Geeks on a boat, now with more geeks! Literally. Alaska 2013 planning starts now!

Love your PTR - I guess you could say I'm a planner too because my cruise doesn't even leave for Alaska until 2014:rotfl: Can't wait to read your TR - did you do a TR last time you were in Alaska (would love to read it).

Does it make me seriously ill if I am already planning for Aug 2017?? I so hope DCL will still be doing Alaska then because our budget and our kids ages (6 1/2 and 1 1/2 right now) have us thinking 2017 is the year. And it will be our 20th anniversary, and DH and DS6 both have birthdays the last week of August. So anyway thanks for the info, can't wait to read more!

Love your PTR - I guess you could say I'm a planner too because my cruise doesn't even leave for Alaska until 2014:rotfl: Can't wait to read your TR - did you do a TR last time you were in Alaska (would love to read it).

Does it make me seriously ill if I am already planning for Aug 2017?? I so hope DCL will still be doing Alaska then because our budget and our kids ages (6 1/2 and 1 1/2 right now) have us thinking 2017 is the year. And it will be our 20th anniversary, and DH and DS6 both have birthdays the last week of August. So anyway thanks for the info, can't wait to read more!

:thumbsup2

So, was anyone able to determine if the hand warmers have a shelf life or not?

We have a brand new Gander Mountain opening up near my office, and I wonder if they would carry something like that.

Loving your pre-trip report! We are on the cruise after you. Also taking grandparents and another family. Also flying into Vancouver (my family and parents) while the other family flies into Seattle and takes the train. We are also gold and traveling with all noobs. Slightly different ages for kids though - this is a high school graduation trip for my oldest son. (Who am I kidding? It is what I wanted to do. But all I had to say was Disney Cruise and he was ready to go!) I am a compulsive over-packer, so I am going to have to study the RS packing pages and use some of your recommendations. And I have been obsessed with planning since I booked this in March of 2012. :wave2:

I love your trip report too!! We also were on the Inaugural May 2011 Alaska cruise and we never thought we could do it again, but guess what? We are going on the May 27 Alaska cruise this year!! Thank you soo much for sharing your plans with all of us, and we are doing some of the excursions differently this time around too. Can't wait for your next installment... Aloha, Karen and Ron:wave2:

So, was anyone able to determine if the hand warmers have a shelf life or not?

We have a brand new Gander Mountain opening up near my office, and I wonder if they would carry something like that.

I have used similar ones YEARS after they were purchased, and they worked just fine. They are activated once they are exposed to air, so as long as the package is intact they should have a pretty much infinite shelf life. The price on Amazon is pretty good, I ended up buying some at Sports Authority last month for an unseasonably cold baseball game and they were much more expensive. (Our Walmart sometimes has them for hunting season, but they were all sold out. It's supposed to be warm in Georgia in March!)

Enjoying the PTR! I just today booked our airfare for our Alaska cruise in September. I'm looking forward to reading the reports from the earlier sailings!

Just discovered your PTR and am loving it. You have pretty much picked the excursions we did last year. Looking forward to reading everyones Alaska TRs this year as I so want to go back.

Love your TR ! We're not going until July 28,2014. We have 6 staterooms. Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to the rest of the story :-) :cool1:

I'm still alive, I promise. It's been a busy few weeks.

Still haven't booked airfare :faint: I know, I know....but we'll be doing that this weekend. Also taking a mini-vacation to NYC this weekend with Izzy - girls' weekend!

As our cruise thread pointed out - we sail NEXT MONTH. Holy moly. It's going to be here before we know it! Good thing I'm too busy to panic :rotfl:

I'm still alive, I promise. It's been a busy few weeks.

Still haven't booked airfare :faint: I know, I know....but we'll be doing that this weekend. Also taking a mini-vacation to NYC this weekend with Izzy - girls' weekend!

As our cruise thread pointed out - we sail NEXT MONTH. Holy moly. It's going to be here before we know it! Good thing I'm too busy to panic :rotfl:

Wow, still no airfare? - I booked ours 11 months out !
I keep thinking the cruise is ages away and then I try and fit in weekend stuff and realise there are too many of them left!
Be sure to post when you have booked your flights - my nerves can't take it ;)

Wow, still no airfare? - I booked ours 11 months out !
I keep thinking the cruise is ages away and then I try and fit in weekend stuff and realise there are too many of them left!
Be sure to post when you have booked your flights - my nerves can't take it ;)

Linda, you'll be thrilled to know we have BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS!!! :cool1:

Funnily enough, I was starting to stress over the weekend as the prices were quickly rising....but Izzy and I were away on a girls' weekend in NYC with one of my best buddies so I wasn't able to book until we returned. Celebrity sightings: Rod Stewart, Ben Stiller (who incidentally are both about my height) and the Naked Singing Cowboy. I don't know if the latter actually counts as a celebrity, but he rounds out the trio nicely.
I digress.

My dad wanted us to all book our flights at the same time, so he wrote me a check on Sunday. At this point, the flights were up to $750 (from $670)....total bummer. But when I tried to put his check in the ATM Monday morning, the ATM said "we cannot accept deposits at this time."

:scared1:

Lionel rushed out later that afternoon to deposit the check directly at the bank (I had an afternoon appointment) and success! My parents stopped by so we could book the flights.
And, my computer would not let me log in to any travel sites OR the bank.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Talked to my stepmom this morning (now Tuesday) and she had planned to stop by this evening after work so we could look at flights together and mourn the extra hundreds of dollars this trip was now costing us. Who knows what the airfare would be up to by then. Reluctantly, peering through my fingers, I logged on to hotwire.

$650.
Each.
Booyah!!!

I totally did the happy dance right there in the living room. With the curtains open. I don't care who saw me. I texted everyone I knew, and some people I didn't.
"Guess who just saved $500 on airfare?"
"Uhhh, who is this?"

So now I am breathing a sigh of relief. I also solemnly swear NOT to look at airfare between now and travel day, because if it drops any more it's going to stress me out. lol.

Plans for tonight?
  • read more trip reports
  • check out Vancouver and Alaska weather
  • complete online check-in
  • review packing list
  • not sleep

I just found your trip report. You had my attention with the mention of diagrams, and those photos from RS are awesome! I will be able to use the packing tips for my upcoming DLR trip :thumbsup2 I am a serious obsessive planner and as soon as my DH said he wants to take an alaskan cruise I am all over the cruise side of the DISboards. So far I'm digging your PTR :)

If you are, then I am too :rotfl: We already have vacations planned for 2013, 2014, and 2015 so we decided to do our first cruise for our 15th anniversary in August of 2017. It gives me loads of time to research (being cruise noobs, I have no idea where to start) and save up enough to do the excursions and spa treatments, not to mention the expense of alcohol on board :)

Great news on the flights.

:woohoo:

I just found your trip report. You had my attention with the mention of diagrams, and those photos from RS are awesome! I will be able to use the packing tips for my upcoming DLR trip :thumbsup2 I am a serious obsessive planner and as soon as my DH said he wants to take an alaskan cruise I am all over the cruise side of the DISboards. So far I'm digging your PTR :)

If you are, then I am too :rotfl: We already have vacations planned for 2013, 2014, and 2015 so we decided to do our first cruise for our 15th anniversary in August of 2017. It gives me loads of time to research (being cruise noobs, I have no idea where to start) and save up enough to do the excursions and spa treatments, not to mention the expense of alcohol on board :)

:thumbsup2 That's what I'm saying! lol

We realized yesterday, over a few bottles of wine (with the other couple who is joining us) that there are only THREE MORE WEEKENDS between now and when we leave for Vancouver (or, in their case, Seattle). I'm still not panicking, but it does mean I need to get the last few things we need for the vacation PRONTO. Still need:

• a pop-up hamper (or some other option)
  • scotch guard for our shoes
  • the rechargeable battery back for Isabelle's leap pad
  • one more travel laundry soap pouch...because you just never know

I had planned to get some new "exciting" things for Isabelle to enjoy on the plane, but I never ended up opening anything I had bought for our NYC vacation so that's covered! I still have a mini "My Little Pony", two mini puzzles and a new leappad game. Wrapped in purple tissue, no less. I'll probably get a few takeoff and landing treats, but otherwise I think we are pretty solid. Though I may also spring for another new game for the leappad: Minnie's Bow-Tique. Because, you know. Minnie rules. And also, it increases the liklihood of me actually getting to use my iPad on the plane...

I just totally high-fived myself.

Last night, Stefanie (Paige's mom) expressed sadness that it was, in her words, "too soon to start packing." To which I shouted "BLASPHEMY!!!!"

The best part about only having three weekends left, it that they are almost all spoken for...meaning they will pass quickly! As my sister-in-law says, our dance card is almost always full :thumbsup2 this week a dear friend from London arrives in town with her daugher. She'll be at Disney for TWO WEEKS! And I know we will be out there multiple times for Disney play days and catch up time. That leaves only one weekend, during which I am working an extra shift.

Bring on this vacation! :upsidedow

Love that you had a girls weekend with DD in NY :)

I just can't believe how close this trip is now

I always seem to do this, I think "ah it's ages away" and then I try and work out when I can do various errands and visit friends etc and it's like ... Oh I have three free weekends!!!

I am so happy you got a great price on your flights :)

Tomorrow I am gonna have to follow your lead and work on my packing lists

It's coming up quick! How exciting! I never thought of counting the number of weekends. I'll have to check a calendar and see how many we have left.

I'm still waiting for the new edition of the cruise Passporter, which has had its publication date pushed back at least twice and is now listed on Amazon as coming out June 13, and on the Passporter site as coming out in June/July.

In the meantime, we've booked our excursions. Sled Dog Summer Camp, here we come!

I just found your trip report and I am pretty sure you are my new best friend. We are sailing to Alaska July 15 with my almost 3 year old and my 17 month old. Yep. Two toddlers. One small room. I am panicked about sleep, but it will be fun.... right? We are also traveling with my in-laws.

I have a LONG packing list. Too long. I also stalked Gymboree like a mad woman during their end of the season sales and I maybe, just maybe, bought too much stuff... and if my daughter doesn't grow soon- I bought it all too big!! ARGH!!! You have inspired me to pare it down. I am a teacher and school just got out and I am thinking, sweet, I can start packing- but the cruise is still 51 days away- so I am trying to be strong. Plus, I have to torture my daughter into trying on clothes so I have to wait until it gets closer.

We are doing whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau, the train and street car tour in Skagway, and Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast in Ketchikan. I am a bit worried about the last one, I hope my kids behave and we aren't *those people* with the annoying kids.

I am also worried about naps, mostly for my younger one- she isn't an easy sleeper and is still young enough she needs one. My son is easier and is old enough that if he misses one it won't kills us. And selfishly, I am wondering how I am going to get to shop if the kids always need to nap after excursions, but I am thinking I might help put them to sleep and then let DH stay on the boat with them and I get back off. I haven't told him this plan yet... we'll see how he takes it!

It's coming up quick! How exciting! I never thought of counting the number of weekends. I'll have to check a calendar and see how many we have left.

I'm still waiting for the new edition of the cruise Passporter, which has had its publication date pushed back at least twice and is now listed on Amazon as coming out June 13, and on the Passporter site as coming out in June/July.

In the meantime, we've booked our excursions. Sled Dog Summer Camp, here we come!

Boo to the late passporter, hooray for dog sledding!

I just found your trip report and I am pretty sure you are my new best friend. We are sailing to Alaska July 15 with my almost 3 year old and my 17 month old. Yep. Two toddlers. One small room. I am panicked about sleep, but it will be fun.... right? We are also traveling with my in-laws.

I have a LONG packing list. Too long. I also stalked Gymboree like a mad woman during their end of the season sales and I maybe, just maybe, bought too much stuff... and if my daughter doesn't grow soon- I bought it all too big!! ARGH!!! You have inspired me to pare it down. I am a teacher and school just got out and I am thinking, sweet, I can start packing- but the cruise is still 51 days away- so I am trying to be strong. Plus, I have to torture my daughter into trying on clothes so I have to wait until it gets closer.

We are doing whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau, the train and street car tour in Skagway, and Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast in Ketchikan. I am a bit worried about the last one, I hope my kids behave and we aren't *those people* with the annoying kids.

I am also worried about naps, mostly for my younger one- she isn't an easy sleeper and is still young enough she needs one. My son is easier and is old enough that if he misses one it won't kills us. And selfishly, I am wondering how I am going to get to shop if the kids always need to nap after excursions, but I am thinking I might help put them to sleep and then let DH stay on the boat with them and I get back off. I haven't told him this plan yet... we'll see how he takes it!

:wave2:
Hi new friend!!!

As an aside, I was forbidden two years ago from ever again entering Gymboree without a chaperone. :rotfl:

Don't fret TOO much over the overpacking. I mean, when you're travelling with kids it's a fine line between running out of underwear and the whole "did we REALLY need to bring the Dora guitar?" :lmao: and you have TWO - we are only bringing one!

Here are my thoughts on the kid stuff:
  • of course you'll need SOME toys, and SOME snacks, but there's no need to go overboard...the boat is one giant toy.
  • when it comes to packing their clothes, I followed this formula: start with one complete outfit per day, then take half of that out. Add a few "just in cases" (like an extra warm outfit, and a pair of shorts) and some comfies (I bring a pair or two of extra leggings for play clothes in the club). And embrace laundry. Because it will happen.
  • the sleep gets kind of strange anyhow, because as much as you try to follow the schedule, there's the whole time change thing and excursions tend to fall over naptime and so on and so on. You have the advantage of being closer to the west coast, which is good. You also have the advantage of travelling with another set of adults who presumably love your children! Use them! :thumbsup2

I don't know if that helps or not. I have to admit, it still stresses me out to look at my list for Isabelle, but then I remember how much stuff we had the last time that we never used. There's "better safe than sorry" and there's also "sorry ma'am, your suitcase weighs 90 pounds....that will mean an additional fee of $90,000.00, please."
I might be exagerating a tad. It's probably only $89,000. ::yes::

Two more weekends! Not counting this one. lol.

That totally helps- thank you. We HAD to make a trip to the Disney Store today to get my son the Mike Wazoski shirt I had been searching for- a friend tipped me off they had it there. They had only two left- I think it was last year's and it is off their site. I wanted it for Pixar night- but it is the florescent green one with the GIANT eye in the middle- and all they had was a 4, so he can wear it for at least a year. I figure this can be my go to shirt when we are headed somewhere I need to spot him in a crowd because WOW this shirt is bright! At least, that is how I justified it to myself to buy another shirt for this cruise. I resisted the Gymboree across the way, but really, my husband was with us. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter