Germany: Once Upon a Fairytale Meets Thread

My DH and I are signed up for the September 19, 2014 trip. This will be our first ABD vacation and we're very excited! I'd like to be added to the Roll Call.

I've been wondering about laundry on this trip. How have people dealt with this in the past :confused3

DH and I did this trip in Sept 2013. We had our laundry done in Rothenberg at Hotel Eisenhut. Prices were reasonable and it was quick and easy. Enjoy your adventure!

DH and I did this trip in Sept 2013. We had our laundry done in Rothenberg at Hotel Eisenhut. Prices were reasonable and it was quick and easy. Enjoy your adventure!
Thanks, that eases my mind. Rothenberg is about the half-way point. How was the weather last September? We live in the foothills west of Denver and enjoy the 60-70 degree weather, but our humidity is very low.
We're arriving two days early and are planning to visit Berg Eltz (potential train adventure, I think) and cruise the Neckar River for a day. Has anyone had any experience with either jaunt?

Thanks, that eases my mind. Rothenberg is about the half-way point. How was the weather last September? We live in the foothills west of Denver and enjoy the 60-70 degree weather, but our humidity is very low. We're arriving two days early and are planning to visit Berg Eltz (potential train adventure, I think) and cruise the Neckar River for a day. Has anyone had any experience with either jaunt?

We took the river cruise down the Neckar on our pre-day. It was July and we got very sunburned! Lol. It was very nice, beautiful scenery, drinks, food, and restrooms available. It was a little long, especially since you have to wait for the locks. DH and DD20 thought it was a bit boring by the end, we did enjoy it for the most part. I thought the views were gorgeous. Ahh... How we loved Germany!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thanks, that eases my mind. Rothenberg is about the half-way point. How was the weather last September? We live in the foothills west of Denver and enjoy the 60-70 degree weather, but our humidity is very low.
We're arriving two days early and are planning to visit Berg Eltz (potential train adventure, I think) and cruise the Neckar River for a day. Has anyone had any experience with either jaunt?

The weather in September last year was great! We are from Houston, so I was a bit chilly and DH and everyone else on the adventure thought it was perfect. Highs were in the 60-70's, and not particularly humid. We took light jackets and wore layers and were very comfortable. This particular adventure has a lot of walking and hiking, so a couple of pairs of comfortable shoes were invaluable.

Greetings all. I just wanted to say a quick "Hi"!

We're thrilled to be going on the ABD Germany trip Aug 15-23 with my DW and DD. Can't wait!

If you don't mind answering, I've always been curious about how ABD would handle a situation like yours where you need (or want) to change your date and/or itinerary. I feel compelled to book early because of the price increase as the trip fills up, which leaves more time for me to change my mind. It's especially tempting when ABD announces new trips late in the season, like they did with Norway this year. Did they allow you to switch without any penalty?

We actually had to change our dates, and there was no penalty to do so. They just charge you (or refund you) the difference from the then-current rate for those times. We ended up saving money actually when we switched dates!
:banana:

Greetings all. I just wanted to say a quick "Hi"! We're thrilled to be going on the ABD Germany trip Aug 15-23 with my DW and DD. Can't wait!

It is a wonderful trip! We loved it!!! Still think about those wonderful pretzels in Rothenberg and the fun we all had each night having cocktails together! :-)

Greetings all. I just wanted to say a quick "Hi"!

We're thrilled to be going on the ABD Germany trip Aug 15-23 with my DW and DD. Can't wait!
Welcome to the DISBoards and the ABD Forum! I've added you to the Roll Call on the first post of this thread. It looks like you'll be on the same departure as DISer Faithhopelove972 and her friend!

Sayhello

Hey everyone,
Do you need Euros, or could we stick only with CC (restaurants, local stores etc.)? I'm sure there are a few ATMs along the way, but if we do need any cash, it would be good to get what we need beforehand.
Thanks!

Greetings all. I just wanted to say a quick "Hi"! We're thrilled to be going on the ABD Germany trip Aug 15-23 with my DW and DD. Can't wait!

Hurray!! So glad to see someone else who is going! Have you and your family ever been on an ABD trip before?

Hey everyone, Do you need Euros, or could we stick only with CC (restaurants, local stores etc.)? I'm sure there are a few ATMs along the way, but if we do need any cash, it would be good to get what we need beforehand. Thanks!
Best to have a few Euros for "SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hit send too soon!

As I as saying..... A few euros are good to have - most places take cc but a few little shops in Waldeck or Alsfeld might not. DD bought a dirndl in Munich ABD the shop did not take cc. The vending machine at the Lufthunsa gate (past security) only took Euros. Lol.

You can always give any extra currency to the guides with their gratuity. We did that on both our ABD trips.

Hurray!! So glad to see someone else who is going! Have you and your family ever been on an ABD trip before?

This is our first ABD trip! We've been on numerous DCL cruises and kept hearing about ABD on them, so we simply couldn't resist. We're super excited.

Is this your first ABD?

This is our first ABD trip! We've been on numerous DCL cruises and kept hearing about ABD on them, so we simply couldn't resist. We're super excited.

Is this your first ABD?

Oh nice! Yes DCL is great! Do you prefer the classic ships or the newer ones?

And yes it's both our first ABD! But we have been to WDW on many a trip and have been wanting to travel ABD for a looongg time so we are really looking forward to this!

Best to have a few Euros for "SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hit send too soon!

As I as saying..... A few euros are good to have - most places take cc but a few little shops in Waldeck or Alsfeld might not. DD bought a dirndl in Munich ABD the shop did not take cc. The vending machine at the Lufthunsa gate (past security) only took Euros. Lol.

You can always give any extra currency to the guides with their gratuity. We did that on both our ABD trips.

All good to know!! Did you also have to buy an electric converter plug thing a ma jig? Wasn't sure if I should get one... Thanks Singing Mom!

All good to know!! Did you also have to buy an electric converter plug thing a ma jig? Wasn't sure if I should get one... Thanks Singing Mom!
You will definitely need, at the least, an adapter for your plugs.

Something like this:

414L1XGzZoL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-EU-6PK-American-European-Adapter/dp/B0036VJ1OQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406475544&sr=1-6&keywords=plug+adapter+usa+to+europe

Most smart phones and tablets, etc, are dual-voltage (110 - 240v) so you don't need a converter for those, just an adaptor, since our plugs physically won't fit in their plugs. Some things, like some flat irons, older electronics, aren't dual-voltage, and would require a converter (which normally come with adapters). Some things (like hair dryers) still don't work well even with converters (I know folks who have blown out either the hair dryer or the electric circuit using them in Europe, even *with* a converter.)

What I've done is buy a universal power strip. That way, all you need is one adaptor, and you can still plug in 3 or four dual-voltage items.

41el81HBeCL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Pow...&sr=1-6&keywords=universal+travel+power+strip

Sayhello

Oh yes - you need adapters. I got a cute set from Brookstone. UK is different than other European counties, so it was nice to have the set, in a nice case. DD20 brought it with her on her semester abroad.

My DW just bought a 110-220v travel hair dryer and curling iron to take on the trip. Far better to use these than a US standard 110v+power converter.

I'm also bringing a very similar power strip to what sayhello suggested. Hotel rooms NEVER have enough free outlets...especially in Europe.

Finally I'm bringing a 5-port USB power supply to keep all the iPads/phones charged. Take a search on Amazon for Anker 40W USB Charger (since I can't post URLs on these boards.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter