1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Gasoline?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by SleepyDeb, Jan 26, 2013.

1. SleepyDeb

SleepyDeb Mouseketeer

Just got off the Fantasy this morning and rented a car to go to downtown Disney. Need to get gas before we go to MCO in about 2 hours. Heard gas very near MCO is silly expensive. Any recommendations ?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

The gas station nearest MCO on Semoran is VERY outrageous. If you drive beyond that about 1/2-3/4 miles you will come to stations with "normal" prices.

4. Magic3forme

Magic3forme Grand Slam club members

when you see a gas station with no price listed... just keep driving and there are plenty 1-2 minutes further up the road!! :)

5. JacksGirlz

JacksGirlz DIS Veteran

I frequently fill up at Downtown Disney then go directly to MCO to drop off my rental and have never been charged for additional gas. The gas gauge is still on Full. I do usually rent smaller cars, though, no gas guzzlers.

6. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

These stations are now required by the City of Orlando to post their prices.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

7. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Just today there was an article about this.

It's a bit late for the OP, but we liked the price at the 7-11 off of the Beachline at Tradeport and Conway. Seriously close to the airport.

8. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

What does silly expensive mean? So what if they charge 30 cents more a gallon. If you fill up with 10 gallons that is only $3 more. If you compare it to the cost of a $5,000 vacation it is nothing.

9. SleepyDeb

SleepyDeb Mouseketeer

We are not talking 30 cents more a gallon, we are talking $2.66 more a gallon. This is not a "convenience tax" that I would pay and shrug. This is gouging and the hidden signs puts it in a different catagory. We drove an additional mile and paid $3.29 instead of $5.95.

They have the right to charge that silly expensive price and I have the right to ask the kind people on here where to get gas at a decent price and drive right by them. I hope everyone else does too.

10. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

Yes that is gouging. I don't blame you for driving an extra mile for that. I guess enough people fill up there so they feel they can get away with that BS. As someone also said you can fill up at any station within 20-30 miles of the airport and the gas gauge is still going to be on F when you drop off the car.

11. pyramid2000

pyramid2000 <font color=blue>Member of the DD Geek invasion of

Yup, happened to me when we stayed across from the airport. Noticed the price after we put in about 7 gallons for $40!:faint: Went down the street and they said they get fined every month. but it doesn't stop them. :rolleyes2

12. jmarsh

jmarsh Mouseketeer

Thank you for this information. I will be renting a car and now I know what to look for.

13. hrhdhd

hrhdhd Mouseketeer

I live in Orlando and don't visit Disney because they gouge--$14 to PARK?

It's all in one's perspective . . . :stir:

14. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

At least at WDW you have a choice as to whether to go or not. When we go for medical care, the parking is $12 per day, or $4 for the first hour charge. It is rare to be out in one hour or less.

15. hrhdhd

hrhdhd Mouseketeer

Huh? As far as I know, no one is forcing anyone to get gas at these stations. :rolleyes2 Pull in, check the price on the pump, accept it or drive away. If you're late for a flight, that's not the gas station's fault.

And it's probably a better deal than letting the rental car company fill up the tank, anyway.

16. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Yep. The older articles said that the fine was $250 per day. They are surely earning far more than that per day from the last minute gas-buyers.

Disney owns the land and has the right to charge for the use of their land. Couldn't you buy an AP that includes the parking cost if you wanted to go enough?

And that's the mindset they are going for. "We're here, might as well do it".

I'd prefer to go to a NON-sneaky gas station.

17. hrhdhd

hrhdhd Mouseketeer

I don't understand this argument, which also applies to these gas stations. They own the property, which happens to be near the airport, and they own the gas. If you need gas bad enough, you will pay the price.

18. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

The problem with those two stations was that the price was not posted on the street nor clearly displayed on the pump until after you swiped your credit card.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

19. hrhdhd

hrhdhd Mouseketeer

Do you have a link to prove the second part of your statement (my bold)? I have never seen that fact referenced in the numerous articles about this subject that I've read over the last few years.

I will go to one of the stations this week on my way home and test this theory. (I've been watching too much Law & Order today.)

And the point stands, really, even if you have to swipe your card to see the price: don't like it, drive away.

Sometimes I go to Macy's and see something I like. I take it to the scanner to check the price. If it's too high for my liking, I don't buy it. I don't get mad because the price wasn't on a sign outside.

20. SleepyDeb

SleepyDeb Mouseketeer

They have the right to charge the price, and we have the right to warn ppl of their 80% "convenience fee" and to complain about it. Knowing the price and that there are alternatives close by the is the key. With that knowledge, most will stay away from them. Too bad they don't choose to do what the city is insisting they do, post their prices where people can see them from the street like almost every other gas station in America does.

21. Caseheidi

Caseheidi DIS Veteran

Just curious...If you don't do Disney, why are you on the DIS?