Gallbladder... [UPDATE!: CT showed nothing- WHAT NOW?! Second Opinions!] post 15

I don't know whether it's not functioning at all or just really low. When I spoke to my nurse, she said "Well.... we got your bloodwork back and it looks like your thyroid medicine REALLY needs to be adjusted." To which I replied "But.... I've never beeon on thyroid medicine..." Then she said "Well... you probably should have been awhile ago, and you definitely need to be on it now!"

No pain other than the abdominal stuff I'm dealing with. She thinks I might have stomach complications from the thyroid (paresis, I think?)... anyway... that's why I'm having the barium swallow... it will have nothing to do with my gallbladder.

Otherwise, it's just a waiting game... waiting to see what her other GI thinks about everything. Perhaps it will work out to where I could have the surgery around my school's spring break (1st full week in april). That would be convenient :)

I'm looking forward to taking the thyroid medicine [no clue what she's putting me on]... apparently they didn't get around to calling it in on Friday... [because the nurse had my chart scheduling my test, and the Dr. hadn't written out what she wanted called in yet]... but I'm sure it willl be first thing on Monday or something like that. :woohoo:

I'm just so happy today :)

Hugs to you......I wonder what they will put you on.. Levoxil or synthroid.....the thing is if you are that low, why didn't they call in a script. These doctors amaze me.....you have to wait till Monday.. amazing. Hope you feel better and that the thyroid meds help when they finally give them to you.. :)

I just wanted to add my words of support. I smiled when I read that you were actually happy to hear something was wrong because I've been through that. Nothing worse than feeling lousy and having everyone say they can't figure it out.

I'm basically living through that right now. I'm on my last leg of hopefully finding some help somewhere.

12 years ago they removed my gallbladder after I had an attack while I was pregnant. Turned out to be the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life. I'm now on so much medication it's crazy. I'm probably in the minority when I say I'd prefer to live with the gallbladder pain than what I live with now but it's the truth.

I hope the thyroid medication is the solution to all your troubles. And i'm glad they didn't just remove your gallbladder hoping it would solve the probem.

Good luck! :goodvibes

Omg i am so glad i found you guys ..I have been having probs since jan ..Doc though i had a enlarged espogus..I took the prilocec and gaviscon for 2 weeks ..I did feel better ..Then i had kfc freid chicken 2 days in a row ..Omg i thought i was dying ..I am on anixety meds for panic attacks ..I started with pain on the left side went into my shoulder into my jaw ...All on the left side ...Scared the heck out of me ..I then realized if i rubbed down the middle of my chest i could get out a burp ..That attack lasted like 5 hrs ...I had to sit up straight ..I almost fell o n the floor when i did fall asleep ...I then started with a lump in my throat ...And when i ate i had pain down the middle of my breast ..I called the doc he said i think it may be your gallbladder ... So off to digestive dease i go ...She told me to take prilo in the morning and aciphex at night before i eat dinner ..Plus the gaviscon or rolaids ..I had an ultrasound and the endo scope ..Took a byopsy and they just called to say it was negative .So now what ...They said no gall stones but i did have a fatty liver ..So what tests will be next ?/:sad2:

Lori... sorry for your suffering! I completely understand!:grouphug:

As far as testing, I survived the barium swallow yesterday... no results yet, but I'm really at peace with things now. I know my primary Dr. isn't going to give up on this :thumbsup2

I also started taking synthroid today (my pharmacy was behind on Monday... didn't get it until 9pm when it was called in early in the afternoon)... couldn't take it yesterday morning because I had to fast for the swallow. Anyway... I'm feeling much better already- still sore where my gallbladder is, but I'm much happier with pain than I am with nausea :goodvibes

I'll post if/when I get results :)

I cant stand the pain ..All on the left side or down the middle ..I am afraid to eat i have lost 10lbs One good thing ..But the pain freaks me out and then i have the anxiety ....I dont go back till the 20th ..Sucks i have to keep taking all this stuff ..And the test still didnt tell us anything ...And most of these test my insureance doesnt cover ...So i guess my trip for next yr ..might be put on hold ...I hate being sick ...Almost everytime i eat i have chest pain .And ive been not eating fatty stuff ..I dont no what to eat ..One thing i am 100lbs over weight so maybe this is a good thing lol ..:confused3

The only thing I've really been able to eat without problems is Campbell's "Soup at Hand" in "Chicken & Stars" and "Chicken & mini noodles"... no spices or anything... well... that and club crackers. I find that eating as if I have a stomach bug is useful.

I'd started keeping a food diary with how different things made me feel. Also... one question lots of people (radiologists, xray techs, gastrointerologist's nurse, my primary doctor & her nurse... plus coworkers) ask is how long after eating does the pain start... that can help lead them in a direction.

I'm sorry that your insurance isn't covering the tests. I've been lucky that mine has (the HIDA scan was over $3000!!! :scared1: ) However... I have had to fight them for one anti-nausea med... it would've been $1000 for 60 pills! :scared1: )

Hopefully you'll get a "positive" test result soon... I hate it that you have to wait until the 20th though... that was one thing that bugged the living daylights out of me w/ my former GI... she'd make me wait at least 4 weeks after seeing her/having a test done... that's just not condusive to being in pain and being sick!

Here's more hugs for you! :grouphug:

Well at least the lump in my throat went away since they did the scope test ...I ate the broth and soup for a whole week ..I have been gradually adding food ..Pizza didnt seem to bother me ..But i ate it on monday a different brand and omg ..So i am back to eating bland ..I started to eat the weight watchers meals ..Smaller portion and when i have no idea those are good for me ..I made the family spagetti yestarday So i ate one of my dinners ..It is easy now and i told everybody ill make it for you guys but i cant eat it ...Maybe ill loose weight this way ..But eating soup sometimes i feel sick on the stomach i think it is greasy ...I was afraid to eat 2 weeks ago .I thought if i eat something gasy id have probs ..But i dont ..I have eaten chicken and eggs and hasnt done anything ..:sad2:

Hi I never post on this board, but I just had to!

I ha d all the same symptoms and I was diagnosed with a non-functioning gall bladder. I took that same test-where they inject you full of that radioactive stuff to watch that awful tasting stuff move through your gall bladder. But on my test the stuff didn't move through-it just stalled in my gall bladder. So my GI diagnosed me as having a non-functioning gallbladder. It was removed and all is fine now!

If it's your thyroid, where is the pain coming from?

I'm curious b/c I've been having problems for a year. Started with the pain in my back by my right shoulder blade, lump in my throat. I was taking Prilosec 2x/day for several months, but stopped taking them about 2-3 months ago. Lump in throat is pretty much gone on most days. Some days it comes back, but not like before. I have the pain under my shoulder blade every day. I can't associate it with food. I had the HIDA scan which showed my gb functioning at about 24%...my doc's on the fence about surgery.

Some days I feel like it may be my gallbladder, but other days I think it may be something else. I have body aches quite frequently. Feels like I'm getting the flu, my legs ache and I get tired. That wouldn't be associated with your gb, would it?

Well... the results from my barium swallow came back... and guess what? It was like all my other test results! (negative):sad1: :eek:

My primary doctor wants me to see a surgeon... she still feels like it's my gallbladder- perhaps the beginnings of a chronic gallladder problem.

I've made an appointment for my surgical consult for Tuesday @ 3. We'll see what happens :)

Did they do your HIDA scan with CCK? I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I know that when they added the CCK part to my scan it caused me to have severe pain and vomiting! It duplicated the problems that I'd been having. So, they decided to take out my gallbladder. I never had stones, but the pathology came back abnormal. I was really glad that they took it out before it got worse. Your problems sound very similar to what I was having.

:grouphug: hugs to everyone here ..Im glad to no im not the only one ..It scares the crap out of you and my hubby thinks im nuts..Like i like to act sick ..No one helps me anyway .lol.. :confused3 ..My probs are just the bad chest pain lump in the throat when i eat, shoulder pain burning like deep in my ****..and all on the left side ..I havent had a attach since 2weks ago but now i must wait 2 weeks till they decide what next...well :grouphug: hugs again and good luck to all ....Lori

I know I never vomited with gallbladder issues and have posted this before that I did have my gallbladder out and the following week was back in the hospital with the same pain. At that time they determined it was GERD and I had my gallbladder out for no reason..

Here's the thing with GERD, I do not have heartburn... I have crushing pain in the middle of my chest, sometimes behind the shoulder too. As it has been explained to me, there is like a valve that covers the esophagus and as we age...this is in my case, it does not work as well......it spasms and causes the acid to come up in waves and hence those pains..

Yesterday I went to the Doctor, actually gynocologist, who asked me a million and one questions, I was there for a Pap...anyway, she said to if I lost weight I would not have so many issues with GERD......I am trying to lose weight and working out at the gym 5 days a week, but wondered if anyone has said that to any of you... Lose weight and your symptoms will go away.. :headache: that is suppose to be a crabby face..

Dont they always blame it on the weight?? I get so tired of that comment ..I have pcos and i cant loose the weight ..So i have a horible combat between my insulin and the weight ..If i get one down it will help but it is a battle with alot of women ...Though since im not eating much these days i have lost 10 lbs...My freind got gerd just around the same time i started with all my symtoms ..I was wondering the same thing ...Still when they told me i have a fatty liver the doc walked away and i was still under sadation i go what the
He@@ is a fatty liver and the nurse says ..Well when you heavy like we are it is normal ..So im waiting for the loose some weight lecture and im gona ask him how since i have the pcos... Sorry just needed to vent ..Lori

Did they do your HIDA scan with CCK? I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I know that when they added the CCK part to my scan it caused me to have severe pain and vomiting! It duplicated the problems that I'd been having. So, they decided to take out my gallbladder. I never had stones, but the pathology came back abnormal. I was really glad that they took it out before it got worse. Your problems sound very similar to what I was having.
If I'm not mistaken, the CCK is the synthetic fat. That's the way it was explained to me when I had mine done. My docs are on the fence about removal and the pain being caused by my gb. My function was only around 24%, but I didn't have the pain during the test, only nausea. The doc said if the synthetic fat would've caused the same pain, he'd definitely recommend removal. However, the tech told me during the test that even people who don't have gb problems can have symptoms from the synthetic fat. So who the hell knows what to believe. :confused3

Oh, and as far as weight affecting your GERD, I think it's bull. I only weigh about 114 and I have reflux problems, too.

It is remarkable that I am recovering from gallbladder surgery 2 days ago and found this thread! I am in alot of pain--but I will take this over the attacks that started on our vacation to WDW in Nov...horrible attack our first night thought I was having a heart attack(but on the wrong side!) Hang in there I hope you feel better!

Well i was to the doc on tuesday ,he didnt have much to say but it isnt my galbladder..But he just did the endo scope and ultrasound and blood work ..I have pretty much given up on all fatty foods i dont eat after 6 no snacks and i have cut down my food intake ...Since i was sooooo sick i have lost 20 lbs....I am amazed since i have pcos and cant loose weight ....I still worry if it is my heart or not ...He said keep doing what im doing and hell see me back in 3 months ..So hope fully i wont need any more tests ...How is every body else doing ....I go to the famliy doc tom so well see what he says ......Good luck to everybody ....

Oh my god. I can't believe that other people have the exact same problem as I do! How comforting. I have been sick for a year and a half with nausea, vomiting, bloating, intense pain in my abdomen and back. Gallbladder was borderline and my GI wants to wait for it to go away. UGH. I am so sick of being sick! Thanks for giving me hope that this may actual get resolved!

Hello! I had gallbladder attacks for years but didn't know what it was. I honestly thought I was getting some kind of bug about three times a year. I would be in intense pain ( I have a high level of pain tolerence), I would vomit horrible and have diarrea (sp). I would never run fevers and no one else in the family or that I worked with would "catch" this bug. I would have to lay on a hard floor and try to get some kind of comfort. Didn't work and it would be the worst 24-48 hours of pain. I would take maalox, tums, any over the counter things I could find for pain but only to throw it up. During these attacks I would be white as a ghost. Well i work with children so I just thought it was a bug.
However in 1999 we went to WDW for the first time. I got an attack there. Only no vomiting but severe nausua and pain. I couldn't eat anything. This time the pain didn't go away in two days. It actually lasted about a month when one of my sons realized something was horribly wrong. I thought I swore him to secretcy but he told my sisters on a Saturday morning. They threatened to take me to the hospital but I assured them I would call the dr on Monday. I had the pain for a month with not relief. I went to the dr on mon and the surgeon that afternoon. They wanted to do surgery that day but I asked them to wait until Thursday so I could make arrangements with my kids that I work with.
I had gallbladder "sludge". Never heard of it. But it is like mud and he kinda moves inside the gallbladder. I had let it go so long that I had a serious abcessed gallbladder. The surgery took 15 minutes and I went home the next day. I can't believe I let it go so many years. Not the smartest thing I have ever done. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts