Gay Day?

ECurto said:
Speaking as "one of them" id have to say its "us" who cant stand seeing you "heteros" kissing during firworks, or holding hands while you walk down main street, or showing affection during a meal. I mean really the way nobody cares is appauling! God forbid I wanted to do that, id get every billy bob and his wife/sister making a comment while pulling their kids away. Any idea when we can go to avoid that. Oh and p.s. its DISNEY... like 70% of the company is gay ... HELLO!!!!

I think you are being mean. :confused3 or maybe I am not understanding your humor. I read the entire posts and didn't think anyone was being nasty or rude towards gays.

I understand where the poster is coming from by asking. I am not sure where many of you live, but I never see same sex individuals kissing and holding hands and I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan. Anyway, sometimes when you have young children you have to consider someone else's feelings besides your own. I think the rest of the posters have been very helpful.

We've also been twice @ this time and haven't noticed anything really, but I do agree with one of the post above about clothing at the parks, it is sometimes unbelievable what you see. My daughters saw more underwear do the boys all wearing their pants so low their belts were around their legs! Oh how I want to tell them to pull their pants up! And not to leave out the women, with their scantly clad clothing, I just tell my girls they are getting the wrong kind of attention! :rolleyes2

Sparticus said:
I plan on keeping my family away from the swim day at Typhoon Lagoon though because of the pictures of previous days on their web site. Speedo clad men are just not my cup of tea.

I had to laugh when I read this. My BF is French (long distance relationship---he lives in Paris) and we went to WDW last year. I made a point of telling him that Americans do not usually wear Speedos for recreational swimming and that he had to obtain a pair of modest swim trunks. He was confused, but complied with my wishes. As one of the other posters said, Speedos are very common in Europe and are found on ALL body types.

I'm gay and do not care for PDAs and provacative clothing. I have never been to Gay Days, but I did see some attire among young (presumably straight but who knows) men and women at WDW that gave me pause. Some guys also need to cover up their raunchy tattoos. I stopped going to my local amusement parks because they have water and swim sections and people seem to take that as a sign that they can parade in their skimpy swimwear all day long.

TAKitty-
You said, "sometimes when you have young children you have to consider someone else's feelings besides your own". This is exactly the mentality that upsets gays and anyone supportive of differences. You are treating them like something that needs to be hidden from the children. You may not have many "out" gays in Ann Arbor, but it would be wise of you to not shelter your kids since this is the real world and the earlier you educate them, the less ignorant they will be as adults. You'd be really suprised how well kids handle that kind of thing---it is usually the adults who teach the kids to be judgemental. My three boys know that there are men who love men and women who love women and they honestly could care less. But I certainly did not want them growing up being ignorant of an entire culture in the USA. Just be careful of the subliminal messages you are sending your kids when you "shield" them from people different from themselves.

ntengwall said:
TAKitty-
You said, "sometimes when you have young children you have to consider someone else's feelings besides your own". This is exactly the mentality that upsets gays and anyone supportive of differences. You are treating them like something that needs to be hidden from the children. You may not have many "out" gays in Ann Arbor, but it would be wise of you to not shelter your kids since this is the real world and the earlier you educate them, the less ignorant they will be as adults. You'd be really suprised how well kids handle that kind of thing---it is usually the adults who teach the kids to be judgemental. My three boys know that there are men who love men and women who love women and they honestly could care less. But I certainly did not want them growing up being ignorant of an entire culture in the USA. Just be careful of the subliminal messages you are sending your kids when you "shield" them from people different from themselves.

:thumbsup2

I totally agree. I can't believe the number of people who say, "I'm not ready to have that talk with my kids." What talk?? You mean the talk about love? I think they understand more about love than adults do.

"TAKitty" I’m sorry you didn’t understand my humor. I assure you I was speaking in jest. I simply meant that it’s funny to me that so many parents come on these boards to “fearfully” find out what their children are going to see on gay days. This upsets me b/c if I wanted to show ANY sort of affection to my partner at Disney I get stares, people pointing, laughing, whispering etc. Its heart breaking. Just once id like to hold Kirks hand during fireworks… oh and I mean not during the 1 weekend a year when people are nationally made aware ill be there. Speaking from a psychologists (my profession) standpoint, guarding or not exposing your children to things is what will do the real damage. Most children want to be like their parents, and learn from them. So if you explain to them (preferably without out your own prejudices) about same sex couples they will understand. Why does it have to be any more complex then “they love each other” or “sometime boys and girls fall in love, some times two boys or two girls do”. I know we live in a time where church and state are not separated (as much as they should be) and I also know that there are gay people out there who will go over board and play to the stereotype and confirm your “fears”. Understand these people are the extreme, just as there is an extreme to any group of people. Bottom line is love is love. Teach your kids about love and not about the package it comes in, and you’ll raise well adjusted loving children of your own.

Is that going to be June 3rd? Can you tell me? That is the day we are arriving. Please let me know. Thanks.

One of these years this is going to be a non-issue, and we will just worry about HUMANS, not their personal choices, and human behavior in general, not just those of whom we "disapprove". :confused3

My dh and I have always treated being gay or straight a non-issue, just like the color of one's skin, their religious preference, where they chose to live .. I could go on and on.

Have a great trip whatever you decide to do and you got lots of great advice and avenues to research it more. :)

I refrained from getting into a whole lot of dialogwe as the moderator advised to stick to the question, but couldn't let the bathing suit comment go unaddressed. But I am glad that several people spoke up on the issue of tolerance and acceptance being modeled to children. We had that so called "talk" with our dks when they were 3, because they asked why several of their friends didn't have a mommy. The "talk" lasted all of one line, "because they have 2 daddys who love them and each other." My dks had a harder time understanding about divorce and single parenthood. ("you mean the parents love each other and then they hate each other?", is what my oldest son asked. That concept seemed to disturb him, whereas having to same sex parents did not phase them in the least. Our dks are also adopted, so they have lots of questions about what defines a family. They at the tender ages of 4,5,6 have a great deal of knowledge about the different kinds of familys there are. The hardest thing I am dealing with now is how to help them understand children at school who steal, say and do terribly mean things and act in ways that are not safe or kind (like eating crayons, biting.....) I have found children to be remarkably understanding and forgiving. As other posters said, they pick up their judgement from adults. My parents were in the arts, so I grew up learning about differences from my parents. They also taught me that it is much easier to love than to hate. Hate takes such a negative toll on one's life......It is like an infection.

we live in Florida as well, close to you. as a tourist destination, we see people from all over the world on the beaches and in the parks practicing different behaviors. we've been to WDW during gay days and have never seen anything approaching the behavior as 'good old USA teens'. we're lucky enough to live close so you can visit anytime. just don't go during that week. I'm more freaked out by the way some people dress during star wars weekends. :)

ECurto said:
Speaking as "one of them" id have to say its "us" who cant stand seeing you "heteros" kissing during firworks, or holding hands while you walk down main street, or showing affection during a meal. I mean really the way nobody cares is appauling! God forbid I wanted to do that, id get every billy bob and his wife/sister making a comment while pulling their kids away. Any idea when we can go to avoid that. Oh and p.s. its DISNEY... like 70% of the company is gay ... HELLO!!!!

You posted this so I can respond. I think what you wrote about billy bob and his wife/sister is very insulting. Do you mean Southeners? Of course you do. You should be ashamed of yourself for that stereotypical insult, even if it was a lame attempt at humor.

OY! C'mon, folks. Maybe if we can be a little slower to take offense this thread could continue on a somewhat constructive path.

That said, I lived near Ann Arbor for nearly 30 years and if you don't see men holding hands with men and women holding hands with women, frankly, you aren't looking. I have never once shopped at the local mall or spend an hour at Good Food Co. without seeing it left, right and center. Ann Arbor is one of the more tolerant (and acitve) cities in Michigan (I've lived all over the state), and no one bats and eye at couples acting like couples. :rolleyes:

Looks like the OP's question about crowd levels has been answered and this is becoming an off topic topic. Bumping to a more appropriate board if you'd like to continue the 'debate'.

SamRoc said:
You posted this so I can respond. I think what you wrote about billy bob and his wife/sister is very insulting. Do you mean Southeners? Of course you do. You should be ashamed of yourself for that stereotypical insult, even if it was a lame attempt at humor.

I need to say respectfully that Southerners are not an oppressed group of people, so it is difficult for me to understand that level of anger. Jeff Foxworthy uses rednecks as the basis for his career as a comedian, and got away with it, I suspect in part because rednecks are not oppressed. Gays on the other hand, are often treated by many, as pariahs and are targeted through violence, politics and other forms of discrimination. I am straight, and have no agenda other than keeping things fair. I was far more offended by the tone of the posts that were isolating their children from any contact with one type of person-that to me is stereotyping, as the acquaintances and friends I know are as diverse as any other population. I hope this does not get shut down, as I think this is important dialogue and every bit as relevant here than any other topic, if not more so. Maybe it will get moved to another board. I hope you will not be angry, Samroc, for those of us that disagree.....

ECurto said:
"TAKitty" I’m sorry you didn’t understand my humor. I assure you I was speaking in jest. I simply meant that it’s funny to me that so many parents come on these boards to “fearfully” find out what their children are going to see on gay days. This upsets me b/c if I wanted to show ANY sort of affection to my partner at Disney I get stares, people pointing, laughing, whispering etc. Its heart breaking. Just once id like to hold Kirks hand during fireworks… oh and I mean not during the 1 weekend a year when people are nationally made aware ill be there. Speaking from a psychologists (my profession) standpoint, guarding or not exposing your children to things is what will do the real damage. Most children want to be like their parents, and learn from them. So if you explain to them (preferably without out your own prejudices) about same sex couples they will understand. Why does it have to be any more complex then “they love each other” or “sometime boys and girls fall in love, some times two boys or two girls do”. I know we live in a time where church and state are not separated (as much as they should be) and I also know that there are gay people out there who will go over board and play to the stereotype and confirm your “fears”. Understand these people are the extreme, just as there is an extreme to any group of people. Bottom line is love is love. Teach your kids about love and not about the package it comes in, and you’ll raise well adjusted loving children of your own.

Do what Joe and I do during Illuminations. Stand there, next to all the other married coules, and hold hands. Anyone has a problem with it, they can find some other place to stand because we don't budge.

But frankly, we're not overly affectionate in public anyway, whether in WDW or walking through Greenwich Village in NYC. However, I do, from time to time, get a bit swept away at the emotion that I feel while at Disney, particularly during their fireworks presentations. And that's usually when I grab Joe's hand, or he sees me in complete awe of the spectacle in front of me and he puts his hand on my shoulder.

In any case, back to the original topic at hand, I've heard more stories about absolutely nothing that happens during gay days than I have otherwise. Sure, a couple of folks have reported two men stealing a smooch, but big deal. It's the 21st century and absolutely and completely a fact of life folks.

Nevertheless, just also wanted to say that Joe and I avoid that time of year and will never go to Gay Days for a couple of reasons, two of which are it's just too hot and crowded! The other is that we live in NYC and don't feel the need to go out of our way to another party of the country to validate our relationship or to feel camarederie with like minded men and women. However, there are millions of other gay men and women that don't have that luxury due to where they live. so I think it's a cool option should they choose to participate in Gay Days, whether at WDW or anywhere else.

There is this whole sterotype that if you have a group of gays in one place at once, then someone will be having sex right in front of your eyes and make you join. Not the case. I have been to both Universal and MK during those events and while there were a few cases of hand holding and PDA's the most part people behanved like adults, not "horned up" teenagers. And who cares about hand holding or a little kiss? Its not going to "warp" your childrens heads. But what will is teaching them that its okay to judge people based on who they hold hands with. We live next door to a gay couple and they have become very good friends of ours, always coming over and having us to dinner, hanging out on the weekends, and yes even going to the theme parks with us, which they will be this weekend for EE. And yes, we have kids, and no we dont shelter them from our neighbors. It just really gets under my skin to see that though most parents preach equality to all, they really dont believe in it! It's all one life that we live, and we all go the same way home, so why not just get along and accept people for the people they are.....teach acceptance, and practice it to...and not just of gay people. Skin color, religous beliefs, disabilities and height/weight. Remember this? Like a person for who they are, not what they are.

The way I look at it there are PDA's and there are overt sexual actions. PDA's are holding hands, short kisses (no tounges) hugs and arms around shoulders. I don't think any of those things need to be explained, its love and affection. Overt sexuals actions are checking for someones tonsils with your tounge, grabing something that should not be grabbed in public or hands inside the shirt or pants. Either of these activities can be committed by straight people or Gay people. In either group the former is quite alright and should cause no problems, as for the latter activities all I can say is "get a room!" Personally I feel that so many people are put off by the idea of Gays because it seems that 99% of the things we see in media about Gays are the more overt things. I don't care if you are Gay, Straight, or have a thing for animals I don't want to see it at WDW, or any other place for that matter. As a family we have been at WDW during Gay days on several occasions and have had no problems what so ever. We tend to have more incidents during non Gay days with straight couples going over the line.

SamRoc said:

Yes it was a lame joke. I should not have used that as an example. I’m was typing emotionally. I also don’t think its on the level as to what we are talking about, but if you felt offended, im sorry.

Joe & Rick… I agree we will never do gay days for 1. the heat, and 2. the validation. Although funny story, once I pretended to be blind so people wouldn’t think it odd that we would hold hands when we walked in Disney… funny…yet sad. Lol

ECurto said:
Although funny story, once I pretended to be blind so people wouldn’t think it odd that we would hold hands when we walked in Disney… funny…yet sad. Lol

OH....MY....GOD....!!!! :rotfl2:

By the way Eric, I know we PM'ed a while back about meeting up sometime. You guys are on Long Island right? Valentine is in Brooklyn and we're in Queens. We should definitely set something up! Couple of other folks (gay and not so much) want to meet up as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter