Gate Checking & Connecting Flights (Delta)

jacobsDISNEYmama

Earning My Ears
Just curious for those who have flown Delta, I am planning to gate check both my car seat and stroller. Will they have both ready for me between my connecting flights? I would rather do this extra effort to have them there instead of them losing one of them on the way to MCO. Thanks in advance.

You will have them with you during your layover. What happens is this:

When you get to the gate, ask the gate agent for gate check tags.
When you board the aircraft, you take the bags with you down the jetway and leave them just before entering the aircraft(at the end of the jetway).
After each flight, when you get off the plane, exit the plane, but do not walk up the jetway until the bags are given back to you.

Note: This is the procedure at 99% of airports and airlines, but specific flights may vary slightly.

When you get to the gate, ask the gate agent for gate check tags.
Stressing this, as in please don't wait until it's time to board :). The tags have fields to complete, so you'll want to do that while you wait as well.

Also, while jackal24 refers to bags (vs. stroller/carseat), it is possible any gate-checked luggage will, instead of being returned to the jetway, be sent to baggage claim with the rest of the luggage. Best way to avoid this is to only carry on what will fit under the seat in front of you.

... it is possible any gate-checked luggage will, instead of being returned to the jetway, be sent to baggage claim with the rest of the luggage. ...
OT: But if this is at a connection point (notice the thread title), can you expect the airline to get your baggage to your destination while you head directly to the gate of your next flight?

OT: But if this is at a connection point, can you expect the airline to get your baggage to your destination while you head directly to the gate of your next flight?

Yes, if luggage is gate checked (for example the overheads are full), it is ticketed to your final destination. You cannot pick it up at your connection. Strollers will be brought up to the jetway at the connection. Not sure about car seats.

Thanks everyone. I have read that strollers should be brought back to the jetway, but I'm hoping car seats will too. We didn't buy a ticket for DS1 but my understanding is that if there's an empty seat, they will allow us to bring it onboard. In case there's no empty seat on 1st flight, I'm hoping there still would be a chance on the connecting. Anyone have experience with that?

Last time I was forced to gate-check luggage (no overhead compartments, just shelves) and was promised it would arrive at my destination with me - they lied. Not just to me, but to all the passengers whose luggage was supposed to be placed inside the luggage/cargo area.

Of course, this was after the airline lied about the reason for the extreme delay at connecting airports - snow in Boston on what turned out to be a 100% clear, precipitation-free night.

We didn't buy a ticket for DS1 but my understanding is that if there's an empty seat, they will allow us to bring it onboard. In case there's no empty seat on 1st flight, I'm hoping there still would be a chance on the connecting. Anyone have experience with that?
Please don't expect this. If you want your child to have a seat, please purchase a ticket. Many airlines will not allow an unticketed* passenger to occupy a seat; some will but only if there is seating available for every single unticketed passenger. Also please don't expect someone to move to a different empty seat to accommodate your wish to put your son in his carseat if you did not pay for a seat for him.
And please don't attempt to make that passenger's ride difficult or uncomfortable if they refuse to comply.

*unticketed = child under age two

Yes, if luggage is gate checked (for example the overheads are full), it is ticketed to your final destination. You cannot pick it up at your connection. Strollers will be brought up to the jetway at the connection. Not sure about car seats.

Not true (at least not in my experience).

I've always picked up gate-checked luggage at my connecting airport. Which have included Chicago, Newark, and Calgary (and possibly others, I am not remembering).

Not true (at least not in my experience).

I've always picked up gate-checked luggage at my connecting airport. Which have included Chicago, Newark, and Calgary (and possibly others, I am not remembering).

If you gate checked luggage because it's an RJ with limited overhead space (rollaboards will not fit), they will bring it to you at your connecting airport.

The fullsize jet flights I've been on recently have announced that the overheads are full and luggage will be gate checked to your final destination.

If you gate checked luggage because it's an RJ with limited overhead space (rollaboards will not fit), they will bring it to you at your connecting airport.

The fullsize jet flights I've been on recently have announced that the overheads are full and luggage will be gate checked to your final destination.

Which brings up this question. If you have to gate check an allowable suitcase because the overheads are full are you required to pay the luggage check fee? ($15.00 AirTran)

Last time I was forced to gate-check luggage (no overhead compartments, just shelves) and was promised it would arrive at my destination with me - they lied. Not just to me, but to all the passengers whose luggage was supposed to be placed inside the luggage/cargo area.

Of course, this was after the airline lied about the reason for the extreme delay at connecting airports - snow in Boston on what turned out to be a 100% clear, precipitation-free night.

Please don't expect this. If you want your child to have a seat, please purchase a ticket. Many airlines will not allow an unticketed* passenger to occupy a seat; some will but only if there is seating available for every single unticketed passenger. Also please don't expect someone to move to a different empty seat to accommodate your wish to put your son in his carseat if you did not pay for a seat for him.
And please don't attempt to make that passenger's ride difficult or uncomfortable if they refuse to comply.

*unticketed = child under age two

kaytieeldr: what airline did you fly on? i dont expect that there will be a free seat, but our delta agent notified us that if there was indeed an empty seat (in our aisle), our son can occupy it with his car seat. it's not extremely important for him to have one, but if there is one, i wouldn't mind. i would never expect other passengers to accommodate my needs, that's selfish and rude.

everyone else who responded who have been giving different answers, i'm curious to know what airline you took.

When you check in at your home airport ask the ticketing agent if there are seats available on your departing flight. If there aren't any seats (or very few) on your originating flight I would just check the car seat. Realize that car seats need to be placed in the window seat. More than likely the only empty seats will be a random scattering of middle seats and no one is going to willingly move to a middle seat so your unticketed child can have a window seat.

Your best option is for you and your DH to book an aisle and window leaving the middle open. Hopefully you will have the row to your family.

Don't expect empty seats, especially from one destination airport (SAN) to another destination airport (MCO) via a major hub (ATL - if you're on DL). There just aren't half empty planes flying around anymore. Check the carseat with your regular luggage (there is no charge to check it) and gate check the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter