• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

GC and OBC

carcam51

Mouseketeer
I have $600.00 Disney gift cards I want to apply to my OBC - is there a way to enter them online?

Someone on this board claims you can but I don't know if that is only if there is no TA involved. I had to email my TA about a dozen gift cards to pay the balance of my cruise, prepay tips, and add insurance. I asked her to add anything extra to my onboard account but she told me to take the extra to guest services. I don't know why and didn't ask.

Luckily I then learned that I probably should save the gift cards because you can't charge an OBB to your shipboard account. Boy they make everything so confusing.

Not sure about pre-paying (although would think there is a way), but once you get on the ship, you can take them to Guest Services (the "front desk") and they will immediately apply them. When we were on the Fantasy a couple of weeks ago, we had both a Disney VISA rewards card (to redeem our points) as well as a VISA debit/gift card that we received as a gift, and the front desk was able to apply both to our account immediately. I took them down at different points during the cruise (for no particular reason), and when I took the rewards card down, they had already charged our credit card for everything done through that day, but applied the rewards card to our account and credited my credit card for the same amount. With the debit card (much smaller amount), they simply applied it to the account, so we had a credit (for about 15 minutes until we hit the gift shop...again!).

In other words, unless there is a good reason for doing it ahead of time, it will only take you a few minutes to get them applied to your account once you're on board.

Okay I just didn't want to be standing in line to apply them. I don't have a TA so I wondered if I could apply then before leaving just to simplify. I will still take them with me just to be safe!!!

Someone on this board claims you can but I don't know if that is only if there is no TA involved. I had to email my TA about a dozen gift cards to pay the balance of my cruise, prepay tips, and add insurance. I asked her to add anything extra to my onboard account but she told me to take the extra to guest services. I don't know why and didn't ask.

Luckily I then learned that I probably should save the gift cards because you can't charge an OBB to your shipboard account. Boy they make everything so confusing.

That's odd because we have done this before with a TA.

If you call dcl. They take them over the phone before your cruise if you don't have a TA. It takes some time but it is worth it.

That's odd because we have done this before with a TA.

Right. She didn't say she couldn't do it. She just basically told me to do it myself. I had about $300 left. But like I said, I'm actually glad she didn't because I'm saving that for an OBB deposit which I didn't know could not be charged to your account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter