Gatwick by Train?

diddldonna

Disney crazy :)
Has anyone traveled to Gatwick by train, was it easy to do and any advice.

We are planning traveling from Great Yarmouth to Gatwick.

Going down night before flight and doing twilight checkin and staying at travel lodge gatwick maybe.

Flight home lands at in morning.

My in-laws did it a few years ago as they live in Caister-on-Sea and didn't want that long drive home after a night flight. They found it pretty easy and they are (or were then) both in their 60s.

I can ask them for more details if you want.

My in-laws did it a few years ago as they live in Caister-on-Sea and didn't want that long drive home after a night flight. They found it pretty easy and they are (or were then) both in their 60s.

I can ask them for more details if you want.

That would be a great help, thank you.

Just wondering how difficult it will be with luggage.

Might be worth looking at taxi cost also,moor our tip next month a return taxi was only 20 pounds more than 4 adult return train tickets, might not be the case always but worth a look?

we live in east yorkshire but fly from gatwick often. the train is very easy and gets you right into the airport.
Let me know if you need more info :)

we are thinking on going by train this year we moved back up to scotland this month from the east coast england and its working out to be the cheaper option, unless any one can find cheap flights from glasgow :)

Train to Gatwick is really easy, station to check-in desks only about 5 mins. Lifts from platforms for cases etc.:)

Make sure you buy a ticket which allows you to get a relatively flexible return (i.e. not a specified train) in case your return flight home is delayed.

At current prices it's about £60 return (if booked in advance) and that is for any off-peak train, so on your landing if its in rush hour you'd have to wait until after 0930 to get on the train at gatwick, but its either that or £120 for an anytime return!!!

4 changes and 5 hours going to gatwick, 3 changes and 4 hours coming back thanks to the scheduling!! Bear in mind this (and the cost) may be different by the time you go, and you can only book up to about 60 days out, so you'll have to wait a bit before confirming.

Out: Yarmouth, Norwich, Cambridge, Kings Cross, walk over to St Pancras, Gatwick.

In: Gatwick, Farringdon, (tube to) Liverpool Street, Norwich, Yarmouth

HTH :goodvibes

We travelled by train this summer and it was fine.

We live in East Kent so travelled on the high speed train to St Pancras then got the train to Gatwick. Our trains were quite busy but still enough room for our luggage (there were 4 adults). There are lifts as mentioned before but we managed without them as I am scared of lifts.

We also stayed at the Gatwick Central Travelodge, although we did not do the Twilight check in. The bus to the hotel was prompt and cost £3 single and we had breakfast at the airport.

Would certainly travel this way in the future, hope this helps.

I have booked the train for me and kids from Swindon to gatwick paid £9.80 for advance single for 1 adult and 3 kids we are meeting at gatwick as he has to work till late so easier for us and fun for the kids

We're booked via trains as well.

I would be around a 3 hour drive otherwise and I'm just not doing that!

We're driving to my mum's in Leicester in the morning, quick cuppa then they're dropping us off at the train station.

We go from Leicester > St Pancreas, then St Pancreas > Gatwick so only one change which is a big bonus with 3 excited children (they would have only been told a few hours earlier that we're going!).

Ours cost just over £100 for all 5 of us, with an open return in case of any delays on the way back.

Our hotel will send a taxi to gatwick to collect us too :D We'll then get a taxi the next morning to gatwick (about a 5 minute drive) to check in! :D

sounds like a great option - and from a cost point of view if you drive you have to pay for parking for 2 weeks :thumbsup2

We're booked via trains as well.

I would be around a 3 hour drive otherwise and I'm just not doing that!

We're driving to my mum's in Leicester in the morning, quick cuppa then they're dropping us off at the train station.

We go from Leicester > St Pancreas, then St Pancreas > Gatwick so only one change which is a big bonus with 3 excited children (they would have only been told a few hours earlier that we're going!).

Ours cost just over £100 for all 5 of us, with an open return in case of any delays on the way back.

Our hotel will send a taxi to gatwick to collect us too :D We'll then get a taxi the next morning to gatwick (about a 5 minute drive) to check in! :D

It may be easier with young children to change trains at Bedford - not so busy, only 5 platforms. However no lifts so you may need to carry cases up & down stairs.:)

We book our tickets using RedSpottyHanky, you can trade in Tesco Clubcard vouchers using them if that helps.

My family and I use the train from South Wales to Gatwick, we use a Gatwick flyer ticket which is a fixed price and you have a open ended ticket, we have to take proof of flight to get it but works out a lot cheaper of us

Consider the family nd friends railcard £26 (i think) for a year 1/3 off adults and £1 for kids. Gatwick is a direct journey for us 45 mins on the train our return home was about £20.

A quick check now shows our family journey as costing £38 for for a single back from gatwick or £21 with the family and friends.

Groupsave also offers good savings -we recently paid £44 for 3 adults and 2 kids with underground to London return (for a day trip) Would have been over £80 without

Make sure you check! + quidco do 1.5% cash back on the train line (I book all my business travel via it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter