Getting boarding passes and dropping off luggage on last day, do you tip them?

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by Jillpie, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Jillpie

Jillpie Can you package some Main St. music and send it to

So for the last few years, I have the same small friendly argument with my DH. On the last day, we always bring our own luggage down to the "airport guys", sorry their name escapes me. I say, that because we brought our luggage down ourselves and all they have to do is tag it, tipping is not required. He always tips them. What do you do?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DannysMom

DannysMom DIS Veteran

My DH usually handles the tipping too. If a few bucks makes sure that your stuff makes it to the airport in time to make your flight, and your stuff gets home with you, I'd say it is worth it. But we are in the NY/NJ area and if we do curbside checkin at the airport, we tip those guys too. Resort check in is even more convenient than curbside check in, so why wouldn't I tip them?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

4. luckyman_apd

luckyman_apd DIS Veteran

Personally I tend to tip everyone like that. I don't that it's "required" but I agree....if a few bucks helps my stuff get there. I am usually a cheap person. I admit it. I try to cut costs everywhere I can......to the point of putting car seats in a bag designed for airtravel and checking them, rather than pay a rental car company $30 for a car seat. But for personal service, what's a few bucks.

Technically they should treat your stuff the same whether tipped or not, but people notice and appreciate the little things like a tip. That's always been my opinion on it, and certainly doesn't imply others should do the same.

5. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

You treat them as though they are curbside checkin people at the airport. Which means you tip them.

Bringing it down is irrelevant, IMO. We had a Bell guy bring ours down, so we tipped him for doing that, then tipped the RAC people for what they did. Heck, anyone who picked up that 49.5 lb bag deserved a tip, LOL. (although with United "status" we could have had 70 lb bags, which sounds terrifying! it was the RAC guy who reminded us of that, too, when we were amazed at the 49.5 lb bag)

6. bwvBound

bwvBound DVC SSR & other timeshare

We do the same.

7. DVCismyhappyplace

DVCismyhappyplace Mouseketeer

We tip the same as we would for curbside check in at the airport.

8. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

Since I want to seemly luggage again, I tip. Just like I tip the skycaps.

9. jekjones1558

jekjones1558 Always happy at Disney

This is curbside service except it is more conveniently located. The BAGS employees who staff the luggage check in work in a job that relies on tips. Yes, tips are appropriate.

10. Jillpie

Jillpie Can you package some Main St. music and send it to

Ok thanks everyone, just shhhh don't tell my husband he's right;), darned if he's always right:hyper:.

11. edk35

edk35 DIS Veteran

We tip too. :thumbsup2

12. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

They usually say "this is just like curbside check-in", which is code for "we expect a tip".

13. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

Same here.

14. miwdwfan

miwdwfan Michigan DVC Fan

Yep, the convenience is well worth the couple bucks to take care of the bags and to get the boarding passes.

15. LSchrow

LSchrow <font color=green>We're eating brussel sprouts & a

i didn't know that...thankfully, we've always tipped them. and they have always been exceedingly pleasant.
    a lot of cash flows on check-out day: mousekeeping, bell services - with extra for our heavy owners locker, RAC, then bell services again when they retrieve our carry-ons :rolleyes:

16. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

RAC (remote airline checkin) employees actually combine daily tips. Evidently, rather than keeping what is handed to you, it goes in a jar to be split at the end of the shift. That was nice to hear since I always feel badly tipping just one person there when they both help me out...one imputs info, the other tags and lugs bags.
    It was a long time before people starting tipping these employees. Now? If there is anyone behind me in line, I make sure that my tipping doesn't go un-noticed!!

17. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

At OKW there is a jar and I put the $5 I would have put in for curbside...I only have 2 bags. If I had more bags I would tip more $.

18. Brian Noble

Brian Noble His Curmudgeonly Highness

They are just like the skycaps at airport curb-side checkin. A tip is IMO appropriate.