Getting a DAS still a problem at Epcot?

Speakers4

Earning My Ears
I thought I remember reading that when DAS was new that people were having problems getting the DAS card at Epcot compared to other parks. I tried to search for anything more recent and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if this is still the case? (the issue is non mobility related) I am trying to plan a schedule and Epcot works out to be the best for our first park day but not if we are going to have problems there. Thanks

I thought I remember reading that when DAS was new that people were having problems getting the DAS card at Epcot compared to other parks. I tried to search for anything more recent and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if this is still the case? (the issue is non mobility related) I am trying to plan a schedule and Epcot works out to be the best for our first park day but not if we are going to have problems there. Thanks

We heard the same thing when we went to DW JUNE 2014. That was just around the time they made the changes. We went through the back entrance to epcot and had the easiest time we have ever had getting our DAS pass. We had no wait at all. Our need were also non mobility related. We did enter around 5pm so that might be why there was no line.

I haven't heard any issues with Epcot for a long time.

I think when the DAS first came out it was a combo of Epcot being more strict and people requesting the DAS that weren't eligible for one.

We have gotten and renewed DAS a re times at Epcot with no issues.
I haven't heard any issues with Epcot for a long time.

I think when the DAS first came out it was a combo of Epcot being more strict and people requesting the DAS that weren't eligible for one.
I would generally agree with that.
Many people who were reporting issues at Epcot were using mobility devices and expected to get DAS based on needing an ECV or wheelchair in lines.
Some had previously gotten a GAC and thought they needed that and would need DAS just to use the mobility device in line. With no other line-related needs, they were not issued a DAS.
Some who reported problems went back and re-explained their other line related needs and were able to get DAS.

Epcot has always been the easiest place to get them for us. We got 2 in less than 10 minutes the last time we were there. We just briefly explained that we had always gotten the GAC for our boys & they immediately gave us the DAS. We probably would've been out in 5 minutes but they were having trouble getting the tablet to take pictures that day.

No problem at all in Epcot, even had a CM who went above and beyond for me. I was there with the kids alone one day and asked if there was anyway he could start us off with a wait time for Soarin' so I would not have to trek across the park. I said normally my husband or I would go and get the return and not usually ask for this accommodation. The CM said no problem and gave me a one time use FP to use anytime on any ride. I was so thankful!!!

We also had no trouble there late last year. We had early FP+, entered thru the front entrance, and the park was slow at opening, so we went over and got one for DS later in the day. I had his old one from DL, which may have made it easier. They did retake the photo, etc, but did not ask detailed questions. They usually do ask the same detailed questions, however, because they want to make sure the guest still has the same qualifying conditions.

We got a DAS at DHS for our youngest son last month and it went very smoothly. I prepared a short written summary of needs and relevant accommodations based on his school IEP and evaluation reports from therapists. My parents joined us later in the week, and we knew we would need to get a new card because with them, our party size exceeded 6.

We also had a positive experience with the Epcot guest services. When my parents joined us, we went to Epcot to change the party size on the card. I brought my parents along with me to guest relations while my husband and kids were on Mission Space. For some reason, I thought producing our two extra party members would be sufficient - I can understand why that doesn't necessarily make sense. The Epcot CM advised that they would need to see all seven of us at the same time. So we returned with all seven about 20 minutes later, and the line was quite lengthy at that time. I waited in line and others waited near the benches in guest relations, where our son started exhibiting disability-related behaviors. A CM with an ipad came over to us and was able to reissue the card quickly with a "roll call" of all party members. They were very helpful.

In the end, we never used the card for our party of seven. By the time we used our three FP+ and went to our lunch ADR, he was ready for a break from the park. Point is, I thought the Epcot CMs were appropriately clear regarding the rules and very friendly, understanding and efficient in their implementation.

Thank you everyone for the responses, I am glad to hear that people have had success getting the card at Epcot.

I have a funny story about getting one at Epcot. We were there last week and I lost our DAS - I don't know if it fell out of my pocket but it was definitely gone. I went to Guest Relations at the front of the park to ask for a new one. The man helping me was French and I must have confused him because his response was to ask me what about my park visit made me believe I needed one. I looked at him perplexed and then I realized he had misunderstood me and thought I was saying that I needed one for myself. (LOL, at that point I was so exhausted that maybe... ). When I explained that it was for my DS-8 and pointed him out to the CM, it was no problem at all. Kind of funny though and makes me question how many seemingly fully functioning adults try to get them...

I have a funny story about getting one at Epcot. We were there last week and I lost our DAS - I don't know if it fell out of my pocket but it was definitely gone. I went to Guest Relations at the front of the park to ask for a new one. The man helping me was French and I must have confused him because his response was to ask me what about my park visit made me believe I needed one. I looked at him perplexed and then I realized he had misunderstood me and thought I was saying that I needed one for myself. (LOL, at that point I was so exhausted that maybe... ). When I explained that it was for my DS-8 and pointed him out to the CM, it was no problem at all. Kind of funny though and makes me question how many seemingly fully functioning adults try to get them...
well, many people who APPEAR to be "fully functioning adults" actually benefit from the DAS. not al disabilities are readiliy apparent. and it is not just for children.
the reason the CM was asking is because they want to know what your NEEDS are. I don't think they thought you were an adult trying to "cheat the system" I think they were assuming you or a member of your family had sme sort of special needs and wanted to discuss in what way Diseny could help you with that. and, if a DAS card would help issue you one.

my husband may be a "seemingly functioning adult" but due to his vision loss, the DAS really helps him out.

that is actually the appropriate question for the CMs at Guest Relations to ask.
They need to know what the person's needs are.
It doesn't matter if it is an adult or a child.
It doesn't even matter whether the person has visible disabilities or not. There are people with very visible conditions who might not need DAS and others with very invisible conditions who do.
The important thing is that the guest (or member of the group speaking for the guest) be able to explain what their needs are related to waiting in the regular line

I agree that it was absolutely an appropriate question. I was actually making fun of myself and what I was trying to convey was that I had told him that the one I had lost was for my DS-8 but I think I was probably so exhausted that I was not speaking clearly and it was probably hard for him to understand me (my fault) so he just assumed that it was for me. At that point my fitbit was saying I had walked over 12 miles that day (thank you world show case) and all while pushing a double stroller so having someone from my hometown understand me probably would have been a challenge, much less some poor CM who was only trying to help me. Sorry for any confusion and he truly was EXTREMELY helpful and handled everything perfectly.
Also I thought putting the word "seemingly" in there would have let everyone know that I absolutely was not questioning adults getting them. I know from first hand experience with adults and children that a good majority of disabilities are not readily apparent and I absolutely apologize if I offended anyone. It was not my intention at all! Truly sorry and again was only making fun of my own lack of clarity at the time...

I just want to thank everyone for their responses again. Getting the DAS at Epcot was no problem at all and the cast member that helped us was extremely nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!