Get Off The Ship - we are running out of towel animals! Update 10/25 Day 31

Looking forward to your report I am impressed to see that we are on page 5 already with only 1/4 of a day written and 32 more to come. This report when done could be a novel. However What better novel than one about a disney and cruising.

Life has been so very hectic... but I wanted to come here and say hello. I need to go back and catch up. I hope to do that before I leave next week. :goodvibes

I could deal with a never ending buffet :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2

Can't wait for the rest!

I'm hoping there will be many gratuitous pictures of krispy kreme donuts (I can't eat them without getting a stomach ache but your pictures always make them look so good!). :rotfl:

More coming soon! And without giving too much away, there WILL be several pics of KK! :lmao:

I'm in!!!! :wave2: I made it on the first 5 pages!!!!! :cool1: Can't wait!!!!!

So glad to have you here!
You are here in time, more coming up soon. :thumbsup2

Oh my gosh, hit by lightening!!!

I find it kind of cool...since it didn't cause any real problems. What a story to tell!

What an exciting start to your trip of firsts! I love that even veterans can still have lots of firsts.

I know it sounds horrible to be hit by lightning, but apart from the initial strike it was not that bad at all. ;)

Yuki, we had so many firsts, it was unbelievable, and it was an awesome trip. :goodvibes

Finally Yeah I am here to read this magical trip report that i had the pleasure with the family to enjoy a bit with you and Tom , except the goodbyes are getting REALLY harder !!!!
i will say to both of you
THANK YOU
it was such a magical time sharing all our firsts with you and Tom :love:from me and the Family:goodvibes

Ah, Jeff! How wonderful that you have signed on, at the right moment. I am soon getting to the point where we are meeting some amazing friends on our first day at WDW. ;)
We cannot wait to repeat it and see you guys again. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to your report I am impressed to see that we are on page 5 already with only 1/4 of a day written and 32 more to come. This report when done could be a novel. However What better novel than one about a disney and cruising.

Welcome!
It amazes me too, that we have already made it to page 5 and we have not even left Europe yet. :lmao:
I am glad you enjoy reading along. There is lots of fun to report about. :goodvibes

Life has been so very hectic... but I wanted to come here and say hello. I need to go back and catch up. I hope to do that before I leave next week. :goodvibes

NO problem, Ann! You have a trip coming up so soon. I cannot wait to hear all about your and Steve's race! :thumbsup2

summer13a_zps065e2f24.jpg

Day 1, August 7

That’s NOT the way we wanted to start off our vacation! - Part 2

We were in no hurry to get anywhere, as we had a 7 hour layover in Frankfurt anyway, so once we had gotten off the plane we took a little stroll through the airport before we headed for the lounge again, to settle down for the time being.
We still had 6 hours until our next flight was supposed to take off, so once we had shown our tickets and were granted access we headed upstairs and were blown away. The lounge was really beautiful and large, and some areas were pretty full. It took us a few seconds to locate two chairs next to each other and we walked over and sat down.

Before we did anything else Tom wanted to try if we had free internet, so we set up the netbook and tried – worked! Score! We would be able to check our email and surf the web while waiting. Once that was solved we took trips to the bathroom and then went to check out the buffet. The breakfast on board had been nice, but it had been about two hours and there were yum things offered at the lounge buffet, there were soups, salads, spreads, veggies and “Frankfurter”, a hot dog like sausage. We both chose the same, the Frankfurter, Tom had his in

a hot dog bun, complete with pickled gerkins, mustard and ketchup, while I chose to eat it the European way.

I got some Diet Coke to go with it, while Tom got

some beer. And since there were so many delicious looking things on the buffet, we even went back for seconds. Tom tried

the glass noodle salad, some spreads and some veggies, while I tried something sweet,

creamy Semolina pudding topped with stewed plums. Might not sound so nice, but it was indeed very good and we both loved our choices.
Once we were done we moved over to a little area where there were numerous power outlets, where I plugged in my netbook and surfed the web, while Tom was charging his phone, while reading on his pad.
Time had gone by quickly and we decided to have one more drink,

a coffee from an automated coffee station, complete with wafer biscuit to go with it. It was around 11.30 when we left the lounge and walked downstairs, had a look into some of the stores, bought some scales that go up to 75 lbs and finally hit the duty free store.
Tom picked up a bottle of Whiskey and then we finally headed to our departure gate. It was pretty full there but we found a seat and waited. Our boarding time came and went and nothing moved, NO plane in sight. About half an hour before we were supposed to take off there was the dreaded announcement, our departure was delayed. Another hour’s wait.
We decided not to wait it out at the gate, but to wait in the lounge in a comfy chair. Upon returning to the lounge we both picked up a beverage, found a chair and watched a little TV.
An hour later we were still checking the monitor and times had not changed, so we headed downstairs to the gate again. We had just made it there when we heard the next announcement. The plane had a major technical defect and our 2pm departure was now delayed until 4.30. And not just delayed until then, but the next “time announcement” was supposed to be at 4.30. Quick thought about what to do and after asking if any news would be announced in the business lounge we were on our way back there.

To be continued ............

I'm glad you had that wonderful lounge to hang out in, but it is NEVER fun when a flight gets delayed. Bummer!

I hope the next announcement is a good one! :thumbsup2

Oh Karin what a dissappointment to be delayed soooo long !!! The flight delay was what gave me the Title to my Universal Family trip !! Tom did what Judy did , had a beer !!!:rotfl2:I was interested in the European way of eating a hot dog!!!!

Food looks good, drinks look better.

I hate delays...I hope it wasn't too much past 4:30 that you finally took off.

Wow, they lay out quite a spread in the Lufthansa lounge! Every United lounge I've been in seems to serve the same thing (and that's from coast to coast!). Wrapped cheese slices, some fruit, wrapped crackers, chocolate covered raisins and I lose track from there.
When they say the next update is at a given time, I just cringe. Not a good sign. Hope things pick up from there!

Barb

Nice to have the Biz class!:thumbsup2 especially if you have a 7 hr layover. :rolleyes: I can't believe your plane was hit by lightening, and it seems it was no big deal! :eek: Looking forward to more!popcorn::

thank haven for magical business class , and some good food while waiting but all those hours was Urgh!!! love the way Tom made the Frank i have to try it that way next time ? and the semolina dessert looked sweet .and all the other food was delicous !!! :wizard:
It was a magical time when you get to our time with you guys if you want i can post a few pictures if you would like me too ?

Excited to read your report. I've enjoyed many of your past report over the years.

I'm glad you had that wonderful lounge to hang out in, but it is NEVER fun when a flight gets delayed. Bummer!

I hope the next announcement is a good one! :thumbsup2

It was nice to have the lounge to pass time. We just didn't expect to have the "pleasure" to stay there THAT long. :rotfl2:

Oh Karin what a dissappointment to be delayed soooo long !!! The flight delay was what gave me the Title to my Universal Family trip !! Tom did what Judy did , had a beer !!!:rotfl2:I was interested in the European way of eating a hot dog!!!!

Rosie, Frankfurt is notorious for having delays, so a short delay is nothing out of the ordinary. And remember, I said - SHORT delay. :lmao:
And it's not eating the hot dog per se, as this is not a European thing. Us Austrians eat those kinds of sausages, by picking them up, dipping them into mustard and take a bite. We would not eat them stuffed in a roll or bun. ;)

Food looks good, drinks look better.

I hate delays...I hope it wasn't too much past 4:30 that you finally took off.

The food was really nice and they kept refilling the stations and bringing out different things all the time. We were really lucky to have been able to go business class this summer as it really helped to pass the time.

As I mentioned to Rosie, Frankfurt is a huge hub in Europe and very often there will be delays. It's just that after 7 hours of a layover, more delays were no fun. ;)

Wow, they lay out quite a spread in the Lufthansa lounge! Every United lounge I've been in seems to serve the same thing (and that's from coast to coast!). Wrapped cheese slices, some fruit, wrapped crackers, chocolate covered raisins and I lose track from there.
When they say the next update is at a given time, I just cringe. Not a good sign. Hope things pick up from there!

Barb

We were impressed with the offerings as well. Especially since we had the pleasure to go to the United lounge (they are Lufthansa partners) on our flight home. Not much to choose from there. :lmao:
The ... "our next announcement will be" .... announcement, rang my alarm bells as well. But I was still hoping for a short(er) delay. ;)

Nice to have the Biz class!:thumbsup2 especially if you have a 7 hr layover. :rolleyes: I can't believe your plane was hit by lightening, and it seems it was no big deal! :eek: Looking forward to more!popcorn::

The 7 hour layover was the only way we could get business class. I had bought economy class tickets, then got an offer from Lufthansa to upgrade to business. First I thought there must be a mistake, as with the offer I paid a little more for the TWO of us than they usually charge for ONE person. The only thing we had to do is change the first flight from 11am to 6am. We gladly changed those flights, knowing full well that we would have the lounge to pass time in. ;)
After the lightning hit we were told that the airplane was like a Faraday's cage and we were save all the time. :thumbsup2
More coming up in a few minutes. I just uploaded some more pics to PB. ;)

thank haven for magical business class , and some good food while waiting but all those hours was Urgh!!! love the way Tom made the Frank i have to try it that way next time ? and the semolina dessert looked sweet .and all the other food was delicous !!! :wizard:
It was a magical time when you get to our time with you guys if you want i can post a few pictures if you would like me too ?

We were glad we had the lounge to sit and have internet and loads of food. ;)
It was awesome spending the time with you guys! I started typing day 2 yesterday and once I get there it would be wonderful, if you fill in some pics as well. :thumbsup2

Hi Karin !!Waiting for the next update!!:coffee:

Next update, coming right up! :goodvibes

Excited to read your report. I've enjoyed many of your past report over the years.

Welcome to my newest report! :goodvibes
It's great to hear that you enjoyed some of my other trip reports. You must be a very patient person, as it usually takes me AGES to finish one. :lmao:

Subbing! Can't wait for another report.

Welcome!
Great to know that you will be joining us for another great trip! :goodvibes

Day 1, August 7

That’s NOT the way we wanted to start off our vacation! - Part 3

Quick thought about what to do and after asking if any news would be announced in the business lounge we were on our way back there. There were several of us heading back from the “Orlando” gate to the lounge and we all told the receptionist there that they would call and let them know about what was happening. They were quite puzzled by the announcement, but promised to let us know once they knew anything.
So, what do you do if you know you have another hour and a half to wait? Well, if there is a nice buffet, you EAT! Tom went and got us some drinks,

more beer for him and more Diet Coke for me, then he went and got himself

2 “Frankfurter” and some rolls and mustard, while I tried the

new cream cheese spead, some tomatoes and a roll as well. We sat and munched and were talking about our bad flight karma that day, but time started to move slow after the regular 7 hour layover.
After a while Tom went back and got

more spread, cucumber slices and tomato slices for us to nibble on. Around 4.30 every one of us “Orlando travellers” made the trip to the board several times to see if there were any news. They had completely taken off the time on the screen and it only showed delayed.
Several of us started talking, there was a nice young girl who we later found out was seriously scared of flying and I had just told her about our flight coming in, being hit by lightning. Didn’t help her with her fears. :scared:
The other was a frequent traveller who then told us that he hoped we would get into Orlando at a decent time, as he had been delayed on an Orlando flight once before and the immigration officers had already left and they had to wait for another two hours for them to come back.
So, we were all sitting on pins and needles. When the screen didn’t show a departure time we took turns walking to the reception desk to ask. After a while we were told that the next “announcement” would be made at 6pm. Bored we got some

crackers, more drinks,

some chips and I picked up a

piece of cake and some fruit yoghurt. We all talked a bit more and then that one guy told us that we should be eligible for some compensation. He explained the rules and we all googled the law where that was written down. At that time we could ask for a €250,- compensation. Not bad.
But more than that I was wondering if we would EVER get that vacation on the road. Shortly before 6pm a Lufthansa employee went around the lounge handing out ice-cream sandwich to the people who had been sitting in the lounge all day.

Yip, I forgot to take a photo of it. When there was no announcement at 6pm, shortly AFTER 6pm a few of us made the trek to reception again, where they picked up the phone, had a short conversation and then explained that we should grab another beverage as they had put departure at “around” 7pm, which meant that by then we would have spent 12 hours at the airport. :crazy2:

We all got new drinks and grabbed a few more chips and chatted and waited some more. Around 7 we all moved closer to reception, where we were told to “grab a seat” as they had just heard that we were scheduled to leave at 8.15pm.

Now the guy who had told us about compensation was really stunned they would go over the 6 hour limit, as it would push our compensation to 600€. We all googled our options and so had something to do while we waited. And believe it or not at 7.30pm we were told that we could now head down to the gate! :banana:
There was a massive crowd and EVERYONE was let in at once. It took us a few minutes to finally make it on the plane, but then we were directed towards the front of the plane and got into our seats. We got comfortable and soon enough we were told that we had been cleared and were now pushing back. It was PAST 8pm and over 13 hours at Frankfurt airport when the plane FINALLY rolled out and took off.

Day 1, August 7

That’s NOT the way we wanted to start off our vacation! - Part 4

It was PAST 8pm and over 13 hours at Frankfurt airport when the plane FINALLY rolled out and took off.
The only thing that still bothered us was that we had a 10 hour flight and a 6 hour time change ahead of us, so that would put us into MCO at midnight!

Our minds were soon taken off worrying by being offered

Mimosas once the fasten seat belt signs were off. We made ourselves familiar with the remote control to adjust our seats

and were soon handed hot/cold towels

to refresh ourselves before dinner. Then we were handed the menus and soon after dinner service began. First off there was a flight attendant covering the little tables in front of us with a white table cloth

and then we were served our appetizers.

Tom had chosen the

King Prawn Confit with Avocado and Bean Salad, while I wanted to give the

Tea flavoured smoked Beef Tart, Pineapple and Bell Pepper Relish and Cilantro Ginger Mayonnaise a try and both were served with a

Mixed Summer Salad with Tomato and Tarragon dressing. It was agreed on that both were delicious. And after we had finished our starters it did not take long until our main courses were served.
We had chosen some

German Riesling to go with our dinner and when the main course was served I was already at my second glass. Tom’s pick for dinner was the

Tenderloin of Beef and braised Beef Cheek, Chocolate Chili Sauce, Kohlrabi, Carrots and Polenta, which not only looked delicious, it tasted awesome as well. I ordered the

Sea Bass in Caribbean Onion Sauce with Cilantro accompanied by Snow Peas, Potato and Banana Mash flavoured with Curry. The flight attendant had asked if I cared for “more” sauce, and not knowing how much was already on it I had asked for a little more. Well, I better had not, as the first bite I took of the fish drenched in sauce, nearly killed the taste of the fish. But once I had moved most of the sauce to the side it was a delicious entrée.
It was good that the portions were not too large, as snacking all day had not left much room for dinner. The flight attendant insisted on dessert though. So I got the

Trilogy of Blue, Brine Cheese and Rock Cheese with Apricot Mustard Chutney, which was just perfect! Tom had gone for the

Variation of Passion Fruit and loved it as well. We were happy to finally have conquered dinner, when we were handed even more yummy goodies, a box of

Belgian Chocolates. We both didn’t feel like them right now, so into my bag they went.
After lunch we watched a little TV and once they dimmed the lights in the cabin and the blinds had been drawn shut we adjusted our seats to become beds, threw the blanket over and went right off to sleep.
I woke up now and then to change my position, but drifted off to sleep fairly easily again. Time went by quickly on this flight and when they turned the light back on and I checked my screen we were about an hour and a half away from Orlando.
They handed out hot/cold cloth towels again, we put our seats upright and soon enough table clothes were put onto the little tables in front of us again. There was no choice for this second hot meal of the trip, but it was very nice anyway.

We were served

Vegetable Ginger Stew with Breast of Poulard and a

Mixed Leaf Salad with Carrots and Red Radish accompanied by Cranberry Vinaigrette, followed by

Cacao and Canache Brownie with white Sesame and Pineapple Ragout. Everything was really tasty and a fun “midnight snack”.

Day 1, August 7

That’s NOT the way we wanted to start off our vacation! - Part 5

Everything was really tasty and a fun “midnight snack”. When we had finished our dinner we were under an hour away from Orlando

and it was time to freshen up again and in no time we were landing in Orlando at 10 minutes past midnight.
The plane pulled up to the terminal and it did not take long until we were allowed to get off the plane. It was good to know that first and business class were the ones to leave first and get in line for immigration.
And as soon as we got off the plane we heard some friendly voices welcoming us to US soil and telling us that they had been waiting all evening for us. We could not believe it, but nearly every immigration booth was open and we did not have to queue up at all. The officers were VERY friendly and within a few minutes we were waiting for our luggage.
I had declared that we were bringing some food into the country and once we had our luggage and headed towards customs I was sure we would be sent to the secondary scanning point, but after explaining that we carried some sweets we were just waved through with a smile.
The next thing we feared was a LONG line for the rental car. But since we had made it off the plane and through immigration quickly we arrived at the Dollar booth, which was at the far end of the hall, with only two people ahead of us.
Well, it took the two employees AGES to make those people happy and I was glad that we had a prepaid voucher and the procedure went much faster. It slowed down when we both had to sign about 20 times on a little screen without properly seeing what it was we were signing.
Took me some time to figure out every page. Then paperwork in hand we pushed our trolley over to the Dollar car park. There we were handed a key, loaded our stuff into the car, fixed the GPS and off we went. We had arrived, finally, and were on our way to our home for the next 2 ½ nights, Old Key West.
A few toll booths later we drove under that well known sign and were soon pulling up to the Old Key West security booth. We showed a driver’s licence and our reservation and heard those wonderful words, “Welcome Home”. A minute later we parked at the Hospitality House, headed over to check in and thanks to online check in were handed our folder, told our room number and that there was something waiting for us at bell services.
We have an Owner’s Locker and it had been delivered the day before, so we were not surprised at all. Check in done, key card in hand we headed to the car, got in and pulled up in front of bell services to pick up our box. I told the Cast Member that we needed to pick up something, he got our name and to our HUGE surprise he returned with a brown paper bag.

And after checking the tag, yip, it was indeed for us. I peeked into the bag and there was a sailor Mickey, one that I remembered from the Macy’s parade, so I knew this must be a present from our friend Jeff and his family! Pixie dust!! The magic had started!
We told the Cast Member that there must be an Owner’s Locker box as well and he went back again and brought it out. We loaded it onto the back seat and went to find our room. Both our requests, that I had made when doing the online check in 60 days prior were met and we had been placed on Turtle Pond Road AND on a higher floor.
Our building only had two floors, so we were on the top floor. We were both curious about our room as this was the first time we had rented a studio. So once we had parked our car we grabbed our carry ons and headed upstairs. And were surprised at how spacious the studio actually was.

We had only stayed at a studio at Bay Lake Tower and it was tiny compared to Old Key West. We were happy and after a quick bathroom stop we headed downstairs to the car and unloaded the rest of our stuff.
It was past 2am in the morning when we had everything up in the room. The only thing we still wanted was something to drink. So we grabbed a bunch of 1 Dollar bills and headed over to the bus stop to grab a few bottles of Diet Coke. Tom took the ice-bucket and we got some ice as well and within a few minutes we were back in our room enjoying an ice-cold beverage. We were both really tired and after taking one last photo

of the alarm clock in the room we went to bed at 2.45am.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter