Get new magic bands or decline and use old ones

luckyman_apd

DIS Veteran
So, there is a new option on MDE when you select your magic band for a reservation, that you can now decline a magicband if you already have them. What's everyone's opinion on this? We always thought it was a waste to get multiple bands for a split stays, but I do kind of like getting a new one each trip.

Due to some SERIOUS airfare savings we are adding a 3 day weekend in January and a trip next summer (annual pass) on top of our already planned christmas trip. The Christmas trip is a split stay as we had to add a night last minute, and the January trip we were able to get 2 of the 3 nights at a resort we've never tried before. So even thought the trips are only about a month apart, we are thinking different bands for the trips....but not 2 bands each trip because of the split stay (even though they will do that). We have quite a chain going from all our old bands.....but not going to lie....some of them got discolored from the pool/heat/sunscreen/sweat/etc.

One factor is that the battery inside (for longer distance location awareness; really just ride photos and Be Our Guest lunch delivery for now) can die in as short as 18 months, so I wouldn't use any bands older than that. It is good to have the option to decline, as we definitely wasted some bands and I don't think they're recyclable.

... I don't think they're recyclable.
Yes, they are recyclable by Disney. Just turn them at any Disney resort.

For our part, we have at least two of every color, so being able to decline them is great. As for the boxes that the bands come in, we sale them on e-bay.

All you need is one MB that works. So order one per trip if you like, or just one got both trips, or reuse a band from an earlier trip.

Related question, we're doing a split stay with a break in the middle. Basically, staying one night before a cruise, going on the cruise, and then coming back to WDW for a wee. If I decline the 2nd MB set, will I have to do anything special to make sure the first set continues to work a week later?

Related question, we're doing a split stay with a break in the middle. Basically, staying one night before a cruise, going on the cruise, and then coming back to WDW for a wee. If I decline the 2nd MB set, will I have to do anything special to make sure the first set continues to work a week later?
Nope. As long as both room reservations are linked to the same MDE account, any MagicBand assigned to you should open the door to your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter