getting from MCO to Port??

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by allie1078, Mar 12, 2013.

1. allie1078

allie1078 Mouseketeer

I am taking my kids on our first ever cruise this summer, and have a lot of questions.

My first at most important is what is the best and cheapest way to get from MCO to Port canaveral? if this has been asked already please just point me in the right direction. or any insight would be great

I have 4 kids and myself. we are flying in to orlando the morning of the cruise. Options I have looked into are disney transportaion, car services, taxi, and rental car for the afternoon and drive myself. We will need to stop for lunch at some point, because of the timing of the flight .

thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. KPetty725

KPetty725 DIS Veteran

I've always taken the DCL bus. Very easy to find and pretty quick. Plus the kids (and you!) get to watch Disney cartoons the whole way. It's all very exciting. The service is great and the buses fill up quickly. I've never waited more than 20 minutes from the time we've gotten on the bus to the time we rolled out. The drive is about 45-55 minutes, depending on traffic.

As for needing lunch, pack a granola bar to hold off the kids. As soon as you get on the ship you'll be directed to either Topsiders or Parrot Cay for your first buffet lunch. Then the food gorging begins! :)

4. lilroo442

lilroo442 Earning My Ears

Transportation back to the airport has been an issue for us as well.

There are 7 of us and after pricing things we decided disney transportation was not for us. At $35 each that would be $245 and we can find a shuttle for cheaper. (Currently looking at Happy Limo, Southern Elegance, and Cocoa Beach Shuttle.) Cocoa Beach shuttle is the cheapest of all of those listed.

If I were you I would look at prices for different shuttles and see if they are more or less than Disney transportation for 5 of you.

5. ECH37

ECH37 Earning My Ears

We are renting a car, $50 total after paying a drop off fee. The disney bus transport is pricey ($35 a person) but can be convenient as they handle your luggage and the kids may enjoy the video they play during the ride. Depending on what time your flight lands you may not have much time for lunch of your cruise leaves that same morning.

6. kcx2njdisney

kcx2njdisney Earning My Ears

I know it would cost more, but since It is your first cruise, I would recommend DCL buses. My kids loved getting into the "disney cruise lines" bus. Watching the video on the bus of the ship and then the cartoons. The excitement for the cruise just grew and the time flew by. Don't think the kids realized how long the drive was. Kids thought bus was part of the vacation!

7. WaltD4Me

WaltD4Me <font color=royalblue>PS...I tried asking for wate

I know what you mean, there was 11 of us and the Disney bus would have been almost $800 for us round trip! We used Sunshine Limo and they were great. We had an awesome driver and the rate was less than half of what we would have paid using Disney. I actually splurged and got a Cadillac Escalade Limo as a surprise for the ride to the port and it was still cheaper than Disney

8. lilroo442

lilroo442 Earning My Ears

Oh, I had not heard of Sunshine Limo, I'll have to look them up! Thanks!

9. Weedy

Weedy DIS Veteran

Did you book your airfair through Disney? If not I would suggest flying in the night before. Too many things can go wrong and if your plane gets delayed the ship will not wait for you and you will have to pay to fly to the next port to meet up with the ship.

Lots of people fly in the night before and stay at the airport Hyatt and then drive/bus/lemo over the next day.

10. Siblingts

Siblingts Earning My Ears

We went on the Disney Dream in January. There were 8 of us and we rented a Budget rental car mini van one way to the port and then back to the airport. It was perfect on the way there, we arrived at the Budget rental facility and boarded their shuttle almost immediately to get to the port, we even had a car seat that they let us store so we didn't have to take it on the boat since we were also renting another van to take us back when we got off the boat.
    On the way back it was a different story. There were 4 boats coming back at the same time and it took us almost an hour to get the shuttle and then 2 hours at the facility to get a car.. Three hours in total. All of those that had taken the Disney shuttle would have already been back to Orlando by the time we even sat in our car. So it was for sure cheaper, but if time is an issue and you are trying to catch a flight I would not recommend it.

11. lizzyb

lizzyb DIS Veteran

We are renting a car from budget and driving ourselves.

12. allie1078

allie1078 Mouseketeer

thanks everyone for the ideas and thoughts. I already have our flight booked, it is a direct flight coming in around 1030 so I thought I would be fine. The shuttles sound like the best idea for me. We have rode the disney buses before when going to wdw. the kids what something different. And I am trying to do this trip on a budget so I want to save anywhere I can.