Garden Grill

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by kopppa33, Oct 30, 2012.

1. kopppa33

kopppa33 Mouseketeer

How is the food there? Do you like? This is the one with the rotation I believe right and Characters? If I get motion sickeness easily should i pass on this one?:cool1:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

Yep, this restaurant rotates and has a few characters (off memory I believe Chip, Dale, Pluto and Mickey in farmer gear). It rotates very slowly. I don't think you'll have a problem with motion sickness.

I don't recall the food being bad, but I do remember it was our least favorite of the trip. We are doing it again in February, so it clearly wasn't something that will keep us away! :thumbsup2

4. kris4360

kris4360 DIS Veteran

We love the food! AUCE Family style, beef, turkey and fish with smashed potatoes, dressing and veggie. And dessert. The restaurant doesnt turn that fast i don't think you should have a problem with motion sickness.

5. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Common sense is so rare, should be a Super Power.

Our Ratings of Garden Grill: (rev 2/13/12)
    . . . food price value: B
    . . . food quality: C
    . . . food quantity per serving: A
    . . . food prep speed: B
    . . . food selection: C
    . . . seating quantity: C
    . . . seating comfort: C
    . . . eatery atmosphere: B
    . . . eatery convenience: B
    . . . staff friendliness: B
    . . . staff attentiveness: C
    . . . character interaction: B

NOTE1: The eatery revolves within The Land pavilion. Portions of the spin
    include farm scenes from the boat ride. The food is plentiful, with quality
    about average. Remember, you pay for the characters and not the food or
    food quality. Food is served "family style" and there is always more, as it is
    all-you-care-to-eat. The characters include Mickey, Pluto and Chip-n-Dale.

NOTE2: The lower deck tables have seats on one-side, which can make talking
    among the table diners tough, especially if you have six-to-eight people, which
    takes about 12-feet in linear distance. This also means that you cannot easily
    stand to interact with characters. The upper level has standard tables that
    seat people facing each other and you can stand and interact. I recommend
    the upper tier for characters; lower for viewing the river-ride scenery. The
    is little chance of motion sickness, asa the eatery moves so slowly. If you do
    have a concern, as for the upper level where such happens rarely.

6. Princess on the Run

Princess on the Run Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

We did not like the food or really much of anything about Garden Grill but I think you will see that my family is in the minority on this issue because a lot of people love it. The food choices aren't things my family cares for and I did not like the fixed menu at all. I thought the kids platters were very unbalanced nutritionally and wasn't overly enthused with what they brought for adults either. The aisles are very narrow and with the characters coming around, there was a lot of congestion. The character interaction is fantastic though. We will never go back but I know it seems to be high on a lot of people's lists so take my opinions with a grain of salt or two.

7. lovedworld

lovedworld Mouseketeer

We were there 3 weeks ago. We loved the food and the characters were great. The resturant rotates very slowly, we did just about one rotation during the whole meal. I think you should try it and decide for yourself. We loved it.

8. Space Mountain Kid

Space Mountain Kid Mouseketeer

We love the food there, its very good. the characters i believe are mickey,minnie,chip,dale and i believe goofy and pluto. the garden grill rotates slowly so i dont think it will be a problem. but garden grill is a thumbs up for me and my family.:thumbsup2

9. wcpamotm

wcpamotm It's never too late to have a happy childhood

It's likely to be the slowest "ride" you'll experience the entire time.

10. Roxychica7

Roxychica7 DIS Veteran

We ate there back in 2008 and are eating there again. It is a very laid back character dinner. We personally thought the food was excellent and fresh!

The GG rotates SO slowly. You will just notice that the views below will start to shift scenes but at a very gradual pace. You will definitely NOT notice it is moving even if you get up and walk around. :thumbsup2

11. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Common sense is so rare, should be a Super Power.

I always thought the wrong line at the bank was the slowest "ride".

12. RachaelA

RachaelA DIS Veteran

We just ate there 2 weeks ago. The food was not bad, but it wasn't good. It was pretty mediocre. I did like the character interaction in the sense that they all came by 4-5 times in the 90 minutes we were there other than Mickey who just came by twice.

DD enjoyed Chef Mickey's much more though because she loved dancing around and waving her napkin during the song. And she had much more room to move around with the characters while at Garden Grill, your space is much more limited. DH and I thought the food was a bit better at CM's too (probably because there were more options).

We won't be going back anytime soon.

13. conniehar90

conniehar90 DIS Veteran

We went last year. The character interaction is great. I thought the food was good but my DD (who was 10) didn't like what was on the adult platter. They were more than happy to bring her the kids platter but we had to pay the adult price. She honestly didn't really like the food on the kids platter either so I felt like I paid a ton of money for nothing. We won't be back.

14. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I am a Hard Core Foodie and while Boma is MUCH more my style, I go to GG when SIL travels with me as she is very "Meat and Potatoes." I have not found anything there to be BAD. In fact, the flank steak, seasonal veggies and salad are downright GOOD. The turkey is standard Butterbal-ized white meat injected with all kinds of crap. The stuffing is straight of the box as are the mashed potatoes. The cobbler was good fruit topped with straight out of the box yellow cake mix cake type topping. We both get full and we both leave happy--so what's not to like????

15. DJHPMouse

DJHPMouse Earning My Ears

Our family loves Garden Grill. A must for us every trip.

16. pixarmom

pixarmom DIS Veteran

Garden Grill has always been our boys' favorite character meal and our arrival night tradition for longer trips. Our kids are now ages 5, 12 and 13, and they have always loved it. Great character interaction, very low key for a character meal and we love the non-buffet family style service.

As for the food, I have always loved the bread and salad. Sometimes the flank steak is really good and sometimes it's OK. Sometimes the fish is great and sometimes it's OK. I've never eaten much of the dessert because I'm pretty much full after the salad and bread! Our oldest son eats exclusively from the adult platters and likes everything except for the fish.

As for the kids' items, they have changed. Our youngest likes the chicken, mac and cheese and the mashed potatoes. Our middle son is our pickiest eater, and he likes the bread, the mashed potatoes and the mac and cheese. (We require a few veggies - not their favorite part of the meal, but they eat them.) I really love the sweet potato fries they bring out with the kids' platter, but the kids aren't crazy about them.

So I'd say overall it's a great character meal. We're significantly decreasing our character dining because of the ages of our kids and the frequency of our Disney vacations. But Garden Grill still makes the cut - it's our only character meal of the week in January!

17. charmedlife3517

charmedlife3517 Mouseketeer

We ate there last week and I loved it. Everything was delicious. I thought this would be the one meal I wouldn't like so much but it was probably my favorite dinner of the trip. The characters were wonderful and stopped by our table twice. The restraunt rotates very slowly so you probably wont even notice and I doubt you would get motion sickness from it.

18. kgsmith

kgsmith DIS Veteran

We loved Garden Grill. We loved the character interaction, and I thought the food was quite good -- especially the fresh veggies.

DS10 requested that we go back in March!

19. AuntPol

AuntPol Earning My Ears

I ate there last Thursday night and got motion sickness and vomited after exiting the restaurant and my daughter missed the fireworks because she got sick too. My husband also was very dizzy. I don't usually get motion sickness but the restaurant was moving at a good pace. It wasn't so bad when eating and interacting with characters but the other times were hard. Only my son didn't motion sickness (he was only one that didn't get sick on Mission Space Orange though).

It took 10 minutes for our waiter to come and take our drink order. We asked for a new straw because we got our drinks mixed up and the waiter slammed about a dozen down. We asked to have mac and cheese substituted for the fish (we don't eat fish and my daughter is vegetarian/picky). We got the fish and a vegetarian plate that I had to send back to get mac and cheese that we requested. It took a long time to get food because they had to make the vegetarian plate that we didn't want and sent back from scratch.

The food was mostly mediocre -the butter/bread is great and the dessert was very good.

When making reservations, we indicated that this was was a birthday celebration for my son. We reminded at check-in and it was on the slip that goes to waiter and my son had on his birthday button. The waiter did not acknowledge the birthday at all. (Fortunately, the waitress at Akershus noticed his button and did a great celebration the next day-though it wasn't put on reservation there).

The character interaction was among the best. Most of the characters spent a lot of time at our table (Chip and Dale were especially hilarious -Pluto was boring and just came and posed each time -though he was much better on his last visit to the table but I had to initiate the interaction). Dale came about 5 times, Chip and Pluto 4 times, and Mickey 3 times.

The restaurant seemed to be mostly older adults without kids and there were only a few families with kids.

This is one of the restaurants that we did that we won't do again on a different trip.

20. GenevieveRaqs

GenevieveRaqs DIS Veteran

I am sorry that your experience was disappointing. It certainly is no fun to be sick.

However, I did want to point out that there is NEVER a guarantee that you will get any special treatment for a celebration, even if it is noted on your reservation. That is really completely random and should be treated as an extra surprise when it happens--not something to be expected. It is possible at most restaurants to order a special cake at an additional cost--this is the only way to guarantee a celebration.

21. AuntPol

AuntPol Earning My Ears

Yes -we discovered that! We booked 8 table reservations -and 3 of them were celebrations (one birthday, one anniversary, and one personal triumph). None of them were even mentioned by server (not even a verbal acknowledgement) so I am not sure why they even ask at reservation if they are not going to do or even say anything? Then you would be beside a table that they predecorated, etc (different server). However, we did have the birthday acknowledged with a cupcake 3 times without mentioning it and at Akershus, they brought out a birthday card which was unexpected. Once was the restaurant that we were celebrating our anniversary LOL -and the other two were just random. That was a nice surprise. It really comes down to the servers and their mood that day. I found the range in service very extreme at Disney.

Anyway, with Garden Grill -it was not so much the lack of celebration as the that was just one example of the poor service (waiting over 10 minutes for to be even acknowledged that we were sitting there much less getting drinks, slamming straws down, slow refills, not bringing the food we wanted). I think the restaurant spinning might make it harder for the servers to keep up since people are in a different place every 5 minutes!