Gate check stroller

Mine was. It was probably a combination of wear and tear (4year old) and flight damage. It wasn't anything major and it still worked all week, but the mechanism that opens and closes the stroller broke. Quite the pain if you didn't realize it before getting on a bus.

We'll be renting next time, it'll make life easier.

I haven't personally had any issues, but we have a friend who is a flight attendant who says that strollers get broken regularly on flights even when they are gate checked, which according to her is better than checking it.

We have been using our same Maclaren Triumph umbrella stroller for almost 10 years now. My oldest has been to WDW about 20 times and all but 2 trips we did not use that stroller (he was old enough to walk and younger DS was not born yet). We fly every trip so that is 2 flights a trip so at least 36 separate flights where we have gate checked that same stroller with NO damage. Either we are extremely lucky or the stroller is a complete tank because it is still going strong.

The foam handle was ripped off our umbrella stroller.

Same for us.

Another family on our flight had one of their stroller wheels literally sheared in half. A clean cut through--have no idea how that could have happened. Needless to say, the stroller was unable to "stroll" at all!

Same for us.

Another family on our flight had one of their stroller wheels literally sheared in half. A clean cut through--have no idea how that could have happened. Needless to say, the stroller was unable to "stroll" at all!

Oh my goodness. That's crazy!

I've seen people use the gate check stroller bags too. Not sure if those help or not.

stroller has made 10 trips - Chariot CX2 - it's heavy, steel frame construction - no issues at all

also big and great for clearing a path at WDW

Now I'm nervous. We just bought a new baby jogger city mini. The last think we need is for it to get wrecked before we even get to use it. Should we check it at the ticket counter instead?

Now I'm nervous. We just bought a new baby jogger city mini. The last think we need is for it to get wrecked before we even get to use it. Should we check it at the ticket counter instead?

I would still gate check it. I've had many more items destroyed by checking at the counter compared to gate checking.

We got the Stroller check bag and love it, it protects the stroller from stains and has handles on it so they can lift with that instead of stroller handle. When I got the bag I turned it inside out and duct taped all the seams to give it more strengthen. On the plus side of using the bag we can throw our extra stuff it in like our light jackets in there instead of packing them and even a pool noodle!!

I'd gate-checked ours with zero issues for years. Both a graco and a Phil & Ted double.

We got the Stroller check bag and love it, it protects the stroller from stains and has handles on it so they can lift with that instead of stroller handle. When I got the bag I turned it inside out and duct taped all the seams to give it more strengthen. On the plus side of using the bag we can throw our extra stuff it in like our light jackets in there instead of packing them and even a pool noodle!!

You should be warned that packing other items besides a stroller into a gate checked stroller bag is not allowed. You face the (admittedly small) risk of having to remove these and carry on the plane.

We gate checked a Kelty framed backpack carrier a couple of times and it survived with no damage. And as mentioned above, the bag made for great additional storage for diapers and lightweight soft items.

Look into whether or not the airlines will pay for damage to a checked stroller, that may help you make a decision.

One thing I saw another family do once that I thought was absolute genius was to wrap the stroller in that clear stretchy packing film, the commercial type you buy at Staples to bundle packages, its like saran wrap. The dad folded the stroller and wrapped the entire thing in seconds. I complimented him on his clever idea and he said they never had a problem because the stroller 1) no longer had any parts to "catch" on belts, other bags, etc and 2) there was no danger of the stroller unfolding and getting weirdly crushed and bent out of shape.

One thing I saw another family do once that I thought was absolute genius was to wrap the stroller in that clear stretchy packing film, the commercial type you buy at Staples to bundle packages, its like saran wrap. The dad folded the stroller and wrapped the entire thing in seconds. I complimented him on his clever idea and he said they never had a problem because the stroller 1) no longer had any parts to "catch" on belts, other bags, etc and 2) there was no danger of the stroller unfolding and getting weirdly crushed and bent out of shape.

That is such a great idea! Love it!

I would still gate check it. I've had many more items destroyed by checking at the counter compared to gate checking.

Agreed, it's even worse when you check it at the counter ime, there's even more time and opportunity for it to get banged around.

Purchased a new umbrella stroller with more features than the cheap $20 ones for Disneyland. It was fine on our flight to CA. On our return flight it was damaged, the wheels were completely broken off with no way to fix it. Apparently southwest is supposed to have you sign something saying they aren't liable for damage when you gate check & I wasn't given anything to sign. I had to file a claim but southwest bought Me a new stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter