Germany 7/8/2011

I'm not going on this trip, but I was in Munich last September and loved it. Where in Germany are you traveling?

I'm not going on this trip, but I was in Munich last September and loved it. Where in Germany are you traveling?

Heidelberg, Waldeck Castle (near Trundelberg, I think), Rothenburg, and Munich. We'll stay in each of those place for two nights. We'll also stop at Alsfeld along the way.

DH & I went on the trip last September, it was sooo much fun, you are going to have a great time. We didn't do the Waldeck castle but it looks nice. We did Trendelberg instead. I hope you have Stephanie and or Marc as guide. They were our guides and they were just terrific.

It was probably the best trip I had ever taken and didn't really want to come home. There' just so much to see.

We ended our trip in Munich during Octoberfest, it was neat. Not sure I woudl every do that again (too many people) but it was fun to do it just once. :)

Let me know if you have any questions about the trip, I'd be happy to help

We ended our trip in Munich during Octoberfest, it was neat. Not sure I woudl every do that again (too many people) but it was fun to do it just once. :)

Munich is a beautiful city, unfortunately, Oktoberfest isn't really the best time to see it. Overly crowded and overly priced. That being said, I'm still going back this September :-)

Munich is great but I would have to recommend everyone at least spend a little time at Regensberg which is about an hour away from Munich. That's where the bridge is located where they filmed the final scenes in Saving Private Ryan. It has the beauty of Munich without the crowds.

A couple of hours drive from there (the scenery is worth the drive alone) you can go visit the Neuschwanstein Castle to see where Walt got the idea for Cinderella's castle.

Not far from there in Austria you can go to Salzberg. You get to drive through the Alps on the way and Salzberg is unbelievable! They have a big castle/fort up on a mountain overlooking the town.

Those are just a few places I would recommend to see near Bavaria. I've been there a lot and find you don't really get the true Bavarian experience in Munich.

We did this at Christmas 2009--loved it! I highly recommend if you can do it an add on day or two at the end in Munich--we did that, and our guides (Stephanie and Jeanne) helped us get train tickets on line for Salzburg, Austria. Just a couple of hours train ride and you can easily walk across the river to Old Town (and up to the castle) from the train station, passing by a few Sound of Music sights on the way. (Plus, then, we had snow--very beautiful!). The Deutches Museum in the middle of the river in Munich was a great place to spend a day as well--very large, full of interactive things.

Thanks for the replies! We appreciate any tips about this Adventure. We both like to travel, but neither of us have visited Europe before, so it's all new to us. We are actually extending our trip into Paris once our ABD is over.

Are there any side trips offered during down time? Kind of like optional cruise excursions? Are there any must-sees that we should consider during our free time? Will Sleeping Beauty's castle (Sababurg??) be accessible? We weren't sure since the tour is now staying at Waldeck Castle instead of Trendelberg. We are both actually school teachers, and we are using this trip as a way to experience some of the fairytale history of the region.

For those of you who have done this ABD - any suggestions as to where to eat the meals that we do on our own? Or any suggestionsa about what to do during our "on our own" time?

I believe they are not going back to Sleeping Beauty's castle with the change but dont' quote me. I seem to remember Stephanie saying that

I believe in Heidleberg you won't have to find a place for dinner. There's a couple things you can do with the afternoon you have on your own. We got in a day early so we took a cruise up the Neckar river and then the day we went to the castle we took the little tram thing up the mountain, and then did some shopping. make sure you hit the Kathe Wolfhart store there's one in Rotenberg but worth checking out in Heidleberg too.

I wish I could remember the place we ate in Trendleberg it was nice. We ate outside and I can't quite remember the name but it was some like a flatbread that we had.

In Munich we also stayed and extra day. We were lucky enough that Disney covered two dinners there when they usually only covered one. our last night though we did eat at one of the hoffbrau houses. It's not one that most people know, I have to go back and look.

You are goign to have SOOOO much fun.

For anyone who has been on this tour: Do you happen to know if there are some free wi-fi hotspots near each destination? I have read that the hotel in Heidelberg has free internet access in the business center, but was it easy to find free access at other destinations?

Bumping back up to the top.

Another Question: We will be extending our trip into Paris after our ABD ends. Would it be easier to do some laundry in Munich or to just pack more? What should we expect to pay to wash and dry one load?

Minnie,
I can't answer your question exactly, but I do know when we were on this trip in July 2008, I was able to get internet connection for a small fee in Heidleburg & Rothenburg. HOWEVER, at the Kempinski in Munich, there was no Wifi at the hotel. I called the front desk about it, and they brought me a cable to connect in the room. So I stayed on the computer for hours after my tired daughter went to sleep, thinking it was free. There was nothing that popped up on the screen telling me that I would be charged or any sign on the desk, as we would expect in the US.
When I went to check out, much to my surprise, I had an internet charge of $75! I was LIVID!!! So I guess I learned the lesson the very hard way (I was told that there was mention of it buried in the notebook in the room), but I have tried to warn others. It's not the way you want to end an otherwise fabulous trip.
Perhaps it's changed by now, but it was so hard for me to believe that a 5 star hotel in a major city can't provide internet for free. (I do fault the guides for not warning people too, but otherwise, they were great).
Maybe you'll have luck finding spots near the hotels that offer free Wi-fi, I didn't even try that.

Bumping back up to the top.

Another Question: We will be extending our trip into Paris after our ABD ends. Would it be easier to do some laundry in Munich or to just pack more? What should we expect to pay to wash and dry one load?

The hotel in Munich is on a main street, across from Old Town--and I don't recall a laundromat in that area. The hotel probably has a service,but I bet it is pretty expensive--we have found that the more expensive the hotel,the more you have to pay for things (like here--the cheaper hotels seem to offer free wifi, but the more expensive places charge).

As for wifi--there are plenty of coffee shops etc in the area, so I bet you can find a free hotspot; the only problem with that is that you are likely to get something in German!

At the Munich hotel, there were wifi booths on the first floor but I think there was a charge for that--and as another poster noted, there are charges for cable.

The hotel is just down the street from the Residenz--we didn't tour it as part of the ABD time, so did it on our own and it was definately worth it!

Hi MissTammy,

I have been to both Munich area and Heidelberg area more than a few times in the last few years, unfortunately for work, though. Heading back to Munich area in June (A day after I return from DW with the family). Munich is nice, as PP mentions Oktoberfest is not the best time to see Munich at its prime, esp last year during the 200th year anniversary. Local coworkers say most arent even Germans. I went during what my German colleagues call "Italian week" in 2009. It was fun, but was there last year but stayed away. Not sure how packed your days will be but if you are left to somewhat schedule your own events, check out Mikes Bike Tours. The owner was originally from the US and caters to English speaking tourists, and I know some folks who have done the tour and liked it, although I didnt due to the weather. Also, I have taken the Dauchau Concentration camp tour as it is close to the Munich airport where I rented the car. But I saw many tour buses coming in, so they obviously cater to large crowds too. It was extremely moving. You can choose a self-guided audio tour (English) which I did, which was 3.5 Euros, plus I think it was a 10 Euro deposit which you get back when your return it. A guided tour is also avail which you would go with a group, but they only do one or two tours per day in English.

As far as Heidleberg, I work in Mannheim which is a quick train ride away. Mannheim is an area where there is a lot of shopping, but prices are high (norm for pretty much all of Europe I found). Heidleberg castle is pretty cool. It's a somewhat challenging walk up to it, so wear comfortable shoes. It is free to walk up to it and around it, but there is a charge to enter the courtyard and into the open areas of the castle. They were doing some renovations on the castle so not all of it may be accessible. But its a beautiful view nonetheless. The city itself is really cool. A good variety of restaurants, pubs, etc. We went into a pub there that had a tree growing in the middle of it and did some sort of flaming shots. Went with a German colleague who knew the area. Most notable restaurant was where we were served the largest platter of meat I ever saw. Not sure what all of it was, but it was great. I can try to look back at my records if you are interested in the names of the restaurants. There are also many bars which legally sell absinthe, a high proof liquor which is rumored to have psychoactive properties. This appeared to be all the rave for younger tourists.

Either way, I know you will enjoy your time. I have found the local German folks in Bavarian region to be extremely polite, helpful and tolerant of us Americans. If you havent already, I'd suggest learning a few basic German phrases which is even more appreciated as it shows at least an attempt at respecting their culture. I went so far to start taking lessons on Rosetta Stone as I am there fairly often and enjoy it there so much.

Enjoy!!!

Can I jump in on this?

We are planning on visiting Munich next August and I am just starting the planning. Is it fairly easy to get around Munich area without a car? Good public transportation? I have looked at getting a German Railpass but wasn't sue if just looking at local transportation around the city might be best.

THANK YOU

Can I jump in on this?

We are planning on visiting Munich next August and I am just starting the planning. Is it fairly easy to get around Munich area without a car? Good public transportation? I have looked at getting a German Railpass but wasn't sue if just looking at local transportation around the city might be best.

THANK YOU

Public transportation is good, esp within city limits. It still depends on where you want to go, though. If it is on a train route or main bus route, your good. Only reason why I rent a car is b/c my work site is in a smaller village and is not close to the rail station, plus taxis are pricey. Say on average 25-30 Euros in my particular region for about a 10 min taxi ride (no traffic). Weak US dollar doesnt help.

About 10 years ago, I spent a few days in Munich by myself. I took the train from the airport, and stayed at a hotel near the train station (I walked there with a roller suitcase, but cabs were plentiful). When it was too far to walk (many places were close by), I used the subway, or booked tours from the hotel or the tour companies at the train station tourist bureau. I found it a very easy city to get around without a car. As with any foreign city though, it helps to study the subway routes in advance to have an idea where you would get on and off

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter