Getting Ready for a Wild Time at Food & Wine- An October 2015 PTR - Updated 7/27

OMG! My heart may have skipped a beat when I read "cancel my reservation" but it looks like it's for a WONDERFUL reason!!! Woohoo! That'll be fabulous! :woohoo:

I was going to be so sad for you, but WOOHOO for AKL! We would love to stay there.

That may have been part of the idea :o

I'M HEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: So sorry for my late arrival. It's been all I can do lately not to neglect my own threads, much less keep up with my wonderful DISfriends! Forgive me, Royal Princess! :hug:

Yay you're here! Definitely forgiven :hyper2:

I'm so so so happy you're doing a PTR! Planning is so much more fun with company! Not to mention sometimes it really helps to put all the thoughts in your head down in writing for the rest of us addicts to read and discuss! :thumbsup2

OMG OMG OMG! I can't believe you're upgrading from Pop to AKL! Whaaaaat! :eek: That's amazeballs! I'm a peanut butter and jealous sandwich!!!

What is this Erin McSomebody-Or-Another's cupcake you mentioned at DTD? I have never heard of such a thing! And I'm a sucker for a good cupcake... Or any cupcake, really... :scratchin

Your tentative itinerary looks great! I'm diggin' all the Epcot time fo' sho'! I'm also manically refreshing the Disney Travel Agent portal for you at work this week until I see the October park hours post. It should be literally any day/minute now! :hyper:

I'm definitely excited for AKL! Once ran the numbers on renting points and upgrading I couldn't exist. I'm kind of using this as a test drive and if it goes well, then I may do the same thing if (what am I saying "if," might as well be honest and say when) I do a 2016 trip at either Boardwalk or Beach Club (which I'd have to do at 11 months out) or AKL again. I'm a big EPCOT fan, and I'm basically trying to decide between fall break or post exams pre-Christmas in 2016. I originally was going to hold off until 2017 for graduation/30th birthday extravaganza, but I think we all know that won't happen.

Erin McKenna's is the bakery formerly known as Babycakes. It's a gluten-free, vegan bakery. I'm just vegetarian, but I try to do as much vegan (and as little dairy and eggs) as possible. It was always a real treat for those of us with special dietary requirements.

Thanks for keeping the lookout for park hours! :flower1:

AKL is such a great a hotel! Enjoy!

I know. I'm pumped and keep watching youtube videos and old Samantha Brown specials on it! The last time I stayed at a deluxe was 2010, so I'm excited to try it again. I'm also a huge fan of Boma (which will now definitely be a meal) and can't wait to try the Mara!

A quick upcoming programming note:

There is a new title!(Thanks @Elevationist! Great minds think alike!)

I'm travelling next week for Spring Break but my next update will likely be when park hours are released (which could be pretty much any day now!) Proud that we made it to page 2, never thought that would happen :love:

Erin McKenna's is the bakery formerly known as Babycakes. It's a gluten-free, vegan bakery. I'm just vegetarian, but I try to do as much vegan (and as little dairy and eggs) as possible. It was always a real treat for those of us with special dietary requirements.
Ooooh, this is VERY good to know! I probably won't get anything there, as I consciously go out of my way to eat as unhealthily as I possibly can. :rotfl: My aunt, however, has issues with gluten, and tries to avoid it as best she can. I think we'll definitely stop by to see if there's any treats there she would like to have. :cutie:

Oh my goodness! Yah! I stayaed at Jambo house for my college graduation! I love that resort! Hope you do too!!

Update 5: Park hours and Planning
Sorry this update has taken a while. I've been on Spring Break in NYC, so haven't been on the Dis for about a week.
So in case you didn't see @Elevationist post (Thank you so much by the way!), park hours for October have been released.
As a result of park hours and the new hotel, I've made a few changes to my original plan...
So here's the game plan right now:
October 28: Still arrive late; pick up dinner or a snack (ZEBRA DOMES!!!) at the Mara
October 29: EPCOT now has evening extra magic hours, so right now the plan is to get there at or close to the 9 am opening. Either grab breakfast at the Mara on the way out or something at Starbucks or Sunshine Season. Planning to get FP+ for Soarin', Mission Space, and Spaceship Earth. Lunch will be the booths at Food & Wine. Unless, I decide to do one of the seminars, I'll take a break going back to the hotel around 4 pm and head back around 6:30 or 7. Make dinner reservations in World Show (probably Chefs de France or Teppan Edo) for around 7:30. Then stay as late as 11 hitting booths and rides. Does anyone know if the Food & Wine booths are open during EMH?
October 30: Morning EMH (aka 8 AM) at Animal Kingdom. Grab coffee in the room or at the Mara (or at the Starbucks in AK). Ride the Safari and Expedition Everest (and maybe a few other things). Head to Magic Kingdom for the afternoon/evening. Hoping for lunch at Be Our Guest around 12:15 (back up will be Columbia Harbor House and may choose to do this anyway) and FP+ booked in the afternoon for Space Mountain, 7 Dwarves Mine Train, and Big Thunder Mountain. If there is time or I feel I missed everything the previous day, I still may hop over to EPCOT. Head back to the hotel for a late (7:45 or 8 pm) dinner at Jiko and enjoy the animals in night vision.
October 31: Sleep in. Breakfast at Boma and leave.

A couple of other planning notes:
With the change to renting points, I've dropped the dining plan. Depending on the ADRs I end up with I may add it back or not.
Also, does anyone know if renting points you get the 60 day or 30 day FP+ window?

The Countdown:
43 days to ADRs
163 days to FP+
223 days to Disney!!!!

F&W Booths are not open during EMH.
I can second this. I noted on my Epcot EMH night last September that all the booths were completely closed up by the time Illuminations was over. :sad2:

As for your question about FP+ and DVC, I would imagine it's 60 days. I would be super shocked if it's not. You're still in an on-site Disney-owned-and-operated resort that links up to your My Disney Experience account. You should be fine at 60 days, I think! :thumbsup2

Update 6: The Disney Lull and a note about April Updates
I returned from NYC to having a major assignment due, so I haven't much (well, really any Disney time). Our exams are at the end of the month, so updates are likely to be more sporadic then may. It works out well though, because this is kind of the Disney lull. I have my park hours, but I have just over a month to ADRs and too far out for thinking about FP+.

As mentioned, my Mom and I are going Universal for WWoHP right after I finish finals. I've been working on our schedule and plans for that trip mostly. If anyone would be interested in those plans let me know, I'll do an update pre-trip. (I'm planning to do a trip report over on the Universal forums for it after I get back)

There's also a chance that this may not be a solo trip. My dad and I have a tradition of Daddy-daughter trips going back to when I was 5 and he is retiring this year, so he may decide to tag along. I'll know this summer.

I've answered my questions from last week. I got some Mickey Mail and so was able to add my rented points reservation to MDE. As a result, I will be able to book FP+ at 60 days out.

Also, unless I change the ADRs I'm planning, I won't be doing the Dining plan. Primarily because I want to do Jiko and because with the kitchen in the studio, I'll need fewer snacks/breakfasts.

Right now I'm most excitedly waiting them to announce Food & Wine events, but that doesn't usually happen until April or May. But they were early with party dates this year as well.

The Countdown:
34 days to ADRs
154 days to FP+
214 days to Disney!!!!

Ahhh the dreaded Disney lull... good thing time flies so fast - you'll be outta it in no time at all! And your trip to the "dark side" is so soon too!!! :rotfl: So that'll help! :thumbsup2

Update 7: Starting to make travel plans
Still in the Disney lull, but I did my schedule for Fall classes. The good news is I'm going to go ahead and leave in the morning rather than wait and leave in the afternoon on the way down. It takes about 9 hours or so, so this means I should be there in time for dinner and to explore the hotel the first night. I'm still planning to drive right now but am getting dangerously close to enough points for a free flight. If that happens, then I may just decided to go ahead and fly.

The Countdown:
29 days to ADRs
149 days to FP+
209 days to Disney!!!!

Joining in!

:woohoo: for AKL! I LOVE that resort and I'm so excited for you that you get a chance to stay there!

It looks like you've made some dining decisions, but my preferences for your Epcot night would be Via Napoli (my favorite Disney World restaurant) or La Hacienda de San Angel. Via has been awesome on my last two trips, and La Hacienda was a surprise favorite during my 2013 trip. I can absolutely stand behind your other two firm choices - both Jiko and Boma are fabulous!

Please feel free to share anything about your journey to the Dark Side - as you can see, I'll be heading that way just a few weeks after you! :goodvibes

I can't wait to hear all about your studio at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and especially about JIKO! It's still very much on my bucket list! In 2017, I'm hoping to do Deluxe Dining and knock out most of the Signature restaurants I've always wanted to try. It look DELICIOUS! Yum! :cutie:

You live 9 hours from WDW?! I'm SOOOO jealous!!! ::yes::

And next Fall I don't have Friday classes, it's making the thought of getting an AP so tempting.

Joining in!

:woohoo: for AKL! I LOVE that resort and I'm so excited for you that you get a chance to stay there!

It looks like you've made some dining decisions, but my preferences for your Epcot night would be Via Napoli (my favorite Disney World restaurant) or La Hacienda de San Angel. Via has been awesome on my last two trips, and La Hacienda was a surprise favorite during my 2013 trip. I can absolutely stand behind your other two firm choices - both Jiko and Boma are fabulous!

Please feel free to share anything about your journey to the Dark Side - as you can see, I'll be heading that way just a few weeks after you! :goodvibes

Welcome! We've done La Hacienda before but have never done Via Napolia or Tutto so I'm kind of leaning that way right now. And it's a shame it looks like we'll just miss each other on our trips to the dark side.

Update 8: Another Change
First things first, the countdown is now below 200!!! :yay:

Now for another big change...
This is no longer a solo trip. My Dad is going with me for a Daddy-Daughter trip since my mom is going with me to Universal in May. While another solo trip would be fun, I'm happy to have him along too!!

The Countdown:
15 days to ADRs
136 days to FP+
195 days to Disney!!!!

YAY for being under 200 days! :woohoo: My December trip is at 231 days, so I'm not too terribly far behind you! :cutie:

And YAY for Daddy, too! That's awesome that he's joining you! :-)

Update 9: ADR Wishlist
I had my first exam for the semester today. Law School exams are a special kind of word that rhymes with bell that I will not say on a Disney message board. So I will be updating more sporadically and am basically not keeping up on pre-trips/trip reports until after they're done. (I'm probably showing my age here but the word sporadically always makes me think of Clueless).

Just over a week to my ADR day so here's my wish list

10/28- None; dinner at the Mara if we get there in time
10/29- Dinner at Chefs de France around 7pm
10/30- Lunch at BoG around 12:30 pm
Dinner at Jiko around 8:00 pm
10/31 Breakfast at Boma around 9:30 am

The Countdown:
8 days to ADRs
129 days to FP+
188 days to Disney!!!!

Woohoo! I to am going In October...Sept28th-oct 8th to be exact. I was I went to one of the very first Food and Wines when I was a teen and thought it was fun. This time Im doing an all girls trip and I cant wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter