GF or Poly?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by lovemy2girls4eva, Jul 9, 2013.

1. lovemy2girls4eva

lovemy2girls4eva Mouseketeer

Hi there!

Last Sept my family and I stayed at The Contemporary. Although we loved it, we would like to try a different resort this time. We are thinking of either the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian. We will be going next year and my kids will be 4 and 2.5! Thanks for any feedback/reviews on these 2 resorts!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. mirage0306

mirage0306 DIS Veteran

I have always liked the Poly over the GF, personally. Haven't stayed at either yet but will be at the Poly later this month. Both are beautiful resorts--I would go with whatever theme appeals to you more. In our case, it's the Poly. But for some, it would be the GF.

Both are close to MK, though Poly gets a slight edge IMO, in that you can walk to the TTC to pick up the Epcot monorail and you don't have to transfer. Both have nice pools, beaches, lovely landscaping.

Which one calls to you more? I'd just go with that.

4. Tink0812

Tink0812 Mouseketeer

Both are beautiful resorts! Although I haven't stayed at either of them, if I were choosing for me and I could afford it, I would stay at the Grand Floridian; however, I think your kids would enjoy the theming of the Poly better. It just seems more kid-friendly!

5. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Both are wonderful! But my heart belongs to the Poly. :goodvibes

6. Princess Katherine

Princess Katherine The Yeti's Girlfriend

We have stayed at both and prefer the Poly. Although the GF has some good pros too. The Poly has a better theme, and a better location to view Wishes but the GF has a quieter pool and its layout is less complicated next to the Poly's.

Katie

7. Phelia325

Phelia325 Mouseketeer

My vote is for the GF. Your kids will love the new splash pad. I find the Poly pool is hard to manage with my two young kids who can't swim yet.

8. Dizneefamily+4

Dizneefamily+4 Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

:thumbsup2 This! We've never stayed at the GF - the theming and the resort itself just doesn't appeal to us. We've stayed at the Poly (and will be there for another trip in just over 3 weeks! :yay:) and it's our fave of ALL the resorts - and we've stayed at Deluxe and mods. It's our kids' favorite too. I tried to talk them into CR this trip - simply for the walkability to MK, but they were NOT interested.

The Poly theming is great and you can't be access to the resort monorail AND the TTC in one resort!

9. ilovedisneyworld

ilovedisneyworld Mouseketeer

Your kids would enjoy the pool at the poly. It's got great theming.

10. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

The Poly or GF would work great for your age kids! They are both convenient to the MK by monorail or boat. However, I think that the edge goes to the Poly. It is such a family friendly resort. The GF is also nice but 'feels' a bit more adult. You feel more relaxed and at home in the Poly, you feel more pampered and elegant in the GF. It's really an atmosphere thing, though, and depends upon how you react to the theming personally.

The Poly also has walking accss to the TTC which is great for hopping onto the Epcot monorail without taking the MK monorail first and switching to the Epcot at the TTC which you do from the GF.

One last point to consider - they are building a Polynesian Villa nearby sometime soon. Depending on when you are going and how much construction near the resort may bother you, you might want to take that into consideration.

11. wdwrich

wdwrich DIS Veteran

12. fabulousfive

fabulousfive DIS Veteran

I LOVE the GF and we feel so comfy there. The people are so friendly, the pools beautiful, and the rooms very clean! :) We feel it a perfect setting for our little princesses and just enhances our already-magical trips. We've been to the Poly for meals & shopping, but we prefer the GF for staying. Plus, it's great to have some of our ADRs at the resort -- again, ones that are perfect for girls. If you have boys, Poly may be a better choice.

13. lovemy2girls4eva

I have 2 little girls!

14. lovemy2girls4eva

Thanks everyone! Both are beautiful..just have to decide which one!

15. LadyTrampScamp&Angel

LadyTrampScamp&Angel DIS Veteran

You can see a lot is personal preference - so which theme appeals to you most?
    I was also going to mention that if you have girls, the GF has character meals that might appeal to them, although it's super easy to go over there from the Poly. I'd say pick the theme that appeals most to the family :) Both are great resorts!

16. elaw

elaw DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

17. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

We've stayed at both and while the GF is a beautiful resort, we love the Poly :goodvibes. The tropical atmosphere is relaxing, the volcano pool is great as it backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle, and the beach can't be beat for watching the fireworks :cloud9:. You really can't go wrong with either one as they are both great, but my choice would be the Poly.

18. fabulousfive

fabulousfive DIS Veteran

Ha, I should have looked at your name! :) The GF is very girly & has some great tea party & character meal options.

19. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

While you can't go wrong with either resort, my first pick would be the Poly. I just like the Polynesian theme more. It has my wife's and my favorite Disney restaurant, Ohana. Even when we aren't staying at the Poly we still try to make time to eat there.

20. flamark

flamark Mouseketeer

Obviously you must stay at POLY next because it is the next stop on the monorail circle after CR. Jumping POLY and staying at GF would upset the delicate laws of physics and you don't want to be responsible for that do you? Also throw in the fact that POLY is the best resort on property and the choice is simple.::yes::

21. DisneyDoc5

DisneyDoc5 Making memories...

I would say Poly, but just double check the threads on construction, the main volcano pool is rumored to be closing for a long rehab starting in January. This would be a deal breaker for our kids. They are also doing refurbishment on the Grand Ceremonial House - not sure when this start or how it will effect the feel of the resort. I don't tell you this to deter you, but I don't want you to be disappointed if your trip falls during this time.

Have a super trip!!!:cool1: