Get Off The Ship - we are running out of towel animals! Update 10/25 Day 31

Glad the room was ready for you and the drink looked delicious.

The view is gorgeous.

All these coladas are making me thirsty. LOL

Food looked good.

I wonder if the Sarabeth’s is the same as we have here in the city.

The omelet looked good.

I want to try that jet pack water thingy. I saw one in Aruba when I was there and should have tried it.

My husband has been inspired by Toms finding of beers in cruise ports :) he was excited to hear he can bring them on the ship! We can't wait to try our first disney cruise (booked a week ago on a VGT rate) I have learned so much from reports like yours :flower3: thans again for all the detail!

Bad news AND good news!!!

We are back! And we come with a bit of news .........

Let me get to the BAD news first.
I had to push our resisting summer cruises to 2016!!! Well, that's not really bad news, but we were really looking forward to this year's summer vacation. Unfortunately there have been a few hickups along the way that pushed us to move the cruises and while we are still holding our breath to at least be able to fly to the US (the flight is booked and is non changeable and non refundable) the chances are pretty slim. Like VERY slim. So I have already made plans for spending this summer in Europe and so far a week long trip to Italy is already booked (as well as one that starts in close to three weeks) and a 10 day trip to the Cinque Terre, which we loved so much during our cruise last summer.

On to the GOOD news!

First off - the Magic REDEEMED herself, BIG time!!!!!!!!!!! Stay tuned for a TR to start soon and many magical surprises.
Tom's birthday trip went off without a hitch and again we were sprinkled with A LOT of Pixie dust and we are completely back in love with Disney - guess I will hold on to my DVC after all. :rotfl2:

Summer 2016 is all set! We will fly out in early August and stay a few days at WDW, then head to Port Canaveral for a back to back on the Dream. :thumbsup2 Get off on the 26th and right back onto the Fantasy on the 27th for an Eastern Caribbean. The Fantasy Eastern is a new OBB, the other two were pushed from this summer.
Once we get off the Fantasy we will be left with about a week of WDW time again. Should be fun and at least something to count down to again! :goodvibes

Stay tuned for an update/sneak peak of Tom's birthday cruise tomorrow. :jumping1:

Caught back up. Sarabeth's looked delicous!

And yay on the Magic!

Jill in CO

Hi Karin Welcome Home! I'm glad you had a great time and Disney is not spoiled for you after all. Sounds like your 2015 trips will still be fabululous, and a change too. Yeah for 2016! I am working on a Fantasy 2016 too! Trying to coordinate dates with relatives in California, but who knows? We may sail together yet!

Welcome home!

Sorry that this years plans have been dashed. Boo to the nonrefundable flights. That's a bummer.

But yay to bringing back the magic. :love: I didn't know you were even toying with the idea of selling DVC. Glad that's not happening.

Your 2016 plans sound amazing!

And I can't wait to read all about Tom's birthday cruise! :cake:

Well, that's not really bad news, but we were really looking forward to this year's summer vacation. Unfortunately there have been a few hickups along the way that pushed us to move the cruises and while we are still holding our breath to at least be able to fly to the US (the flight is booked and is non changeable and non refundable) the chances are pretty slim. Like VERY slim. So I have already made plans for spending this summer in Europe and so far a week long trip to Italy is already booked (as well as one that starts in close to three weeks) and a 10 day trip to the Cinque Terre, which we loved so much during our cruise last summer.
I'm so sorry to hear about having to push your 2015 trips, Karin. I hope everything is okay. :hug:

Your Europe plans sound amazing though - I hope you will do a TR or two despite the non-Disney nature of the trips. (I love reading the non-Disney reports - I learn so much and get ideas of other places I want to visit.)

First off - the Magic REDEEMED herself, BIG time!!!!!!!!!!! Stay tuned for a TR to start soon and many magical surprises.
Tom's birthday trip went off without a hitch and again we were sprinkled with A LOT of Pixie dust and we are completely back in love with Disney - guess I will hold on to my DVC after all. :rotfl2:
Hurray! I can't tell you how happy I am to read this! :woohoo:

Summer 2016 is all set! We will fly out in early August and stay a few days at WDW, then head to Port Canaveral for a back to back on the Dream. :thumbsup2 Get off on the 26th and right back onto the Fantasy on the 27th for an Eastern Caribbean. The Fantasy Eastern is a new OBB, the other two were pushed from this summer.
Once we get off the Fantasy we will be left with about a week of WDW time again. Should be fun and at least something to count down to again! :goodvibes
Wow - 2016 is going to be AMAZING!!! party:

Wow this is very different and I bet it tastes amazing!

It is a very unique juice and it tastes amazing. I always have it when we dine at Sarabeth's.

Mmm, this is something I would definitely order. I love goat cheese!

Their omelettes are to die for. And I wish we could take some of their jam home. It is so good. Their combinations of fruit sometimes make me wonder, but it always works. :thumbsup2

This looks so freaky and cool at the same time. Not sure i'd want to try it though!

It looked so awesome how they did it. But I would be way too scared to try something like that - AND I can always blame my fear on my age. :rotfl2:

Your morning at Key West just sounds wonderfully relaxing!! And that omlet looks like heaven!

We just love spending time at Key West and to start your day at Sarabeth's makes it extra special. :goodvibes The restaurant is so tiny, but then their food is just so good.

Whoops, can't figure out how to reply with this new format. Meant to say we are looking at the 8/22 sailing. I love the Magic, and I was a little concerned the Fantasy was too big and crowded, but that is not the impression I get from your report. Hopefully we will get to meet you this summer!

I am pretty sure you are going to love the Fantasy. We been on the Magic twice now and even though our last experience was way better, we still love the newer and bigger ships. Unfortunately we had to cancel our summer plans, so won't be sailing on the Fantasy this summer, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that our paths will cross sometime in the future.

Hi Karin!

Wow! That meal looks amazing!!!! YUM!

Awwww - the view from your balcony. Heavenly…..

Sarabeth’s looks right up my alley. What a neat find!

What a perfectly relaxing vacation day! I love it.

Food at the Southernmost Beach Cafe is always mouthwatering. You really need to try for yourself when you visit Key West some day.

The view ...... well, we just love that hotel and we love that room and that balcony. I could spend all day out there ........ um, wait ....... we need some food too. :rotfl2:

Key West is always so relaxing - I guess that is why we just love to return time and time again.

I wonder if the Sarabeth’s is the same as we have here in the city.
The omelet looked good.
I want to try that jet pack water thingy. I saw one in Aruba when I was there and should have tried it.

Yes, the Sarabeth in KW is part of the Sarabeth chain. Have you tried it? What is so unique about the one in KW is that the restaurant is actually in a church. I think the menus are not 100% the same everywhere, but they are similar. Please try it if you can.

Wow! You want to try that jet pack? You are a lot braver than I would be. :laughing: No way would I get on that thing.

My husband has been inspired by Toms finding of beers in cruise ports :) he was excited to hear he can bring them on the ship! We can't wait to try our first disney cruise (booked a week ago on a VGT rate) I have learned so much from reports like yours :flower3: thans again for all the detail!

Great to know that my TR could be of help. Your husband will not be disappointed - there are lots of nice beers to be found all around. And thankfully DCL lets you bring your own drinks on board. Helps with keeping the "memory" of a port alive a little longer.

Caught back up. Sarabeth's looked delicous!

And yay on the Magic!

Jill in CO

Yeah for being caught up. I know that it sometimes is really hard work to do. ;)
Happy to report that the Magic was a much better experience this time around, even though she still looks sad and needs a makeover. (Extreme Makeover - Cruiseship Edition :rotfl2:

Hi Karin Welcome Home! I'm glad you had a great time and Disney is not spoiled for you after all. Sounds like your 2015 trips will still be fabululous, and a change too. Yeah for 2016! I am working on a Fantasy 2016 too! Trying to coordinate dates with relatives in California, but who knows? We may sail together yet!

Tammie, we were really happy to see the magic reappear. It was a short trip, but really worth the long flight.

We were pretty sad about having to cancel our summer cruise plans, but there is nothing we can do about it. :sad2:
But it's good that we have three cruises in the summer of 2016 to look forward to. Funnily enough it came out cheaper to do a back to back Dream and a Fantasy cruise instead of a Fantasy back to back. Gives us a day to enjoy the port area too! ::yes::

Welcome home!

Sorry that this years plans have been dashed. Boo to the nonrefundable flights. That's a bummer.

But yay to bringing back the magic. :love: I didn't know you were even toying with the idea of selling DVC. Glad that's not happening.

Your 2016 plans sound amazing!

And I can't wait to read all about Tom's birthday cruise! :cake:

Thank you! The time went by just far too fast.

Well, the flights are the only thing that really hurts. I guess we can live with not going to the US or on a cruise, but the lost flights are a real bummer.

The experience on the Magic was a much better one this time. She still will not become my favourite ship, but we did enjoy our stay and had quite a few "surprises". ;) And we really got into the Disney magic groove right from the start of our vacation, so my plans of selling our DVC went right out the window. Guess we will hold onto it for a while again. I am working on starting the birthday cruise thread right now. Hope I can start soon. :thumbsup2

I'm so sorry to hear about having to push your 2015 trips, Karin. I hope everything is okay. :hug:

Your Europe plans sound amazing though - I hope you will do a TR or two despite the non-Disney nature of the trips. (I love reading the non-Disney reports - I learn so much and get ideas of other places I want to visit.)

Hurray! I can't tell you how happy I am to read this! :woohoo:

Wow - 2016 is going to be AMAZING!!! party:

Nothing too serious keeping us from going through with our summer plans. I will tell you all about it once everything in a little while. It was just that we were pretty sure when we went on the Birthday trip that the summer trip would go through as well and it did not. As I mentioned before, it's the non refundable flights which are bothering me but we will survive. ;)

Our Europe plans are coming together nicely though. I am currently on sickleave (bronchitis), my second week already and I am still coughing like mad. So, since I don't have anything else to do, I am playing around with hotels an routes and we have come up with quite the nice tour for the summer. Not to forget that we leave for Italy on Friday next week for a 4 day trip.
And the Disney magic has gripped us again. I vowed last summer not to return to DLP for a long time, but am at the moment thinking of squeezing in a trip. :rotfl2:

And there is still 2016 to plan. :bounce:

Gute Besserung Karin!

I think you would be pleasantly surprised with DLP as they are moving along with the refurbishments. I am hoping for a winter trip again (January hotel prices are the only halfway affordable season, even with a discount). And in 2016 @nodnol and I are planning on running our first Disney race there!!

Make sure to get at least the taxes refunded from your flights. Have you talked to Lufthansa if they might be willing to let you change your dates? Even if the website says no, if you talk to someone, they might be able to work some magic if they want to.

Am looking forward to read about your better experience on the Magic! And about the summer plans. Any chance you are going to be traveling towards the North from you?

Don't worry about getting me the coconut thingies!! Thank you so much for getting them for me in the first place! I am happy to wait until you are getting a chance for an excursion to Passau!

summer13a_zps065e2f24.jpg

Day 24, August 30

A sunset to remember - Part 2

We stayed in the water for about half an hour, then sat out in the sun for some time before we decided that we needed to get out of the sun, since we had not brought any sunscreen to the pool.
Back in the room we had a shower and then sat out on the balcony for a bit more. Around 4pm we headed out to our next point of interest. I had read a lot about Fort Zachery and that was where we were going. It was a short drive

IMG_1319_zpsprdgpboj.jpg

IMG_1320_zpshvrpb9qe.jpg

and soon we were at the ranger station and paying for our visit.

DSC_0501_zpssxdipwdu.jpg

We drove to the main parking area, then headed over to the remnants of the fort.

IMG_1321_zpsbszzv41x.jpg

DSC_0504_zpsyw51gur7.jpg

DSC_0508_zpseio3kxbv.jpg

DSC_0523_zpsgggpcjli.jpg

DSC_0534_zpsw0r4l185.jpg

DSC_0542_zpsfhfdufde.jpg

IMG_1322_zpso3hvwcr6.jpg

IMG_1323_zpsn1pfg70f.jpg

It was pretty interesting to explore and read about the history of the fort. There were lots of different rooms to see, some of them partly roped off because of the age of the fort.

IMG_1324_zpsndwrmvnp.jpg

IMG_1325_zpsa0431feu.jpg

IMG_1327_zps1gns7btc.jpg

IMG_1328_zpsc7dp9pq7.jpg

IMG_1330_zpsq5mabftl.jpg

IMG_1331_zpsdivntxng.jpg

IMG_1332_zpswefa7dni.jpg

IMG_1333_zpsjei7nrc8.jpg

IMG_1334_zpsmjqnalho.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsnb11of3r.jpg

To be continued ............

That fort looks really cool. I am totally into touring that kind of stuff when I travel. That's an impressive line of cannons.

Enjoyed the update!

Interesting piece of history. Pretty cool that you were able to hear about it. Are you interested in history? I live to visit old ruins and cemeteries and musuems. You got some pretty artistic shots!

Gute Besserung Karin!

Thank you! Now that I am on my second week of sickleave, I start to feel a bit better.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised with DLP as they are moving along with the refurbishments. I am hoping for a winter trip again (January hotel prices are the only halfway affordable season, even with a discount). And in 2016 @nodnol and I are planning on running our first Disney race there!!

We had some unpleasant experiences at DLP last summer, so I vowed not to be back for a "few years". Now with the Disney magic back on I might be easily convinced to go back MUCH sooner than expected. ;)

Make sure to get at least the taxes refunded from your flights. Have you talked to Lufthansa if they might be willing to let you change your dates? Even if the website says no, if you talk to someone, they might be able to work some magic if they want to.

Well, it might not hurt talking to them, even though I doubt they will barge. But thanks for the hint. I will definitely try. I did actually look up the taxes we would get back and it is a laugh as they will not refund "international taxes" which make about 2/3 of the taxes anyway. Guess we will have to wait and see what comes out of it.

Am looking forward to read about your better experience on the Magic! And about the summer plans. Any chance you are going to be traveling towards the North from you?

There were some huge "surprises" on the Magic and even though we did not have any odor issues this time - those surprises made our cruise. It was a great time.
Summer plans are coming together nicely. We will drive around Italy for 11 days, starting at Lake Garda, then heading to Portofino, on to Manarola (Cinque Terre), next is Ravenna and we end it all with a bit of "relax time" in Jesolo.
We will end my school holiday with a week in Lignano. Fortunately Upper Austria starts back to school late, so most tourists should have left the place. :laughing:

And since I have 9 weeks off we might even travel North. I heard Nuremberg is pretty beautiful. ;)

Don't worry about getting me the coconut thingies!! Thank you so much for getting them for me in the first place! I am happy to wait until you are getting a chance for an excursion to Passau!

I will send them out as soon as I am back to work - you need a little Disney snack to get you in the mood for your vacation. :thumbsup2

That fort looks really cool. I am totally into touring that kind of stuff when I travel. That's an impressive line of cannons.

Enjoyed the update!

Visiting Fort Zachary was really interesting. We had planned on doing it on a previous visit and never got around to do it, so I was happy that we made it that day. There are more pictures of the Fort to come. Ran out of space yesterday and was just too tired to go on.

Interesting piece of history. Pretty cool that you were able to hear about it. Are you interested in history? I live to visit old ruins and cemeteries and musuems. You got some pretty artistic shots!

It was really interesting. And yes, we are interested in history - growing up in a place that is as full of history as the heart of Europe is, you kind of have to. ;)

Thank you! Now that I am on my second week of sickleave, I start to feel a bit better.

We had some unpleasant experiences at DLP last summer, so I vowed not to be back for a "few years". Now with the Disney magic back on I might be easily convinced to go back MUCH sooner than expected. ;)

Well, it might not hurt talking to them, even though I doubt they will barge. But thanks for the hint. I will definitely try. I did actually look up the taxes we would get back and it is a laugh as they will not refund "international taxes" which make about 2/3 of the taxes anyway. Guess we will have to wait and see what comes out of it.

There were some huge "surprises" on the Magic and even though we did not have any odor issues this time - those surprises made our cruise. It was a great time.
Summer plans are coming together nicely. We will drive around Italy for 11 days, starting at Lake Garda, then heading to Portofino, on to Manarola (Cinque Terre), next is Ravenna and we end it all with a bit of "relax time" in Jesolo.
We will end my school holiday with a week in Lignano. Fortunately Upper Austria starts back to school late, so most tourists should have left the place. :laughing:

And since I have 9 weeks off we might even travel North. I heard Nuremberg is pretty beautiful. ;)

I will send them out as soon as I am back to work - you need a little Disney snack to get you in the mood for your vacation. :thumbsup2

Visiting Fort Zachary was really interesting. We had planned on doing it on a previous visit and never got around to do it, so I was happy that we made it that day. There are more pictures of the Fort to come. Ran out of space yesterday and was just too tired to go on.

It was really interesting. And yes, we are interested in history - growing up in a place that is as full of history as the heart of Europe is, you kind of have to. ;)

I meant to say I Like to visit, not "Live" - autocorrect again. Ha! I was thinking of all the history you have there. You would have to live in a box not to be a part of it. :) Glad you are feeling better.

summer13a_zps065e2f24.jpg

Day 24, August 30

A sunset to remember - Part 3

There were lots of different rooms to see, some of them partly roped off because of the age of the fort.

IMG_1337_zpstazath54.jpg

IMG_1338_zps1xaz1hsa.jpg

IMG_1340_zpsgfziobc4.jpg

IMG_1339_zpsi09l8k6w.jpg

IMG_1341_zpsjv3vsjax.jpg

Once we had explored enough we drove on to the beach area close to the fort. We were soon parked at the correct lot and headed over to the beach.

DSC_0544_zpsuvwdhx2w.jpg

DSC_0556_zps9tzxss05.jpg

IMG_1342_zpsrgbtcqoq.jpg

IMG_1343_zpsj6eyyhef.jpg

It really was a beautiful area and there were quite some people enjoying the beach, while others were sitting at the picnic tables, or taking a stroll through the wooded area.

IMG_1344_zpsk7ixodwm.jpg

IMG_1345_zpsclnrfbs8.jpg

IMG_1346_zpsl58utjkz.jpg

IMG_1347_zpsiffze2ck.jpg

DSC_0565_zpsymdauroq.jpg

We walked along the paths for a bit, then returned to our car and drove around with the car top down for a bit.

IMG_1349_zpstwlh8l2h.jpg

IMG_1350_zpsux1c1por.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsnrigvlxc.jpg

IMG_1352_zpsld5qbwsc.jpg

IMG_1353_zpsx9oq4ea4.jpg

We cruised along a beach road and suddenly I realized that we were going towards a restaurant we had wanted to try, Salute, at the beach. Tom found a spot to park in close to the restaurant and we walked right up there.

DSC_0568_zpswkfeyteh.jpg

They were offering inside and outside seating, but it was pretty hot and there were fans inside, so we chose inside, a table right at the open window with a great view of the beach.

DSC_0570_zpsxjpz5slv.jpg

We had to wait for a few minutes until they changed over to dinner.

To be continued ............

Last edited:
Wow, you have picked up speed again with this trip report!! Loved reading about your day in Key West! Sounds like a perfect combination of sightseeing and good food!

What a great day in Key West. The food sounds amazing as does the sunset!

Jill in CO

I meant to say I Like to visit, not "Live" - autocorrect again. Ha! I was thinking of all the history you have there. You would have to live in a box not to be a part of it. :) Glad you are feeling better.

Autocorrect ......:rotfl2: makes for some fun reading. ;)
And yes, it looks like I recover from sleeping all day long and slowly my strength is coming back. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter