Gators or snakes: Ever been seen at Grand Floridian??

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Swirly girls, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Bell30012

Bell30012 DIS Veteran

We were on Tom Sawyer Island a few years back when someone screamed that there was an alligator. They had all the guests get down where the boats land and in no time flat three guys got that sucker. They had to be close by because they were there in minutes. The lead guy fancied himself Crocodile Dundee. He had the hat and rugged look but not the accent. He talked to all the kids and told jokes.

He told us that they had been hunting that alligator every morning for a week. He said no one could spot it. But then Rope Drop and the first guests on the island looking for paint brushes and he would come out.

You know why that alligator had to leave? He didn't buy a ticket! Kids were laughing like crazy. Everyone got pins and his autograph.

At Grand Floridian we saw a small non-poisonous snake being removed by a cast member from the area by the workout center.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. deserrai

deserrai DIS Veteran

Thanks for the education. I've lived in Florida my entire life and I find all of this very interesting. I don't want to buddy up with a snake, but I find it fascinating to watch them. My fear of them is always that I will step on one without seeing it. I have heard before that they will just go still and not bother you unless you bother it so I try to be careful where I step.

4. webby3

webby3 Earning My Ears

Fascinating thread - back in 2007 I was staying at WL. I was out running early morning and saw a small gator towards Fort Wilderness.....I thought it was so cool...then I remembered 2 days later I was doing a triathlon with the swim in Bay Lake.

I'm still here though :)

5. tinawv

tinawv If I had a penny for everytime I wished to be in W

During our stay at PO-Riverside last August, we saw a medium length snake at the quiet pool while swimming one night. Also, my daughter was walking our granddaughter back from the foodcourt one evening when when she ran ahead of her into the bushes along the walkway. She went to grab her and there was a baby snake on her shoulder, which she brushed off rather quickly. That was the last time my granddaughter ran away from her - lol.

6. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

For safety reasons I would suggest if you go for a late night swim or early morning and the pool has been empty for a while, check the pool before entering.

Some times the critters do show up when it gets quiet. ::yes::

7. tlkgt76

tlkgt76 "If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

Actually, if you look on YouTube, there are several videos of gators in various bodies of water. Disney takes care of them before they get too big though.

The following has an interesting picture of a gator in one of the bathrooms.

http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/forum/alligators-disney-property

This is one of the videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MIKzvlcp8

8. tlkgt76

tlkgt76 "If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

:rotfl2:

9. smiths02

smiths02 DIS Veteran

Not the GF, but we saw a copperhead on the walking path at CBR.

10. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Didn't read all the replies but I'm sure it's been mentioned that the WDW grounds are a protected area so gators and snakes are around and are removed if they become a danger. I've heard about an alligator in the MK parking lot and have seen a gator at POR. I also read a story about a boy who was bitten by a water moccasin snake in the bushes at POR and had to be hospitalized.

11. SunnyP4Disney

SunnyP4Disney Mouseketeer

We were at MK about 2 months ago, riding the train. We came around the turn from Space Mtn, heading towards Main Street Station and you can see a retention pond near the small restricted CM parking lot where the guard gate is. There was a HUGE gator sunning on the bank. I was shocked he was just chilling like a villain with nobody coming to "relocate" him. we rode the train twice just to see him again. I am a born and raised Floridian and love gators, but I was surprised one that large (he was a good 7+ feet) was left to his own devices.

12. AuroraMeansDawn

AuroraMeansDawn DIS Veteran

There was one seriously mean and nasty six-foot snake in a room DH and I shared with my sister and her husband in a second floor room at POR back when it was still Dixie Landings....

Fortunately my sister divorced that one though and we've not seen one at WDW since. :thumbsup2

13. WEDWDW

WEDWDW DIS Veteran

My Favorite WDW wildlife are the Otters in Bay Lake.:)

14. LovinPooh

LovinPooh DIS Veteran

Hahahahahahaha good one ;)

15. disney777

disney777 DIS Veteran

I saw an small (maybe 3 ft?) alligator in the water near the Flametree BBQ seating area. That section where you can look across the water at EE.

I saw a snake slither in EPCOT France from the "maze" garden to the benches towards the fountain next to Chefs de France restaurant. A castmember quickly stepped in and got it into a bag with the help of a broom. 2 women sitting on a bench had no idea it was heading towards them. Boy, did they move quick when all the gasps alerted them to the snake.
    The castmember was very nonchalant about it, the whole scene was over in minutes.
    I think I read somewhere that Disney will remove an alligator when it reaches 5 feet???

16. RSADP

RSADP Mouseketeer

When the plane starts landing we are all squishing our faces against the window to try spot gators in the waters on the way down. :-)

17. mickey2000

mickey2000 Pin trader

Here is a baby 2 ft.one under my car one night at the GF ! Saw it as I approached my car and thought it was a cat ? Very fast !

[​IMG]:rotfl:

18. LovinPooh

LovinPooh DIS Veteran

Woulda peed my pants if that ran under my car lol!
    Very very cool ;)

19. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

yes where there are babies, there is a mama. ::yes::

20. LauraJean

LauraJean Mouseketeer

Ack on this thread ! I did read about a boy getting a bite from a snake in 2009 not long before our trip. I wouldn't let my kids even step in grass or touch flowers or the like. I was a wreck. Where I live we don't even have grass snakes let alone one that could kill us. For some reason a gator doesn't freak me out. Spiders and Snakes they are more like to hide and surprise me where as a gator who could eat us I'd prob see. I'll never complain about 7 foot snow banks and snow on the ground in May at times ever again!

21. mum2four

mum2four DIS Veteran

We saw a snake in the pool at SOG a few years ago. I can tell you it was big and black, but I didn't get close enough to see it any better than that! Two guys were working on getting it out and it took them quite a while to catch it. That taught me to always check the pool before getting in!:thumbsup2