in the lobby, but everyone is really friendly and the service is as good as it gets (IMO) on Disney property. We LOVE to stay there, and it is in fact my favorite resort (and I'm a guy :)). I think you will have a great time there. Don't worry about it at all.

Thank you for your feedback... I really appreciate it!

Also... The only negative thing I've heard about the GF is that the walls are very thin and you can hear other rooms at night. Has anyone else heard of that or experienced it?

I'm probably going to put my foot in my mouth, but many years ago we got asked to switch from the CR to the GF 8 days before we were leaving home for the same money. We've always stayed at CR, probably 8 times and we not thrilled to make the switch, we do not like change. We did it anyway, figured for the money difference we would never stay there outright. We were awed by the resort. Huge, mostly all white, refined, delicate, but that was that. We did not care for the airs, attitude or demeanor of the resort. It just felt snooty, which its a far cry from, but it just wasn't our relaxed cup of tea. We were in one of the out buildings and a good walk to the food court which wasn't as good as the CR. Remember this was many years ago when it first opened.

On the same stay, WL just started booking and we bused over to take a look, we were floored. This is where we wanted to stay, bettern CR. Needless to say, most of our stays have been to WL, best all round everything, which includes the price. We have stayed Poly and Y&B Clubs and again the CR for nostalia, but hands down its WL. Atmosphere we were looking for and like, down home friendly, all enclosed resort, ideal themed pool area, boat to MK and FW and a lodge that beyond wonder, fantastic to say the least.

These our just our ways and feelings, others swear by the BF, it is a Grand resort but we like the country down home feeling and the price of the GF we feel is alittle over the top.

We love the GF. I stayed there many times as a teenager. I never felt out of place and always loved it. When I got married, we stayed there for our honeymoon. Once we had kids, we've stayed there a couple of times. The kids loved it and so did we. We don't tend to stay there often because I usually can get a better rate elsewhere. If I could get a good rate, I'd be there in a hearbeat. It's a great resort. I don't have any memories of hearing other folks in there rooms.

Yes, it looks really nice, and they play classical music or jazz in the lobby
Actually, I think the orchestra plays mostly Disney songs :goodvibes .

Depending on your kids ages, they have story time, arts & crafts, daily pool games at the courtyard pool (no charge). For an additional fee, there's also the Grand Adventures in Cooking, the Wonderland Tea Party and the Pirate Adventure. The character meal is being relocated to the Cafe while 1900 Park Fare undergoes it's renovations. They have a 24 hour counter service grill and arcade, plus an ice cream shoppe. Definitely comfortable for kids and not what I'd call uppity.

Actually, I think the orchestra plays mostly Disney songs :goodvibes ....

You know, Tammi, I think you're right. I know they do play some jazz & standards, but now that I think about it, it seems like about 50% of what they play is Disney stuff. A nice little reminder, that this IS still Disney.

Man, I wish I was there right now! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your time!

I used to stay there each year growing up. We are far from snooty. I have nothing bad to say about the place.

When you check in, they drive you over to your room on a nice little golf cart. It's a nice touch. The service of the employees at the GF is impeccable.

The kids will have plenty to do. There's a decent game room and Gasparilla's is a darn good counter service option.

The GF Cafe is a great place for lunch - just a really solid meal they serve. I was wishy-washy on Narcoosees, but I've heard Citricos is awesome. If your kids are girls, they'd probably love 1900 Park Fare - cinderella, fairy Godmother, etc.

And then there's the lobby. You need to see it.

If you like to imbibe, Mizner's Lounge upstairs from the lobby is a great place to unwind with a few pops.

Super kid friendly! I would not worry a bit. I see more kids at the GF than almost anywhere else and I've never gotten the feeling that its snooty at all.

We have stayed there several times, main building concierge actually, and found the CMs and the guests to be some of the NICEST at Disney. I didn't know what to expect either, but we were so pleasantly surprised. We've been going to WDW regularly over the past 16 yrs - 40+ trips and done all the deluxes we care to try several times over. Of all of them, GF is consistently the BEST. The kindnesses we've experienced by the CMs and even guests while staying at the GF have just added so much magic to our trips. :wizard: I love that place and have trouble staying anywhere else.

Happy planning.....once you give the GF a try you'll be hooked.

Lives4Disney :)

Even though my family and I have not stayed at the Grand Floridian we always visit it a few times while in WDW and we don't think it's pompous at all. Every year during the holidays they have the Gingerbread house in the lobby of the Royal Palm building which always attracts families with kids, plus they have a min arcade in their counter service location at Gasparilla Grill & Games. I also know they have a junior chefs program which kids can participate in, so they are 100% not a pompous Resort.

It's a hotel. I don't think there is such a thing as an "uppity" hotel. And the GF isn't one, if there is.

And there isn't a hotel on property that doesn't have bunches of kids running around...it is Disney World. Kids are part of the deal. :)

my two cents and be sure to listen to the fact -WE DID NOT STAY THERE. BUT VISITED- just to check it out- it felt stuffy to me- uncomfortable- but we just walked :cool1: thru the lobby and started to get a drink by the bar and we decided not to - mostly because of the feel of it all. But it was definetly elegant!

I believe that most Grand Floridian visitors simply expect such a beautiful hotel and its employees to be "uppity." However, once you're there (whether lodging or passing through) it is pretty easy to see that the typically warm and friendly CMs work there. Is it everyone's cup o' tea? Definitely not. We prefer the laid back Polynesian theme, and others love the fun atmosphere at Pop Century.

That's what makes Disney magical - there's something for everyone!

Just a few personal opinions on your posted questions.

The GF is a victorian, turn of the century themed hotel. It is as "kid friendly" as any of the other on property hotels/villas. After all, DW is for kids, and the kid in all of us. I think the first impression when seeing the elegance & grandeur of the GF, some folk just "assume" that it is "uppity". GF is a good place to view the fireworks, better than being in the crowds of the MK. Have stayed at the GF many times, and haven't had the "thin wall" problem.

GF has character dining, usually at 1900 Park Fare. Personally, I have found character dining (Chef Mickey's) at the Contemporary the best on property. All the kids I have taken there seem to prefer it to 1900 and always want to go back. The Contemporary seems to offer more characters, (i.e. Mickey, Minnie, Donald & Daisy) as each dining location offers different characters. When you check-in, ask what characters will be available at 1900, and then check with
the Contemporary to be sure most of the ones you want to see will be there.

Hope my experiences have helped in some small way. I just bet, you're counting the days till you arrive. HAVE A GOOD VACATION.

We were 3 adults staying there but i saw children everywhere enjoying their stay with 2 pools there is plenty of water fun while there may be some ideas others have about staying at the GF it is not upitty once you leave the grandure of the main loby you are in lovely gardens and walkways with views of the mk who could not like that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter