GAC gotchas at WDW

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by Annielkd22222, Apr 7, 2013.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 DIS Veteran

For folding chairs, the website does specifically state that folding cane chairs and walker chairs that are primarily used as mobility devices are allowed (at least Disneyland's does, I would assume Disney World is the same), that being said, I know many find it easier to ask to borrow a wheelchair at each ride that it is needed, especially if they might not need the seat at too many of the attractions.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

Well I was going by what the mgr there tod me when I complimented them on how much better the system seemed to be running by them doing it this way. I have ridden this ride over 30 times on various trips and I watch and pay attention to what is going on around me and I have been in a party of as big as 4 and as small as a party of 1 and prior to this trip have NEVER seen or been pulled out of line and have watched them send ride vehicles thru half empty. We (other guests and myself) have had conversations in line about how they could more effectivelly load the ride. But at the time it was more about who was next in line rather than matching party sizes up. That has been "my" experiences on my trips. The manager I spoke with said they had revamped their loading policy to move that line thru move effectively. Maybe that has always been their policy but the CMs we encountered were not loading guests that way. Maybe now mgt is enforcing it! And watching them...but I was told it was new. So sorry for saying it was new.

4. KPeveler

KPeveler Moderator Moderator

It may be new as an official policy they are meant to use all the time. That may be what the manager meant.

I have seen CMs using this technique for loading since they opened the ride basically in both WDW and DL but it was not used consistently. So maybe now this is the official procedure everyone is supposed to use.

5. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

It was very consistently used at WDW for Toy Story Mania.

Because it only 'works' if they have groups of the correct sizes to fill a ride car, someone could go many times and not see it used. Even if you have a group of one or 2, there still needs to be a group of 4 to mix with because they won't make 2 strangers sit together on that attraction.

I don't know, but this does not seem to me to be a thing there would need to be a policy for. At other attractions, they do this all the time for the regular line. They will ask at Soarin' for example if there are any groups of 2 or 3 or whatever the number of seats they need to fill if the ones ahead of them are larger than will fit.

6. disney david

disney david DIS Veteran

They been doing that for a while maybe a year or more they converted the single rider line into groups of two. So when the regular line and fast pass line converge if your a party of two they send you up the right side if the stairs and the rest go to the left. With or without gac they do it automatically so if you don't mind splitting up say your party's of two. I guess they found it harder to to fill two seats instead of one because they way they load they need a round number. So if your two or willing to say your two and use a fast pass you can get in pretty quick unless their a line for fast pass. This is the best thing because it gives a faster way for everyone to get on and also gives the guest waiting in the regular line a chance to shorten their rest.

7. dvc one day

dvc one day Mouseketeer

Great answers. I think it's all been covered.

Sue always reminds people of this, but I don't think it can be repeated too much. Even people I know who I have corrected before think GAC's are a designed shortcut. A number of times I have had a longer wait than if I could use the stand-by line on Splash, TSMM, BTMRR, etc. (not to mention if I could use fastpass on those rides)

8. Joanna71985

Joanna71985 <marquee><font color=green>Characters are my frien

Not necessarily. I've had it happen to me before

9. stitchlovestink

stitchlovestink DIS Veteran

bolding is mine....

Actually, not true... this happened to me on my last trip. I was riding TSMM and was in the car and the CM told me to scoot over and they loaded another single rider (a man) next to me. I was totally shocked!! It was the first time that had ever happened there. But I figured I didn't have the right to say 'no' as realistically, how is it any different then test track or RnRC (which I haven't ridden in years, but I know they have a single rider line).
    Now the best part was when our ride cars returned to be unloaded, there was absolutely NO ONE waiting in the queue and the gentleman asked if we could ride again and the two CMs looked at each other and said yeah just hop out and then get in the back car so it isn't as noticable but we don't see it as a big deal. So we got to ride the ride TWICE!! That was pretty cool! :thumbsup2

But I would say the chances of two single riders being in the line at the same time is going to be fairly RARE! :)

10. KPeveler

KPeveler Moderator Moderator

A lot of the reason they don't put two strangers together a lot is because the scores and "special" things depend on working together or competing against each other... I imagine people getting very annoyed if the stranger next to them messed up their "strategy" and complained to the CMs.

Plus, as you whip around corners, you get thrown into each other. That could be very uncomfortable for some people.

I guess WDW is different, because at DL, if there is no one in the wheelchair queue to load, they pretty much always ask us if we want to go again. They don't make us get out or anything. The CMs at that ride are pretty awesome about getting people into the vehicles, very good about asking if we can transfer, etc... But I guess people are also more polite in DL just because we have a bench to sit on while we wait in the wheelchair queue area! It's much easier to wait your turn when you can sit, as opposed to standing some more.

11. oynk

oynk Earning My Ears

Before my daughter was born and began having health issues, we were Disney commandos. I can state unequivocally that having a GAC for her causes a LONGER wait for us at least 50% of the time.

I would divide rides into several categories:

-Your not going to wait no matter what (i.e Figment or most of the shows)

-You really won't wait to long in the standby line, but you will have to wait with the GAC (i.e. Small World or Pirates)

-OMG I wish I could just get a regular fastpass and not have to use the GAC (i.e Thunder Mtn, Safari, Toy Story).

-Hey, what do you know, the GAC actually got us on a bit faster (few and far between).

Most of the time when you show the CM your GAC and the alternate line has a long wait, they will let you know since I know some people can't wait for a long time. We just grin and bear it and try to use smart strategies.

12. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

I've seen them ask, so not sure if it is rare that they put people together without asking.

Considering that some people riding Toy Story Midway Mania have issues besides avoiding stairs that make them use that boarding area and that there is a lot of time waiting for the ride car to arrive, I am very surprised to hear that they would put any strangers together on that ride without asking.