Get Off The Ship - we are running out of towel animals! Update 03/17 Day 24

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by dizneeat, Sep 16, 2013.

1. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

It definitely was! :thumbsup2
    And it was so exciting too, as we headed into a brand new itinerary! :woohoo:

It was, Jen, it was! :cloud9:

Yes, we put that veranda to good use! :rotfl2:
    That's the beauty of longer cruises, you have time to kick back and enjoy your surrounding and not have to rush from event to event. :thumbsup2

He had such a sweet tooth (guess he shared it with others) and why not give him an extra treat. ;)

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

Thanks for joining in and all your praise. I am trying my best given that English is not my first language. ;)

You are craving Eggs Benedict??????? Hm, I wonder why that could be. :rotfl2:

Jen is right, you do not HAVE TO tip extra at any other sit down meals. BUT ............
    When we went back to back a few times on the Dream we got to know our servers very well and were let in on a few ins and outs. I will not repeat them all, but I can tell you that those servers work really hard and Disney pays them $50 a week!!! The rest they make in tips.
    These servers work 16 hour days and go above and beyond for you. Tom and I both have worked in tipped jobs (Tom still does, here mailmen get tips at Christmas and I worked in one of Austria's most famous hotels) and we believe that these servers who are usually not our servers deserve a little extra as well. So if we receive good service we tip the dining room server and assistant server a few extra bucks, every time we eat at a TS restaurant. You do not need to do that, but to see their eyes light up makes it so worth wile .... and you will be greeted a lot more as they DO remember you very well, even a year or so later! :rotfl2:
    Oh, and as Jen mentioned, you can top up the tip for your server team - we do that too. ;)

There is FAR too much yummy food on those ships, and someone has to take it upon themselves to help them not to let it go to waste. :rotfl2:

It was such a great start to our second cruise, which was really great as this time we made some really great friends. :thumbsup2

4. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

[​IMG]

Day 12, August 18

Day at sea means lots of food - Part 1

We got up shortly after 7am, and after getting ready we spent a little time out on the veranda.
    It was very peaceful to sit out there and watch the waves. Around 8.30 we headed downstairs to have breakfast at the Royal Court again. We were quickly seated and the server was right on hand to take our drinks orders and offer some breakfast pastries. Drinks were ordered, but we both passed on the pastries. It didn’t take long and our drinks and first courses were served. As always Tom had chosen the

[​IMG]

Swiss Bircher Muesli, Muesli with raisins, shredded apples and yogurt and I got the

[​IMG]

Mornin' Tug Boat, a fresh blend of strawberries, bananas, almonds, raisin granola and low-fat yogurt. Both were a lot better than the week before and we enjoyed them a lot. And as soon as we had cleared our bowls, our mains were served. This time I had ordered another favourite of mine, the

[​IMG]

French Toast and Pineapple Stack, layers of French toast and grilled pineapple, topped with strawberry coulis, maple glaze and fruit salad. Very yummy! Tom had ordered the

[​IMG]

Express, scrambled eggs, grilled ham, bacon, sausage. and hash browns, which he had asked to be exchanged for white toast. Needless to say that we truly loved our breakfast. Once we had finished it, we tipped the servers and before we headed back to our stateroom we took another stroll through the shops and I finally picked up some more items for my Chamilia bracelet.
    Happy, well at least I was happy we got back to our stateroom to find Raj outside. He had already been able to clean up our stateroom and thanked us for the sweets we had left for him on the bed. We rested for a while, sat out on the veranda for a while and then finally got changed to walk down to the Tube to go to the Captain’s reception, held for Gold and Platinum Castaway Cay members.
    We got our stickers and went inside, found a nice table at one side and were greated by one of the Cast Members we knew from the Tequila tasting a few days before.

[​IMG]

She headed over to greet us with a hug and to then serve us some snacks to go with our Champagne. I had some

[​IMG]

grapes and a peace of pineapple, a prociutto and asperagus canapé and a brie one. Tom got

[​IMG]

some pieces of melon and the same two canapés. We sat and enjoyed our nibbles,

[​IMG]

watched the room fill up and then noticed two faces we knew from a previous cruise.
    Leslie and her mother Sandy had just sat down and started to nibble on their snacks, but once they had finished them they came over to sit with us. Quite a few officers came by and it was nice to have a native speaker sitting at the table as well.
    And during the breaks, when we there were no officers nearby, we had a lot to catch up on and did so, even while trying to listen to Commodore Tom giving his little speech.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all enjoyed the

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cookies we were served while listening and time seemed to fly by and the meet and greet was over.
    On our way out Leslie wanted to have a word with the cruise director and while we were all standing there chatting with him, someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was Karin. And so we met some of the nicest cruise buddies.
    Laura, her husband Richard and their two daughters were from Cornwall and we had been chatting a lot before the cruise. They even were on the same deck as we were and it was so nice to finally meet them in person. Leslie and her mother said their goodbyes, but the rest of us stayed behind chatting. It was fun to finally see one of the cast members come by handing out Mickey rice crispy treats and since we were the last guests in the room they urged us to take more than one. So Tom and I picked up two each and Laura and her family did the same.
    But the server still offered more and more and I guess the girls each picked up about 5 or 6 each. We realized that they wanted to clean the area and get it ready for other events so we finally made our way back to our staterooms. And since we were on the same floor we made a pit stop in their stateroom as Laura had gotten us some presents for organizing the Fish Extender. It was past midday when we finally said our goodbyes and headed back to our stateroom.

To be continued ............

5. michelle9343

michelle9343 DIS Veteran

I agree it is so EXCITING when the Documents come in :cool1::cool1:

6. Linda67

Linda67 Has a Masters in Margaritas

Your breakfast looks yummy Karin and the Castaway Club reception looks like it was a lot of fun. Especially as you got to meet your cruise buddies :)

7. annmarieda

annmarieda DIS Veteran

I hope you had a wonderful time!

I am so glad this was not actually what was owed. I think I would have freaked out too!! What an adventure with this delivery. Glad you didn't miss them again... what a pain that is to miss deliveries.

Yay!!! Sounds like he got it approved so you are all set for this trip. :cool1:

Too bad the experiences is a tad hectic... but at least the food looked edible.

The whole off and then on again is just so cool. I bet having the ship almost to yourself is like a pre rope drop breakfast in the park. So special and quiet.

I love the pictures of the empty ship.

Yay!!! Very cool to get a fast pass for lunch there. I have not been impressed by the food or service there, but the atmosphere can not be beat!

:cool1::cool1:

:cool1: disboard friends can be so much fun!!!

I imagine you get asked that a lot, eh? ;) You are famous. :goodvibes

That cappuccino looks so good as do the pastries!

not having ever been to a presentation, I can't know for sure... but seems like it would be a fun thing to do with a mimosa in hand.

Sometimes decorating can be so fun and make your space feel more like "home"

What a yummy looking drink!

Oh my! dinner looks and sounds like it was amazing!

I can totally see why you loved your breakfast. Start to finish looks amazing!

See... famous. :goodvibes

8. perfectmatch300

perfectmatch300 DIS Veteran

I have a serious case of cruise envy. We drove to Port Canaveral today to wave Bon Voyage to some friends who sailed away on their first ever cruise - aboard the Disney Dream! I can't even begin to tell you how badly I wish we were sailing with them! I figured a good dose of a Karin and Tom trip report would help me get our of my cruise envy and you did not disappoint. Your reporting and pictures always make me feel like I'm right there.
    I did send my friends a link to your turnaround day pictures from this trip so they could get an idea of what the terminal looked like. They loved being able to see the terminal and the Fantasy atrium not jammed full of people.
    It was great to see our friends sail away aboard the Dream. They were so excited!
    I think I need to head over to your DLP report now. I expect I have some catching up to do there.

9. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

I had a grapefruit and banana for breakfast today....and now my tummy is rumbling at what I see in your pictures! :rotfl:
    How nice to run into so many people. That really does make it fun.

10. englishrose47

englishrose47 DIS Veteran

You are getting soooooooooo close Karin !!!!

11. KatMark

KatMark DIS Veteran

Well, it's a good thing I ate lunch BEFORE I came to try to catch up.

Everything looks so yummy.

But the thing that I want right now is one of those cocktails and to be sitting on the deck of a ship or a pool and relishing some warmth...something we haven't had in over two months. :sad:

12. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

I cannot believe it is almost time to cruise again - I wish we would be on the same cruise, but one day we will be on the same one again. :thumbsup2

As always cruise breakfasts (apart from the last one) are very yummy and we love to go to the CC reception. It is a fun event and meeting Laura and her family and Leslie and her mum were great too! :goodvibes

I am glad that our trip report was able to help with your cruise withdrawel. ;) :lmao:
    Did your friends enjoy their trip on the Dream? It is such a beautiful ship - we cannot wait to go back - well, WAIT, we will be back in a little over two weeks. :goodvibes

13. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

Jen, there is a rule, NEVER visit any of my TRs on an empty stomach! :lmao:

We were so lucky to meet so many awesome people on that cruise! We really loved it.

Only a little over two weeks left, Rosie! We cannot wait! :love:

Good thinking about havin lunch before reading. ;)

Kathy, we have not had the cold wave you had, but it has been snowing last week and I am so sick of it. I cannot wait to head for Florida for a little sunshine. :goodvibes

14. Toria

Toria It all started with a mouse

I have spent the last 2 hours catching up on your TR. I have really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest.

15. perfectmatch300

Our friends are due back tomorrow, well, actually later today since it is after midnight here. I can't wait to hear how they liked it. We have to wait until September for our turn to sail the Dream again. We did have a nice "port excursion" going down to Port Canaveral to watch their sailaway from Fishlips!

I hope it warms up a bit here before you arrive. It's been a bit chilly lately, at least for us. I really have no reason to complain though after seeing the problems they are having in so many other places. I was just listening to a report saying that some children and their teachers were spending their second night in their schools because the weather was too bad to get them home safely! I can't inagine being in that situation.

16. michelle9343

michelle9343 DIS Veteran

17. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

I am trying to post more pretty soon. We are close to half term here and things at school get pretty hectic, not to mention that I enrolled in two all day courses. :scared1:
    But I hope to be able to get a bit done this weekend. :thumbsup2

I did follow the weather reports for Florida and it looked quite chilly, but I am SURE it is warmer than it is here. ;)
    It has been very cold with lots of snow lately. :sad2:

I can't believe we are missing each other in two weeks. But at least we are planning on going back for 4 weeks in August of 2015, so plenty of time to plan and plenty of time there to meet again. :goodvibes

18. JCinMN

JCinMN Mouseketeer

Guten tag! (Gruss Gott? - sorry no umlaut on my computer)

I am enjoying your reviews, especially the photos of the Italian pizza and gelato (and Venice in the cooler weather). Some of my favorite things!!

Can't wait for more. Bon voyage to you shortly!

19. perfectmatch300

:sunny:Checked the weather report, next 5 days should be in the low 80's! That's why we moved to central FL!:sunny:

Our friends LOVED the Dream! Somehow I knew that was going to happen! I was a bit surprised that they didn't do an OBB - until I remembered that their son is getting married this spring and that takes priority in their travel plans. Besides, they got a great deal for this cruise they just took with FL resident rates. I expect they will start looking for another FL resident rate once the dust from the wedding all settles.

We love our "Port Excursions" to PC to watch sailaways. On nice days we do the beach at Jetty Park, too. Cooler days, or days like our friends sailaway when we get a later start we head to Fishlips for dinner and a lot of waving. :cool1:

Of course, I would certainly prefer to be aboard one of the gorgeous Disney ships during sailaway! :teeth:

20. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

Hi!
    I am happy you enjoy them! :goodvibes
    If you hang out here long enough there should be some more interesting photos to be seen. ;)

And thank you for your "Bon voyage" wishes. I can't believe we will already be travelling two weeks from today. :cloud9:

Hm, I had a feeling your friends would like the Dream. What's not to like about that beautiful ship? ;)
    And with the new restrictions for OBB it's not as easy as it used to be to have a booking and just push it forward. But since they seem to be Florida residents they always have those nice last minute discounts to fall back on. :thumbsup2

Oh, and 80° F sounds heavenly - we are below freezing here! :lmao:

21. dizneeat

dizneeat DIS Veteran

[​IMG]

Day 12, August 18

Day at sea means lots of food - Part 2

It was past midday when we finally said our goodbyes and headed back to our stateroom. The Fish Extender was filled with lots of fun goodies,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

which we took inside to have a closer look at. But we didn’t really have a lot of time to play with them, as we had another appointment at 12.30. So we quickly freshened up and soon left our stateroom again to head to Ooh La La for the Champagne tasting we had signed up for. When we arrived the room was already half full and there were some single seats left and just a few seats together, but we manage to get seats together and waited for the presentation to begin.

[​IMG]

First we were told a little bit of history about Champagne and then the tasting began.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first one we tried was the Imperial Moet & Chandon,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next was a Taittinger,

[​IMG]

followed by a taste of a Bollinger,

[​IMG]

then a rose Taittinger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

again. And with all that we were served some Panna Cotta with raspberry coulis

[​IMG]

on top to clean our palate and to even enhance the taste of some champagnes. The last one we got to try was my absolute favourite, the Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a champagne served on ice. After the presentation the Cast Members stayed for a while to answer any questions, but after about 40 minutes it was over and we decided that, as tipsy as I had already gotten I needed a bite to eat.
    And so, since the Royal Court was still open we headed there for some lunch. We were quickly led to a table and asked for our choice of drinks and handed a menu. It did not take very long until the server came by to give recommendations and take our order. And while we waited we started to nibble on the

[​IMG]

fresh baguette, which we topped with a little butter. The server was quick to bring out our appetizers. We both had chosen the same thing, the

[​IMG]

Vegetable Quesadillas, served with guacamole, sour cream and pico de gallo. We had had them before and they were just as good as the previous time we had had them. For our main course we had ordered the same item as well, the

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Angus Chuck Burger a, grilled 1/2 lb burger with a choice or bacon, cheddar or swiss cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and onions, served with coleslaw and french fries. It was huge, juicy and tasty and the server was determined to put ketchup on our plates, a kind of Mickey shaped blob for Tom and a Minnie shaped one, complete with bow for me. And, did I mention that this was a HUGE portion? So large, that we were not able to fit in some dessert. We tipped the servers and rolled out of the restaurant and back to our stateroom for a little rest. We crashed in front of the TV for a while watching a movie on demand.
    But about an hour later we were out and about again, heading up to the top deck for the drink of the day.

To be continued ............