Gas prices going up again!!!

RBork- do you live in MD,too? For those of you that haven't heard, our Baltimore Gas and Electric company (previously regulated) is coming up for deregulation in July. This means that they are planning a 72% increase in our bills just in time for the hot days of summer. I don't know how people are going to be able to pay their bills. :badpc: This winter, we kept our thermostat down when home, off during working hours, put extra plastic over the windows etc which kept us around the 200.00 mark during winter. I hate the thought of paying 350 for the same thing.
Our gas is going up, too. We're planning a trip to Maine this summer and for the first time I'm really budgeting for gas and tolls. Money I'd much rather spend on other things!

just make the gas be $3.75 per gallon in your budget for Disney...

mind was $3.50 until this latest rise...

this March I went to WDW - gas was one price on the way down - it has gone up on the way back....

now I try to make sure I am covered.... It shouldn't get that high (I am going in May) - but it is best to have a little more than you need than find out you didn't budget enough....

I hate to fly.... although SW does tempt me....especially when I staying onsite at Disney the entire time... (not this trip nor the next)

And I am reminded of why I take the subway to work.. LOL!
I know for a lot of you that's not an option, but what I find interesting is that I am the ONLY one of my coworkers who does. And the rest of them whine about gas prices. I filled up two weeks ago and I "might" have to fill up this weekend....

The subway station, gym and grocery are all pretty close to my condo so I don't drive a lot on a day to day basis.

Yesterday, gas was $2.69. Today, $2.79 for the reg. I just told my hubby that gas has gone up exactly $1.00 a gallon since we left for Disney last June. I remember filling up the day before we left for $1.79 a gallon. I'm also trying to consolidate trips, etc. Yes, I drive a Tahoe and I love it. But, I'm also complaining about the gas. No way, could we all fit into some little 4 door!

rbork said:
To the poster who said, just sell them and buy something cheaper...who'd buy it at a decent price now? I couldn't sell it if I wanted too.

Sorry about that....just kinda get worked up when everyone starts talking about gas prices and blaming the oil companies because that's what they see/hear on the news.

I guess I should be happy that people drive bigger vehicles and help to make the prices go higher. Better job security for me.....

Speed :teleport:

Tinkerbelle32 said:
Yes, I drive a Tahoe and I love it. But, I'm also complaining about the gas. No way, could we all fit into some little 4 door!

I agree...but, last year...my friend traded his 150hp 4 cylinder mini-van for a 300hp Suburban. I asked him why he would want to do this and waste so much money on gas. He just said he wanted a Suburban.

That's fine...everyone has their own choices to make. Now he drives around in a Suburban and his wife in a Tahoe. Yesterday, he asks me how I can afford to go to Disney 3 times within the next year. First, I tell him it's because of all of the wonderful people on this board. Next, I tell him it's because I'm not spending $150 per week on gas for my 2 vehicles.

I guess that's what's great about this country. Everyone has a choice. If you love your Tahoe, then that's great. I love my Sentra and my Camry. My friend likes to drive in luxury and I like to waste more money on WDW vacations :teeth:

Speed :teleport:

I didn't ask for the mini-van, but had another child and our family didn't fit in our SUV. I absolutely hate driving around in that thing. It's supposed to be a nice one (Town and Country),but I still hate the fact that I'm close to middle age, a little overweight, and now......the mini-van. :furious:

rbork said:
Getting ready to leave for Florida in 2 Weeks! Driving! We planned on 300$ in fuel round trip. Now at 3$ per gal. - it will run $450. Checked into flying but thats $900+ for 4 still cheaper to drive dare I say. I do consolidate and change my driving habits for $3 a gallon. AND YES I do drive an expedition- IT's paid for in full. To the poster who said, just sell them and buy something cheaper...who'd buy it at a decent price now? I couldn't sell it if I wanted too. We even MOVED to a smaller house recently to be in the same city as our jobs to cut costs.. and guess what? Now Gas/Electric will be going up 75% due to some deregulation @#!t. Can't win.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Right there with ya. Our expedition is a 97, and it has been paid off for some time now. Yes I could sell it, but we probably couldn't get but about 5,000 out of it. We even plan to put a new engine in it when this one dies because I don't want another car payment on top of the cost of gas. SO I will keep driving the Jeep whereever I can and park the expedition until July...LOL

With the gas prices going up and being on a budget really has me worried. We are expecting our third child in July and I hate to see what the price of gas is going to be then. I will be delivering in a town that is 15 minutes away, but that 15 minute drive can be costly if gas is $3 or over. Especially with DH having to drive back home from the hospital to let our dogs out {we have a Rott who doesn't like anyone but his family, so we can't ask anyone do it for us}.

DH was talking about taking our DS to Cedar Point in June, but if gas is going to be this outragous, that will have to wait until next year and DH will just have to take him fishing instead.

Will gas prices ever stop going up? I'm really starting to think the Amish have the best idea of using a horse and buggy.

Yes, its pretty bad when you have to factor in your gas costs to everything. I'm supposed to meet a friend for dinner tomorrow night. I have to drive 30 miles to get to the restaurant that I chose a couple of weeks ago. 30 miles each way = 60 miles round trip. 18 miles per gallon... a little over 3 gallons is $9 just for the drive. Thinking about changing it to a restaurant here in town.

Is that being cheap? :confused3

loveswdw said:
Yes, its pretty bad when you have to factor in your gas costs to everything. I'm supposed to meet a friend for dinner tomorrow night. I have to drive 30 miles to get to the restaurant that I chose a couple of weeks ago. 30 miles each way = 60 miles round trip. 18 miles per gallon... a little over 3 gallons is $9 just for the drive. Thinking about changing it to a restaurant here in town.

Is that being cheap? :confused3

No, not cheap, smart. I really feel like if everyone changed their driving habits just a little and were smarter about how they spend their gas, prices would go down. It's supply and demand, right? Yes, I know the current increase is based on speculation, but if demand decreases then supplies will increase. I'm no economist, but if there's ample supply of something isn't it supposed to be cheaper?

It takes me 17 minutes just to get a gallon of milk but I still manage to do all of my errands in town all at once, thus saving gas. I shop only every two weeks and if we run out of something then we make due. I too kept my house cooler this winter and was shocked when I got a bill from my propane company for $139.00 because I did not use enough propane (talk about trying to do something good for the world and getting smacked down for it). I am changing companies all together!!!

thelittlemermaid said:
With the gas prices going up and being on a budget really has me worried. We are expecting our third child in July and I hate to see what the price of gas is going to be then. I will be delivering in a town that is 15 minutes away, but that 15 minute drive can be costly if gas is $3 or over. Especially with DH having to drive back home from the hospital to let our dogs out {we have a Rott who doesn't like anyone but his family, so we can't ask anyone do it for us}.

DH was talking about taking our DS to Cedar Point in June, but if gas is going to be this outragous, that will have to wait until next year and DH will just have to take him fishing instead.

Will gas prices ever stop going up? I'm really starting to think the Amish have the best idea of using a horse and buggy.

Maybe you could get rid of the dog.Sorry, I'm sure he's a member of your family, but I get nervous with rotweiller and baby used in the same paragraph.

staceyfe said:
I'm no economist, but if there's ample supply of something isn't it supposed to be cheaper?

Ideally, yes. However, one must remember that a cartel control much of the oil supply (OPEC) and can also artificially keep prices higher by contricting production.

Gas went down .03 here in my area. Could see the $2.80 mark again soon! Was VERY surprised to see that, but happy to see a downward spiral now! :woohoo: It's not much, but definitely a start!

First off, Tiggerlover91, I am so impressed by your weight loss. You go!!! What an achievement!! :thumbsup2

I read or heard somewhere recently that if people just slow down a little bit, that can have a huge impact, too, regardless of what anyone is driving. I drive a minivan and sure do miss my little Honda Civic. I am no longer in a hurry to get anywhere, and the only time I'm going to stomp on the gas or the brake is when I HAVE to. I'll stretch that fill-up any way I can. :goodvibes

I paid 3.15 a gallon today. I wondered what it would take to make me reconsider plans and this is it. I have really started paying attention to where I drive, and asking myself if I really need to go somewhere before I just hop in and go.

My gas went down 8 cents today! I thought I was getting a deal and filled up at $2.77 (I was at 3/4 a tank but wanted to get it before it went up more - and it still cost me $20!) Anyway, I saw a station later that had been at $2.79 down to $2.71. Most of the stations here have been $2.85.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter