Getting new kittens and Pet Peeve

skater

<font color=blue>Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't
Somehow we've gotten into the cat rescue and foster business. Our last kitten (a previously very feral boy) was adopted last Saturday, and here we go again! We're driving into the city to pick up a litter of 5 and their Mama from my parents' back porch. I really didn't plan to keep doing this, but there are always more cats. This will be my 4th batch of fosters/rescues. I cry every time I give them up too.

One of my biggest peeves is the people who say, "Oh, I could never do that. I would love them too much!" As is I don't love them as much as they would :(.

I've got my cage ready as well as food, a box, and a towel. Hopefully, Mama will follow her kittens and some food into the cage. I don't have good info. on how friendly she is.

Thanks for listening!

Somehow we've gotten into the cat rescue and foster business. Our last kitten (a previously very feral boy) was adopted last Saturday, and here we go again! We're driving into the city to pick up a litter of 5 and their Mama from my parents' back porch. I really didn't plan to keep doing this, but there are always more cats. This will be my 4th batch of fosters/rescues. I cry every time I give them up too.

One of my biggest peeves is the people who say, "Oh, I could never do that. I would love them too much!" As is I don't love them as much as they would :(.

I've got my cage ready as well as food, a box, and a towel. Hopefully, Mama will follow her kittens and some food into the cage. I don't have good info. on how friendly she is.

Thanks for listening!

It's kitten season.

Sad...I wish people would practice responsible pet ownership and fix their animals.

But you are awesome for fostering the sweet babies!(And I'm including Mama in that statement.;))

I've trapped many unfriendly feral cats in my warehouse with the have a hart live trap. They're pretty easy to catch, and then you just grab the kittens. The adults don't really make good pets unless they've had a lot of human interaction growing up. They usually end up in the barn on mouse duty.

My step-sister is hugely into cat rescue. She has trapped hundreds of feral cats and had them neutered/spayed and then released them. Pretty soon everyone knew what she did. So, one day, while she was traveling, her mom (my step-mother) was housesitting (dogs and cats need care!!). A stranger came up to the door, rang the bell and started to walk away. Step-mom went to the door, asked the retreating person what they wanted. 'OH, we heard this is the house to drop off cats we don't want anymore.' and she got into her car and drove away. Left 3 cats, in a box, on the porch off to the side!!!
So be careful.....you don't want word to get out.

Thanks for listening!

You are an ANGEL. You love them more than the average person; you have to in order to be able to give them away to good homes. They need that love until their forever homes are found.

Someone like you raised my kitty that I didn't find until she was 3 years old. I can't thank them, so I can thank you instead! :wave2:

I so agree with Handbag ladys post.

OP, because of selfless people like.you, my.family has a handsome black once.feral kitten with fiv. our local.spca.would.have killed him and his.siblings.

Thank you for being such a good person and taking care of these wonderful creatures. People just don't know what to say sometimes.

Thanks so much everyone for the kind replies. We got all 5 kittens in the cage (medium size dog cage) and lured the Mama in with her babies and some food. She was pretty scared and it took a lot of patience. She's not totally feral, but she's skittish. We just got them all placed in a very large cat cage in my DD's bedroom with lots of food for the Mama.

I think they're about 2-2 1/2 weeks old and each one looks a little different. This is great because one batch we raised had two black babies and three grey. We had to look very hard to tell them apart :rotfl:.

Mama is nervous and nursing them mostly sitting up. I think she'll settle down in my DD's quiet bedroom tonight. I can't wait to see them in the morning ;).

Thanks for listening!

First off you are a great person for doing that!

Secondly in regards to your pet peeve, I don't think people mean you don't love them, I think people mean that they wouldn't be able to give them up and they would become too attached to the kittens. I know I would.

Years ago my friends grandmother was in the hospital and then had to go to rehab and they needed someone to babysit the cat, I said I would do it, when the family decided that grandma was going into assisted living and said theyeould have to find a home for him, I told them I would keep him. He was around 9 or 10 at the time and I felt it was best for the cat if he stayed with me if he wasn't going back to his family. I think if I fostered kittens I wouldn't want to give them up.

I'm glad you got them. :hug:

I think what you are doing is great. I would love to foster kittens. My dh would go crazy! I would be in heaven! But then I would keep them. I plan to hoard cats later in life.

I think maybe when people say they couldn't do that, they don't mean you don't love them, but that they are not selfless enough to let them go. If that makes sense... It's difficult to articulate exactly.

Another kittie foster mom here. It is hard to give them up,but there are always more waiting in need.We are their bridge to their furever home:cloud9:I am waiting for my first little ones of kitten season!

Another kittie foster mom here. It is hard to give them up,but there are always more waiting in need.We are their bridge to their furever home:cloud9:I am waiting for my first little ones of kitten season!

You know its coming! We still have a Mama cat from a previous group, and I am already mourning the day that she gets adopted, but I know there are only so many I can keep - and if she doesn't find a home and the next one doesn't get a home, then I will eventually be done. I grieved hard for a few days when my last one left - it took us four months to tame him, and we had a true connection. I can still see him running past me in the hallway and flying through the air past my head :goodvibes. He was my miracle kitty, and I will probably always miss him. I hope everything goes smoothly with your next foster babies :).

Thank you for doing what you do! It takes a big heart and much strength to foster like that.

We have a 7 month old kitten from a litter my DH's coworker was kind enough to take in after finding the very pregnant momma abandoned. We couldn't take more than one, with our circumstances, but DH was seriously worried that we would end up with 2 kids (one with Leukemia), 1 older cat, and 4 new kittens plus their mom. It was a close decision ;-)

I saw thank you very much! My kitty came from a Foster. You have a special kind of love, and its even greater. View them as your grandkitties! Get to keep them, and give them back home when they make a mess.

It's kitten season.

Sad...I wish people would practice responsible pet ownership and fix their animals.

But you are awesome for fostering the sweet babies!(And I'm including Mama in that statement.;))

I agree all mine have been chipped and neutered, and its incredible when some can foster and rehome cats.

This gentleman is on his 35th family of kittens he is fostering.

http://new.livestream.com/FosterKittenCam/TheCosmoFosters

Thank you for fostering.

Wow! I decided to start a journal today, so we don't lose track. This is our 4th group since last May, and I'm scared I'll start to forget some of them.

I have to say its amazing to see that they already have unique personalities. The grey tabby is an adventurer - very bold. One of the tortoiseshells is a cry baby - and very loud :goodvibes. The black long hair is always sleepy and sweet. I can't wait to watch them develop.

The Mama is very scared. I'm thankful she's letting us hold her babies - we start socializing them right away. A couple of them hissed at us (a 2 week old kitten hiss is hysterical), but they're already calming down, and they'll be find by later today. My DD was able to touch Mama a little bit, but we're taking it very slow since we don't know anything about her.

I have to say, it is very rewarding to know that these kittens (and Mama) have spent their last cold night outside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter