Geocaching

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Thnlk, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Thnlk

Thnlk Mouseketeer

2/5/2011 on the Magic will be our 1st cruise. We are very excited to geocache when in port. I haven't seen a thread about it. Is there not many geocachers out there? It seems like such a natural fit

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Dopeylover54

Dopeylover54 Mouseketeer

I remember seeing somewhere that there is a geocache on Castaway.

4. lucyem

lucyem DIS Veteran

The Passporter Podcast had an episode on geocaching while cruising.

5. ClubDis

ClubDis Former CM , Current TA & Long-time Disney Addict

I love geocaching!

6. dlberney

dlberney Mouseketeer

My husband loves geocaching! I will have to tell him about the one at CC. :woohoo:

7. Thnlk

Thnlk Mouseketeer

I don't have enough post to add a link but here is the cache number GCRFBJ

We will be doing the Western Caribbean. Does anyone have suggestions on cool caches they have found?

8. ClubDis

ClubDis Former CM , Current TA & Long-time Disney Addict

It'll be interesting to try and find this one since I do all my caching with my iphone. Have to go old school since there won't be any service.

9. peachygreen

peachygreen DIS Veteran

Is a geocache a high tech version of the old letter boxes?

10. Thnlk

Thnlk Mouseketeer

With my limited letter box experience I would say yes. I had cached for several years before finding a letter box

11. AKMOUSE

AKMOUSE Mouseketeer

We did the Western Caribbean in March and GeoCached at Key West. Had a great time and rang into another family from the ship that was doing it too.
    Sadly, our cruise didn't make it to Castaway Cay due to weather so we could do the cache there.

12. Compte de Yoyo

Compte de Yoyo Earning My Ears

My friend and I have been caching for years but haven't been on a Disney cruise (yet! In a few years, starting my researching/lurking now LOL). It's totally gone hand in hand together with our travelling however. There were a ton when we visited Vancouver, many of the log books we came across in the park mentioned they were on a cruise and took a quick outing with their GPS vs an excursion. Earthcaches and virtual ones would be super easy too to grab too at local landmarks!

13. dlberney

dlberney Mouseketeer

Does anyone know about geocaching in Nassau? That is our only stop besides CC. Thanks!:thumbsup2

14. sdchickie

sdchickie Fan of the Mouse!

How do you find info about the one on CC? I've been wanting to get into geocaching and I think that would be a great way to get the kids into it too.

15. Dopeylover54

Dopeylover54 Mouseketeer

If you google castaway cay geocaching, there seems to be a lot of interesting links.

16. Thnlk

Thnlk Mouseketeer

Goto geocaching.com and signup. Basic membership is free. Premium membership is around $30.00 a year. There is a lot of ways to search for caches zip code, city,state, and county. For the CC cache you can also enter the GC code I posted earlier.

17. HappyontheLake

HappyontheLake One cruise down, next one in March 2011

Hadn't even thought about geocaching while on our next cruise! Kids love to do that -- forgot to take our GPS when we went on our last vacation, kids were not happy with me.

18. MaineFam3

MaineFam3 Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info about the geocache on CC. This will be our first find :) (or DNF) outside the USA. Will have to add our GPS unit to the packing list!

19. Geodoc

Geodoc Mouseketeer

Hey Thnlk

We will be on that same cruise......and I will for sure be geocaching. We did this same itinerary 4 years ago and I found caches in all the ports, so this time we plan to find more!!!! Sadly only one cache remains on Castaway Cay (last time I checked, there used to be Three). I am hoping there are other cachers on this cruise as well!!!!

20. Thnlk

Thnlk Mouseketeer

Geodoc
    Our geocaching id is wildwillys. Maybe if there in anybody else on our cruise interested in caching or trying it for the 1st time we could have a meet. Key West would be the best place to do it. Looks like lots of caches close by.

21. Geodoc

Geodoc Mouseketeer

Yes Key West is good as there should be a number of hides very close to where the ship docks....so only a bit of walking needed. I hope to do a few caches in Cozumel and Grand Camen as well.....not as many within walking distance however.....but if we can score some wheels who knows!!!!
    I am up for a meet.