GCH Standard View - Questions

Aby

Obsessive and Compulsive
Hello all,

We are thinking of a short notice trip to Disneyland in the middle of February, and I have my heart set on the Grand Californian. I have found a great deal on a vacation package but I cannot afford anything but a standard view.

First, I am a bit confused as to what a standard view means, because in the vacation package I can only choose 3 different views - standard, downtown disney, or CA view. Looking at the GCH mega thread, there appears to be an extra view now for woods/courtyard/garden view.

In the descriptions in my package, it says that a standard view is a "view of the courtyard or pool"... so I'm hoping that that's what I would get...but the standard view wording throws me off - I wish they'd use the same as the resorts!

Anyway, enough rambling...

1. Is the GCH worth staying in even if I can only get a bare bones standard view? Will I still enjoy the rooms, the atmosphere of the hotel, the closeness to the parks?

2. How busy are the hotels the February *before* the long weekend? Would the chances of getting at least a small upgrade from parking lot to garden be good if they are less busy?

3. I could also do the DL hotel, premium view for less than the cost of the standard room. But it's just my hubby and I and the GCH seems so much more romantic and themed - we love Disney but we don't need the rooms & hotel to scream Disney!

What do you all think? Is it still worth it to to the the GCH regardless of the view??

Thanks in advance!

Aby

In my opinion, yes. We love the location and easy access to the parks. We love the hotel! However, we have always booked the cheapest room and being off season have always been upgraded to a room with a view of CA. We have stayed at DLH (pre renovation) and prefer the Grand due to location and theme.

I agree! The GCH is definitely still worth it even if you book a standard room! You'll enjoy the atmosphere and the proximity!!

Actually when we stayed there we booked the cheapest standard room and ended up with a downtown disney view room which was really fun to sit on the balcony and people watch, and we could see the fireworks from our balcony too! :)

Make sure to price out hotel and tickets separately. It's often cheaper.

Our standard room view was of the parking lot looking out onto the Paradise Pier Hotel. We still think the GCH is the best.

We also think the Grand Californian is the best if you can swing it. We have had many views.

Jack

DH and I stayed for our anniversary and loved every minute of it. We had a standard room and our overlooked a courtyard and you could see the monorail. It was worth every penny and more to have such a nicely themed resort and be just steps from the parks. We will be going back sometime this year for sure! Have fun!

I've had mostly standard rooms. This was before they made courtyard a higher tier--it used to be part of the standard room level and you could request it as such. I usually got courtyard but occasionally, parking lot view.

In October, we decided to try a premium view room. We had a nice view of GRR. In December, my sister and I had a premium view room with a pool view.

I've also stayed concierge (standard view).

What I discovered is that the view doesn't matter much at all to me as I rarely pay much attention to it! I'd much rather be close to the elevators than looking out at the pool :rotfl:, so next time I will likely go back to standard view and ask for a certain wing I like that has easy access to the pool, restaurants, lobby, and CA. If I were to upgrade, it would be to concierge and not a premium view, but concierge is pretty pricey.

Thank you all for your insights. I feel much more comfortable going with a standard view now that I have heard others thoughts. I'm hoping that since the vacation package does state that their definition of a standard view is a view of the courtyard or pool, that they just have different terms for the room views than the hotel. And if not, since we're going in the off season I can always ask for a small upgrade if one is available.

Now just the few days of agony waiting to see if my hubby can get the time off or not so that I can actually book it!

Aby

I loved our standard rooms. I thought the pool view was great, even though views don't really matter to me. Have a great vacation!

We had a standard room, we had a DTD view. It was really fun but we didn't spend that much time in the room. That said, I would definitely stay there again because it felt really good. :) I'd book the standard room, then when you check in see if any upgrades are available, you might get lucky and a park view room. :)

Just wanted to thank everyone again who helped. I went ahead and booked us for the GCH in a standard room for a week in Feb! We are so excited!!!

Aby

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter