Getting his Wish, James is Going to WDW- GKTW March 16, 2010

I know lots of people complain about the strollers in the parks but my kids don't have any trouble with them..............and even fall asleep!

IMO they also work well for holding stuff!! Even if you only have one child in a stroller you can get a double with your voucher from GKTW (they'll just ask if you need a single or double..............there are plenty so no need to think you'll be taking from someone else) and it's nice to have a place to put bags, souvenirs etc.

If you want to rent from the other company you will need to arrange for . You can look up their website.............just google it:)

I can see where, coming from Alaska, you will not be making lots of trips to WDW after this. I can only imagine what the airfare is! Our Spring trip was already in place when the Wish trip came to be. Our December one will be an 'anniversary Wish trip"..................but we'll be taking the autotrain:laughing:

My kids love the strollers in the park too!! Brigge will have her wheelchair, and we'll still get a double for the older kids. The 3 of them will squeeze in!! Except, I know Brigitte is going to want to ride in that!! :) So, one of the big kids will end up in her chair!

Your little one will definitely need it. My kids nap in it too, just like Pamelas!!

My kids love the strollers in the park too!! Brigge will have her wheelchair, and we'll still get a double for the older kids. The 3 of them will squeeze in!! Except, I know Brigitte is going to want to ride in that!! :) So, one of the big kids will end up in her chair!

Your little one will definitely need it. My kids nap in it too, just like Pamelas!!

thanks guys, I am deff. going to get the stroller!

Well last night during dinner the Alaska Troopers showed up at our house. Wanting to have some fun for a change, they are helping with James' wish. This is double cool, because our oldest boy Dakota is planning on becoming a Trooper and, even though he is only a Junior in HS, has just started his first college course in Criminal Justice. So the Troopers knock and the the kids are beside themselves. James knew they were coming and asked to have his NG tube removed for it. This is one of those heart wrenching times. James is almost 13, he doesn't want to look sick for these Hero's. So he bravely has us remove the tube. If you have ever done the NG tube you know it's not the taking out, it's the putting in...but James is no dummy, he knows once it's out, it's gotta go back :( So we agree to an NG change. He was so happy being tubeless I think he was hoping they'd be a little late :goodvibes, but nope, they are TROOPERS and arrive on time, with a bag full of goodies for James and his sibs. Dakota is impressed (well as impressed as 17 yr olds get) and actually talks a little, WOW, it's a miracle. So then James asks for a picture and decides he wants one of him STANDING! Ok, well James can walk a bit, but he is usually too weak to do much, and standing isn't very comfortable. So he waits for me to get in position he gets up, drops his blanket to his feet and has me take a picture. Then gets his blankie and lays down again. But at least in his mind, in that picture, he doesn't "Seem" sick.
Here it is:
troopers.jpg

What amazing gentlemen they were. The bag of goodies kept James happy all night, and he slept with the badge.

Other good news? James is getting his perm. feeding tube on the 26th...which means last night was the LAST NG change ever:yay:

One the planning front, so far everything is good EXCEPT we still don't know how we are getting to the airport. It's a three hour drive to Anchorage, and our car only holds 7, not all 8 of us. I called about a rental and they want a $200 drop off fee! :lmao: uh, NO....so then I thought, ok, maybe we can get a Limo, and just suck it up and pay..that's $450....there, which means another $450 back so no sucking it up...I'm stll not sure what we're going to do, but I'm tired of dealing with it today.

Awwwww, I'm welling up here. What a 'trooper' your boy is (no pun intended).

That is a picture to treasure.

Matty had an ng tube very briefly as an infant.............I was against it from the start and ended up pulling it after 48 hours. I can't imagine having to deal with it day in and day out. So glad to hear he'll be getting something more permanent and won't have to deal with that.

YIKES on the cost to get to the airport!!!! MAW isn't helping you with that? It's odd how different they all can be with regards to that especially given the fact that it could almost qualify as a 'hardship'.................you all getting there. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Sorry. I'm no help :rotfl:

How cool the Troopers want to be apart of James trip. :goodvibes I'm sure MAW will have something set up for the ride to the airport. I would call and inquire before you worry to much.

I'm not so sure there is much help...I'm thinking we are going to rent a 15 passenger van, and have me dad drive us up, then he'll have to turn around and drive back, :confused: My dad is such a sweetie he will do it without one complaint, but still I'll feel kinda bad. The Wish people offered to pay for the parking at the lot for our car for the week, and that's all. I'm still working on it though!

How cool that the Troopers stopped by for a special visit! I love the story of the very first "WISH". It was a boy in Phoenix who wanted to be a cop when he grew up but he was probably not going to grow up, so they made him an honorary officer. So cool how it all began. :goodvibes

I don't know what conversation you've already had, but if you are just assuming they won't pay for transport, you could come out and ask them in a nice way such as, "I was just wondering if I need to start making arrangements for the trip to Anchorage or if you guys had something in mind for that?". Doesn't sound like you are accusing or mad, but also let's them keep a surprise if they happen to have one for you.

I don't know what conversation you've already had,.
I talked to the co-ordinator a few days ago and he said they would pay for the parking of our car at the airport...and they are taking us out to dinner that night. I'm still looking into another way, I'm just tired tonight, and don't feel like trying :)

I understand. I have several questions I haven't asked yet, because I'm hoping it will just all work out and I don't want to annoy them. They are probably assuming your personal vehicle holds all 8 of you though....

I understand. I have several questions I haven't asked yet, because I'm hoping it will just all work out and I don't want to annoy them. They are probably assuming your personal vehicle holds all 8 of you though....

I know, isn't it crazy!? I just am so thankfull for everything, I feel like, how dare I ask for one more thing? Everytime they call about something else I cry, I'm sure they think I'm a nut case.
I'm so emotional lately I even hate when people hug me...it's like opening the water gate, wahhhhhh, there I go...:rotfl:honestly, I think MAW could have offered us dinner at Taco Bell and I'd cry.

honestly, I think MAW could have offered us dinner at Taco Bell and I'd cry.

:rotfl:
I know what you mean.

I meant to comment on your question about driving, so I guess I'll just add it here. I can imagine your apprehension about driving but I would give it a try. It would be so nice to have the option to do what you want WHEN you want. It's nice of GKTW to offer to drive you but I'm sure they won't be sitting and waiting by a van in case you want to go anywhere. Why not give it a try and if you just feel totally overwhelmed you could always leave it in the driveway or offer to return it early. I think you'll be okay if you just avoid traffic hour (or on the way to the parks, I guess it would be around opening?) I would get some more opinions on the main threads about timing and then just see if you can tweak your travel times so that they are during less hectic hours. I have a feeling you'll adapt, or the rather the other drivers around you will adapt. ;)

super cool picture! I know all too well about the NG tubes. I also had an NJ tube which took 45 minutes to put in once, ughh. The last nose tube change is AWESOME, lol. I didn't care how sick i looked, I wouldn't have changed that unless I had too, haha. He's much tougher than me. ;)

Amber,

just wanted to say hi! Your family seems so awesome -- great kids (must be some good parenting). We are going on my daughter's wish trip to GKTW on 4/17, so looking forward to reading about your plans and trip! I haven't done much planning (read: almost none yet), but mean to, uh, soon....

I can relate to the NG tube stuff -- my daughter (3) had one in for two months (was on a slow, continuous feed via pump). Not fun, especially when it had to be changed or came out. But a lifesaver, nonetheless. We were oh-so-happy when she got her g-tube placed -- you (and James) will LOVE the convenience of a more permanent feeding tube!

On the driving front, if you think either you or your husband can stomach it at all, I might really try to go for the rental, if I were you. If not, you will be at the mercy of GKTW's shuttle schedule. Just think of how convenient it would be to be able to come and go when you pleased (and make a run to Walmart). Ironically, I can understand your hesitancy to drive. I say ironically, because I grew up in a completely opposite location -- New York City. But because I grew up in NYC and lived there for years as an adult, I NEVER had to drive (used subways, etc, almost exclusively). So when I first started driving again(at age 30+), I was terrified. And am still not quite as comfortable as those who grew up doing it as second nature. But I would bite the bullet and drive in Florida just to have the convenience of coming and going when we need to. Just food for thought.

Well, this is a long post, but I pretty much just wanted to say hi and welcome. I'm not on the boards as much as a lot of others, because I still haven't figured out how to balance life with a medical child and everything else (read: my life is chaos and spinning completely out of control!). But I hope to check in from time to time and see how your planning is going.

Good luck planning!

Hey Amber!
Okay, this might sound crazy, but I would e-mailyour chapter and explain the whole car situation, that you appreciate the offer to pay for parking, but that your car won't hold your whole family and you were wondering if anything else could be worked out as far as transport. I'm the same way that you are as far as hating asking a million questions, but I find it much easier to e-mail..LOL. Just a thought!

As far as the use of a rental car in FL..the drives are relatively short, and they insure them for a reason. I seriously think you all would be fine, but it's not something to stress over.

So sorry to hear the kiddos are sick! We'll be keeping you all in our thoughts that it passes quickly.

I didn't care how sick i looked, I wouldn't have changed that unless I had too, haha. He's much tougher than me. ;)

Alyssa~Yeah, he was regretting the decision once we had to replace it, but it was a quick change, and the last one, hurray!

We are going on my daughter's wish trip to GKTW on 4/17, so looking forward to reading about your plans and trip! I haven't done much planning (read: almost none yet), but mean to, uh, soon....

Hi Ann, congrats on your trip. I'm not doing well with the planning yet either. I went onto GKTW website last night and that helped a little. James is almost 13 and I think the only GKTW entertainment he is interested in in Christmas (hey even teenagers LOVE Christmas)

I can relate to the NG tube stuff -- my daughter had one in for two months (was on a slow, continuous feed via pump). Not fun, especially when it had to be changed or came out. But a lifesaver, nonetheless. We were oh-so-happy when she got her g-tube placed -- you (and James) will LOVE the convenience of a more permanent feeding tube!
James gets his g-tube next Friday...we have to go to Anchorage and I guess he'll have to spend two nights in the hospital, but he usually is in for at least two weeks, so two nights is nothing! I'm a little nervous about the g-tube, we're "use" to the NG, and I don't know th equirks of the g-tube. James is also on a slow continuos feed, he has low volume tolerance, and to give him all his cals it takes about 20 hours. Can I ask two questions? 1. Do you think he'll be feeling pretty yuck from the surgery still after two weeks? 2. Was your daughter able to move feeds faster with the g-tube?

Hey Amber!
Okay, this might sound crazy, but I would e-mailyour chapter and explain the whole car situation, that you appreciate the offer to pay for parking, but that your car won't hold your whole family and you were wondering if anything else could be worked out as far as transport. I'm the same way that you are as far as hating asking a million questions, but I find it much easier to e-mail..

Hi Amanda~I think you're right, I'm just going to email them and let them know...I did talk to my dad today and he said he will drive up one of the kids and all the suitcases, then drop us off and drive home. That's a seven hour round trip for him, but he is o.k with it.

What a beautiful family you have! Thanks for sharing!
I only have two tidbits to offer -
1. You WILL need a stroller for your little one at WDW - there were times when my 12 year old looked like she wanted to kick her two year old cousin out of hers!
2. As far as the tonsils and adenoids, I know that compared with what you deal with every day, it probably seems minor, I just wanted to tell you that noone warned me that the recovery time can be as much as two weeks - I thought that if you weren't aware of that you may want to know - I wish I had when my youngest had hers out.
Anyway - have fun on your trip - I am excited for you all!

Ok so I started planning...this is very tentative and I will add to it, but I think it's a start.

Monday March 15

1:30am Leave for Orlando
5:30am arrive Seattle
8:25 leave Seattle
5:30pm Arrive Orlando
6:30 Get to GKTW
7:45pm Orientation at GKTW
9:30pm Mayor Tuck in?

Tuesday March 16
7am Wake-up
8am Breakfast at GKTW
9am Animal Kingdom till close (6pm)
6:30pm back at GKTW for dinner
7:30 play at GKTW

Wednesday March 17

7am Wake-up
8am Breakfast at GKTW
9am Epcot all day (9pm)
lunch-at Epcot ?? Not sure where yet
dinner-pizza

Thursday March 18

7am Wake-up
8am Breakfast at GKTW
9am Sea Wolrd until close (7pm)
7:30pm Christmas
9:30

Friday March 19

7am Wake-up
8am Breakfast at GKTW
9am WDW until close (11 pm)
lunch-WDW ?? I'm thinking of a charactor meal, any ideas for a teen boy?
dinner-WDW?? probably burgers or pizza

Saturday March 20

7am Wake-up
8am Breakfast at GKTW
9am Universal till close
lunch- US
dinner-US

Sunday March 21(last full day)
7am Wake-up
8am Breakfast at GKTW
9am Beach day? the kids really want to go see the beach
6pm Back to GKTW for our last night

Monday March 22
leave Orlando 8am

What a beautiful family you have! Thanks for sharing!
I only have two tidbits to offer -
1. You WILL need a stroller for your little one at WDW - there were times when my 12 year old looked like she wanted to kick her two year old cousin out of hers!
2. As far as the tonsils and adenoids, I know that compared with what you deal with every day, it probably seems minor, I just wanted to tell you that noone warned me that the recovery time can be as much as two weeks - I thought that if you weren't aware of that you may want to know - I wish I had when my youngest had hers out.

Someone talked about a double stroller rental at WDW, and I think we are going to do that. I have a 10 yr old boy who can be very gloomy when he's forced to walk much, and am hoping he can squeeze in, otherwise, he's been known to hitch a ride with his brother!
As far as the adnoids/tonsils...I think we're going to do it the begining of August, then she'll have a few weeks to recover before school starts.

Tonight has been a rough night for James. He wasn't able to go to school yesterday, (he only goes half days now) and he is in a lot of pain tonight. We tried all the pain meds, but nothing is working. I brought James the laptop to look at pictures of GKTW and WDW to get his mind off the pain. He may post on here tonight of he feels up to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter