Getting an upgrade...what's the etiquette?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by moopdog, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Tigger's ally

Tigger's ally Segway test dummy

Somebody would ask to be moved just because a snake was in the room? :confused3 Cowards, cmon dudes, it's Florida.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. DznyCrzy11

DznyCrzy11 "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference wh

Now that's what I call great service!!!!

Wow, that's awesome!!!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II

4. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

In some cases, they intentionally overbook the lowest price category (standard). If they are having problems filling the higher priced (savannah view), they will overbook the lower priced one and plan to offer upgrades. I think that's why you hear of frequent upgrades at AKL.

5. 1stvisit0909

1stvisit0909 DIS Veteran

We were upgraded first before the trip. I got an email from disney offering a free upgrade to OKW from value and thought it was a hoax. But, it was disney and it was for real. So then my documents were modified and resent with OKW. We were rebooked to a 1 br room villa. When we got there, they checked us in and didn't say anything, and when we got to our room it was a 2 bd room. I nearly fainted. They told us it was "disney magic". We asked for nothing and did online checkin. I think the original upgrade was bc it was FD and they were booking up the values, and wanted more space. Ok by me. A coworker of mine went the week before, and she got the email but never called.

6. DznyCrzy11

DznyCrzy11 "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference wh

As other people have said, never ask for an upgrade. I have never personally been upgraded but when my cousin stayed at AKL a few years ago they were upgraded from standard view to savannah view. They were told all the standard rooms were occupied, even though they had already booked and paid for their room in advance.

Sent from my GalaxyS II

7. DeborahA

DeborahA DIS Veteran

Never had an upgrade in over 25 trips, but we have received some pixie dust. On several anniversary trips, balloons and treats in our room after a day in the parks. Several cards and balloons in room on arrival for birthdays. We have stayed in all level of resorts. We always book the room that we can afford and have a great time. I have read on the boards of many wonderful upgrades but I really think in the volume of rooms booked on a daily basis, they are rare.

8. awoogala

awoogala Mouseketeer

we have never been upgraded, but I think it has a lot to do with time of year. Since most upgrades seem to be due to overbooking, I would guess traveling in September or January is not going to work in our favor! ;-)

9. Maleficent53

Maleficent53 Have fun storming the castle...

We received an upgrade at the Contemporary years ago.... we were staying there only one night pre-convention and had booked the cheapest room available. When we checked in they had upgraded us to floor 14 - concierge level, a room with wall to wall windows looking out over the lake, I believe they called it a junior suite. Very nice!

Also, I second the notion that you do NOT ask for the upgrade. I work at an airline; if I have a first class seat available it goes to the person I select, not the person who has asked for it!

10. aprestwich

aprestwich Mouseketeer

We were upgraded when checking into the Yacht Club last year from a Standard Room to one of the Turret Suites! Now, the circumstances were that it was 7:00pm and our room wasn't ready yet. I asked and offered to pay for an upgrade so that we could get into a room. The CM made a call to their central reservations and came back with a free upgrade to the suite.

Reasons for the upgrade? I was nice about it and offered to pay for a simple upgrade, we come to Disney and stay A LOT and probably to make us happy in a somewhat awkward situation. We were also only staying two nights.

Bottom line is if you really want an upgrade, be prepared to pay for it. You can always say no, it's too much, thanks for the offer and we'll stick with the original room. My guess as with most hotels, as long as the room is available they will do it for free to keep the client happy.

Andrew

11. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

In all my 30+ stays at WDW, we've only been offered two upgrades. One was during YOMD...dh checked into YC (for business) and he was upgraded to concierge!! I was staying at BWV, across the lake with my two dd's..he had to stay at YC due to business/convention. But since our youngest dd had arrived with him, she got concierge as well....even though she moved over to be with me for her short stay.
    Then, when we checked into the CR, the day Hurricane Charley arrived, we found we had been given a lake view, vs the parking lot view we had booked. I believe that was our TA's doing though.
    Other than those two times??? Never. We do hear about many upgrades happening due to Disney overbooking the values. THen, they can offer SSR to some since there will be plenty of people that stay at the values. And some think that it's a terrific upgrade. BUT, many don't. They booked Pop for a reason..they don't want to be at SSR. So, they politely decline the offer.

But in all reality? Upgrades just don't happen all that often..and never if you ask for one. It usually is something that benefits Disney.

12. elaw

elaw DIS Veteran

During our last trip we got upgraded ... we werent really asking for an upgrade but actually asking for a specific room/view. It was earlier this year at the WL ... we asked for a specific room (it was noted in our reservations) and it was not available upon check-in so the CM asked us if the Jr. Suite right next to it and one floor down with the same view would be acceptable and of course we said yes.

13. tlseege

tlseege Mouseketeer

Just in September we got our entire group upgraded to Royal Guest rooms at POR. Why... because I simply asked if they had any available. He moved us all over, free of charge.

14. nikki7680

nikki7680 Mouseketeer

I was told recently by a CM that they actually encourage asking for upgrades. She told me they would rather see an empty room get used than it just sit there. I figure it doesn't hurt to politely ask if there are any rooms available and how much it would be to upgrade. If they come back and the price is too high, then you can politely decline. But I am guessing that in the end, they will probably give it to you anyway, depending on your attitude. I would think most of the CM's like to pass along some magic to people. My guess is your attitude will help with them wanting, or not wanting, to pass that magic along to you!

15. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

While I sort of understand what you're saying, I have to wonder. If I checkin at POR, and ask if there are any upgrades available, you are saying that the CM say it's better to fill an empty room?? But, the room I would have been in is now empty as well. So, there are still going to be the same number of empty rooms. Believe me...a lot of the CMs really don't much care about passing along magic these days. So, sure go ahead and ask. All they can do is say nothing is available.

16. scjo68

scjo68 DIS Veteran

I would need an upgrade (or at least a new room) and possibly a tranquilizer!
    :rotfl2:

17. VAfamily1998

VAfamily1998 DIS Veteran

That, and also wouldn't many "upgraded" rooms take more in resources/employee hours? I mean, if a couple with 2 children is upgraded from a standard room (2 Queen beds) to the 2 bedroom Presidential suite with more beds (more sheets to wash) more bathrooms (so more bathmats to wash, more to clean) a separate living room, dining area, etc....that's going to take a lot longer for housekeeping to clean than the original standard room...why would they upgrade someone to a room like that just so it wouldn't be empty?

18. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

Yes, that is true for a hotel. Basically most of the rooms are the same.

I would say if a front person at a resort who upgraded someone to another room that was more work (just to, as you say, "keep the client happy") would be met with alot of angst from management. Why waste resources spreading people out; a desk clerk has no concept of stocks and the bottom line.

They do it to keep the staff more efficient, which means they have more profits by consolidating people into one area during slow times. They also do it solely for marketing purposes, such as cruises, where they hook you into booking up one more category. Been there many times and it worked.

19. larryz

larryz A few of my favorite turrets... DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Guest satisfaction?

20. Polydweller

Polydweller DIS Veteran

How is the guest not satisfied with their room if they haven't seen it? You upgrade for guest satisfaction if there is something physically wrong with the room or if the hotel thinks the person is likely to return and buy that room. So yes, good will is a criteria but there are always other business criteria at work at the same time. Remember the hotel is a business and as such e earthing is done for business reasons.

The best way to get a free upgrade, and this is with my hotelier hat on, is to ask for a paid upgrade. Hotels want to give you that good will feeling by surprising you with the free upgrade. If you don't get one you can always turn it down when you hear the price.

The worst way to get a free one is to Sk for a free one. So sure, ask for a paid upgrade, that is always ok but avoid asking for free.

21. gwynne

gwynne Be always blooming

Just pondering this...I have to believe that CM's see a lot of folks who (with great cheer and enthusiasm ;) ) ask about upgrades. I don't do it, because I think it would be annoying. You know, here comes another one, asking me to give them something they weren't will to pay for. Some guest do book the room they want, and say a happy thank you as they check in. No wheeling and dealing...I'm not convinced the CM was giving the poster a few posts up (#33)
    the straight scoop about asking for one. Maybe he/she was having a bad day and decided to pass along a little disinformation. :scratchin

Now, on the other hand...I think it's fine to walk up and say, is it possible for me to pay for an upgrade today? Is there availability for my dates?
    Where is Rusty Scupper when we need him???? Rusty? What say you?